Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

My favorite place lately has been Third Rail Coffee in Greenwich Village. They pull a mean espresso and sell a nice variety of Stumptown and Intelligentsia beans. Only downside is it's tiny so not a great place to sit for a long time.

For iced coffee, I go crazy for Blue Bottle's Kyoto iced coffee, it's so flavorful and almost syrupy. The relatively small cup lasts an impressive amount of time because you really have to sip it.

Also tried La Colombe for the first time and it's great. Most reasonable prices for well done coffee I've found in NYC. I also noticed the way they do iced coffee is pouring hot coffee on ice then topping it with a shot of espresso so it's not too watery. Sometimes cold brew can be too weak for me or it's been sitting in a jug forever so I quite liked their way of doing it.
    music

Comment

• Raw Edge
      • Jan 2008

demitasse is great.

handsome is also great coffee but i don't love the seating.

L.A has some great coffee shops, but has fewer than n.y that I like to sit down and drink one in.

Comment

• t-bone
        • Dec 2009

Magic1, "French Roast" refers to the darkness of the roast, not the origin of the beans. You'll never find coffee grown in temperate climates, thus "everythign is south american or african..."

Also sadly I switched to decaf for a detox a while back and my sleep patterns improved so much I am sticking with it. Its actually not bad at all if you still go with a good local roaster that chooses the beans specifically for the decaf blend (Swiss Water Process tends to cut some acidity and sharpness, so it lends itself well to beans that may have too much up front to begin with!) The only real problem is that its harder to find a great decaf espresso blend, so I've been pulling shots with various SO or regular decaf blends from Grumpy, Oslo, and actually Gorilla has some great dark roasts that lend themselves well to shots.

Best thing about it is that when i DO have a regular shot, it lights me up like a Christmas tree for the rest of the day.

Comment

• Magic1
          • Jan 2011

oh HA, shows what I know

Comment

• fncyths
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
            L.A has some great coffee shops, but has fewer than n.y that I like to sit down and drink one in.
            LAMILL COFFEE in Silverlake has been my spot as of late.

Cafe Tropical makes a killer Cuban cafe con leche as well!
            Originally posted by Shucks
            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
            Originally posted by interest1
            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
              lately I've just been using the filters for my iced coffee... cold brew two french press pots worth of coffee overnight and then filter the pressed cold brew through the chemex for a really crisp and clean iced coffee.
              This is a cold toddy process right? That stuff is rocket fuel
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• seb
                • Feb 2007

Have been to Bonanza Coffee Heroes in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin some time ago.

Really great coffee with crazy machine and super nice guys!

if you´re ever around, check this place out!!

Comment

• homilist
                  • Jun 2012

Best in Chicago:

Star Lounge (small, roast their own beans, interesting artisanal varieties including a reclaiming of robusta blends)

Intelligentsia (a chicago legend, top notch)

La Colombe (ok coffee, legit atmosphere)

Wormhole (insufferable hipster hangout, but good drinks)

Comment

• voice_on_tape
                    • Jun 2011

I'm sitting at starlounge/darkmatter coffee shop right now ironically. It is honestly the best coffee I've ever had. Great shop, great group of baristas, all beans are roasted in house. I'm here daily (foursquare mayor for some time) and there's really not much more you can ask for in a coffee shop.

Some pics of the roasting facility freshly painted by local artist Jason Brammer

His art is also featured in many My Morning Jacket posters including:
                    Last edited by voice_on_tape; 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM.
                    -v_o_t
                    sale items

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                      • Jan 2010

Some things were not created to be "instant". Get up 7 minutes earlier and make french press.

Originally posted by oneforall
                      Hey guys ! i would like to have some advices..wanna get a descent instant coffee for the easy morning , please help
                      THE HOUSE OF DIS
                      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• severin
                        • Feb 2011

basically just repeating something that has been pretty much established in this thread, but i really really love stumptown. it's just delicious. i was working at a cafe in NYC when we switched to stumptown from something that barely qualified as coffee, and it was a revelation for me.

i don't really drink coffee anymore for personal & health reasons. but it'll always be near and dear to my heart.

take me up to the top of the city

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

whenever i am in chelsea for the day, i spend more money at stone street coffee (18th and 9th) than i do lunch.

and i also want to take back what i said about nespresso. it's awful shit for the lazy (me), and i plan to change this next year..

Comment

• leatherscarf
                            • May 2012

Coffee culture is really unsophisticated here in Finland, even we consume most coffee/person. All we drink here is light roast filtered coffee, usually with milk too and cafés usually have shit menus so I need to struggle making my own perfect coffee.. Been thinking about getting a percolator? Anyone has user experiences of one? Or should I just get a Moccamaster?
                            What is your favorite color?

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                              • Jan 2011

^ your part of the continent hosts some of the best aeropress users on the planet, so you might want to go that route for either coffee or an interesting version of 'spro

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by leatherscarf View Post
                                Coffee culture is really unsophisticated here in Finland, even we consume most coffee/person. All we drink here is light roast filtered coffee, usually with milk too and cafés usually have shit menus so I need to struggle making my own perfect coffee.. Been thinking about getting a percolator? Anyone has user experiences of one? Or should I just get a Moccamaster?
                                Move to Norway, if you can afford it
                                I agree overall. There is one place in Helsinki that makes decent coffee, Torrefazzione (the branch on the major shopping street where Stockmann is), but even that is a little weak. Maybe just ask them to put a double shot in your cappuccino.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎