X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maldoror
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by nameless
    http://www.abraconyc.com/ I love this place.
    +1 also, its progenitor: 9th street espresso.

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

Haha, well I sorta agree but I've gone there way too many times lately.

I'm a coffee snob and prefer supporting local shops, but I've found time and time again that in the midwest, Starbucks is consistently better than the local yokel joint. Of course, if you live in a place that has a coffee culture like Chicago, Seattle, or NYC there will be a million local places that make starbucks look like swill.

Many Americans complain about Starbuck's coffee being burnt or too strong, but I'm mostly an espresso drinker so I like it better that way. If you have time get a french press. I got a Sumatra French press the other day at Starbucks that was damn decent.

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
      Who ever calls that black brownish water they serve
      at Starbucks coffee, I'll personally get together a lynch
      mob and hunt you down ...

music

Comment

• soultek
        • Feb 2007

I feel I have to weigh in here. I'm serious about my coffee. I have yet to find a mindblowingly good coffee place in NYC. Granted, my preference is drip--which is tough out here. I've adjusted accordingly and have been drinking espresso drinks more.

I will try Gorilla, and Grumpy's. Have tried Oslo, 9th street, Gimme and some others -- meh..

I went through a French press phase, and I agree with above comments about it. However unless you have a good grinder, you will usually get coffee 'dust' at the bottom which is a bad way to end a drink.

I have tried clover coffee once and I felt that the coffee was too fruity. I prefer a little of the burnt bitter flavor of a more balanced coffee. Perhaps clover machines can be highly variable in their output?

I feel the best coffee in the country originates from the Pacific Northwest. Have had Stumptown, Vivace, 4 Barrels in SF, Blue Bottle in SF, LaMill in LA--these were all very amazing coffee

Siphon is the last 'method' i've tried and I prefer it over the clover method, although I only have one experience from each.

Regarding pulling espresso shots, it's all about creating the right pressure on the tamped coffee. The big variables are the the fineness of the roast and density of the tamped coffee. If done right, you should get the correct volume in a certain amount of time. To me tamping is something that is the biggest variable to taste, experienced baristas can get it right by feel they've done it so much. Unfortunately for us, it's kinda hard to tell if they know what they're doing until you taste it :(

Comment

• Real Real
          • Feb 2007

La Colombe has the most consistently great drip coffee I've ever had.

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by soultek View Post
            I have tried clover coffee once and I felt that the coffee was too fruity. I prefer a little of the burnt bitter flavor of a more balanced coffee. Perhaps clover machines can be highly variable in their output?

I feel the best coffee in the country originates from the Pacific Northwest. Have had Stumptown, Vivace, 4 Barrels in SF, Blue Bottle in SF, LaMill in LA--these were all very amazing coffee
            Clovers are quite variable. Brew temp is adjustable in .5 degree or 1 degree increments, and brew time in 1 second increments. Also, since it is a siphon process but without the water temperature fluctuation, you get a lot of flavor out, many beans aren't flattered. Even some coffees that are flattered by the right settings are ruined by bad ones.

I used to do my work at the Stumptown Annex (yay remote work!), and when they got a new bean, they'd bring in the different ways they were considering roasting it, and those would taste vastly different, but even once they settled on a roast, there was dialin for the clover. I dunno that they still do this, but it was informative, delicious, and twitchy when they did.

Glad to hear 4 barrel started doing their own roasting, I'll check them out next week. When you do your west coast coffee tasting stuff, don't forget Zoka (Seattle) and Ritual (SF). Neither are as good as Stumptown (or even Courier on his good days), but they've both got good roasts, and are more than worth checking out.

And, yeah, you can't fuck around with grinders. I've had a Mazzer grinder for a few years now. Heaven.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• mamaboy
              • Mar 2008

latte on 9str and ave c---i love it...the best shit
              but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• soultek
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                Clovers are quite variable. Brew temp is adjustable in .5 degree or 1 degree increments, and brew time in 1 second increments. Also, since it is a siphon process but without the water temperature fluctuation, you get a lot of flavor out, many beans aren't flattered. Even some coffees that are flattered by the right settings are ruined by bad ones.
                The siphon method I tried was some crazy Japanese one where the process inherently resulted in correct temperature. But the temp is not adjustable. It was a pleasure to watch it brew at the table. LaMill serves it at the table with a bunsen burner two connected round bottomed beakers. It was like 15.00 a carafe.

Also, Hotel del Mano in billyburg was serving Stumptown during the day, but it's only on weekends now. Haven't tried it yet.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by soultek View Post
                  The siphon method I tried was some crazy Japanese one where the process inherently resulted in correct temperature. But the temp is not adjustable. It was a pleasure to watch it brew at the table. LaMill serves it at the table with a bunsen burner two connected round bottomed beakers. It was like 15.00 a carafe.

Also, Hotel del Mano in billyburg was serving Stumptown during the day, but it's only on weekends now. Haven't tried it yet.
                  Yeah, siphon/vacuum pot, right? The temperature isn't adjustable, but is fairly consistent because it relies on increased pressure to force sub-boiling water into a boil, and shoot up to the upper pot. The Clover is (I believe) the same idea, but since it fills the water, then pressurizes and drips, you get temperature adjustment.

This kinda thing, yes?

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• soultek
                    • Feb 2007

^ sorry for the delayed reply: Yes, that's it.

Just got a cup of drip coffee from the MUD coffee truck-> good shit

Comment

• Canaduh0415
                      • Feb 2008

Groundworks in Los Angeles, Sunset and Cahuenga, across from Amoeba Records is pretty bold (flavor), hearty, and austere (decor)....very nice staff also.
                      It has been a very difficult year

Comment

• maldoror
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
                        La Colombe has the most consistently great drip coffee I've ever had.
                        la colombe & capogiro: making philly a better place

edited for lucidity. posting past 4am on a friday night is a always bad call.
                        Last edited by maldoror; 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• destroyed
                          • Nov 2006

old city coffee is way better than la colombe in my opinion
                          but in philly, chestnut hill coffee roasts the best coffee in my opinion
                          broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• landwolf
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2008

I can't participate in this particular roast(coffee pun B-> ) but I can say that my favorite company to buy my beans from is Café La Paz medium roast

Photo is of a bag of dark roast, but the brand is highly recommended.

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                              • Jan 2007

America takes everything to the extreme, nobody was this obsessed with coffee beans when I lived in Naples. Buy decent quality beans, grind 'em, stick them in a Moka pot, or a machine if you have the money for fripperies like that. You can fuck around with roasting your own and buying the latest high-end snake beans for the rest of your life...
                              the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats View Post
                                America takes everything to the extreme, nobody was this obsessed with coffee beans when I lived in Naples. Buy decent quality beans, grind 'em, stick them in a Moka pot, or a machine if you have the money for fripperies like that. You can fuck around with roasting your own and buying the latest high-end snake beans for the rest of your life...
                                Welcome to consumer society. This level of connoisseurship is even more ironic considering that virtually everything of average stature in America (especially food) is complete garbage. Or maybe that's not ironic but a direct cause of it. Still, I would rather not have to think too much about what kind of coffee beans I need to buy.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎