Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanna
    • May 2008

I haven't had coffee in a few months, gave it up for tea for health reasons.

Ordered some coffee from this French place near Union Station over the weekend (They even brought it out in a press) and I must say, it was the most delcious black I've ever had.Robust, savory, super. I think I was tripping after the first sip. Made me gesticulate wildly, well, more than usual.
    Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
      • Aug 2009

...best

Ethiopian.
      No brand in particular, but the stuff they have on the countryside.
      Good, strong, smooth and bitter at the same time, in a good way.
      No milk, no sugar, no nothing but just a lot of fresh black coffee.
      modern man

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
        • Mar 2007

coffee places in nyc

Just got into nyc couple days ago from tokyo...will be spending about 2-3 weeks here doing basically nothing...

Nways, i'd like to ask for recommendations for cafes/coffee places where i can go for good coffee and maybe some cakes, and be able to stay and read/write for several hours without having the waiters/waitresses shoot eye darts at me. Ideally downtown locations...

Am planning to checkout Think Coffee.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers..

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I hate that place. Why does everybody want to go there?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I hate that place. Why does everybody want to go there?
            Never been...only read about it. Why do you hate that place so much?

Any place you'd recommend?

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Had Kopi Luwak this past saturday as a small sample cup. Totally watered down but it had an interesting flavor. The aroma was barely that of identifiable coffee in the traditional sense.

Through my girlfriend's family, we've ordered a couple of kilos of kopi luwak from Vietnam. May have to wait a month for it to all go through but it'll be interesting to have it at home!

I'd love to hear Fausts recommendations on Manhattan coffee shops that are good. The only experiences I've had are quick starsucks/dunkin donuts out of necessity and a cappucino from the front coffee shop at the Alessi store in SoHo which was actually pretty good!
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• polishmike
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post

Cheers..
                Abraco on 86 east 7st and 1ave. Small place but great coffee. They are only open until 6pm.

Comment

• hanajibu
                  • Jan 2007

Just got into nyc couple days ago from tokyo...will be spending about 2-3 weeks here doing basically nothing...

Nways, i'd like to ask for recommendations for cafes/coffee places where i can go for good coffee and maybe some cakes, and be able to stay and read/write for several hours without having the waiters/waitresses shoot eye darts at me. Ideally downtown locations...

Am planning to checkout Think Coffee.

Cheers..
                  Cafe Grumpy, 20th St between 7th and 8th ave. so it's above 14th st, but it's in my neighborhood & I consider myself "downtown". it is open daily until like 8-9p and is quite great. insanely delicious espresso.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by polishmike View Post
                    Abraco on 86 east 7st and 1ave. Small place but great coffee. They are only open until 6pm.
                    Thanks! I walked by Abraco today....after having had coffee somewhere else. So i'll check it out another day. But it's not really a place i can stay for a couple of hours reading though...

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hanajibu View Post
                      Cafe Grumpy, 20th St between 7th and 8th ave. so it's above 14th st, but it's in my neighborhood & I consider myself "downtown". it is open daily until like 8-9p and is quite great. insanely delicious espresso.
                      Thanks!! Read good reviews about them...will head there one of these days...

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

not big fan of THINK or BEAN .... latte on 9 str and ave c....the best for me ......but i drink regular deli coffee too..
                        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Never been...only read about it. Why do you hate that place so much?

Any place you'd recommend?
                          Because the coffee is overpriced swill and the music is loud and it's full of NYU students.

Go to La Bergamote instead or to Financier in the financial district. Grey Dog's on Carmine is Ok, but also very loud music (the food is excellent though and the coffee is good - avoid the one on University Place). There is always Joe's, too.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

Any tea drinkers? Anyone recommend a good place in NYC for tea, perhaps with an online store as well?

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                              • Aug 2009

oh I remember the good ol' days...

It sucks that people can't smoke in cafe's or bars anymore...
                              It ruins the atmosphere. (I am well aware of the dangers of smoking)
                              I don't know what the system is in the States for example, but in EU it's forbidden to smoke in bars etc, except some nightclubs have a special booth (they call it a room) for smoking.

I mean what's more "romantic" than to go to your favourite cafe, sit down with a good magazine/book, a big cup of GOOD coffee and a pack of cigarrettes?

Summer is a totally different scenario, when you have tables outside and all, but autumn and winter: a perfect weather to enjoy the warmth of a good cafe atmosphere... And now it's gone.

I was able to enjoy a mediocre cafe with the help of indoor smoking, but now it takes a realy good place to enjoy my coffee.
                              modern man

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LupinTheFourth View Post
                                It sucks that people can't smoke in cafe's or bars anymore...
                                It ruins the atmosphere. (I am well aware of the dangers of smoking)
                                I don't know what the system is in the States for example, but in EU it's forbidden to smoke in bars etc, except some nightclubs have a special booth (they call it a room) for smoking.

I mean what's more "romantic" than to go to your favourite cafe, sit down with a good magazine/book, a big cup of GOOD coffee and a pack of cigarrettes?

Summer is a totally different scenario, when you have tables outside and all, but autumn and winter: a perfect weather to enjoy the warmth of a good cafe atmosphere... And now it's gone.

I was able to enjoy a mediocre cafe with the help of indoor smoking, but now it takes a realy good place to enjoy my coffee.
                                Having your breath and your clothes stink like an ash tray. Thanks, but no thanks - very happy with the smoking ban and very happy to see New York leading the way. And now NYC is leading the way again with aggressive advertising campaign against soda and other sweetened drinks that make Americans ginormous.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎