• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
    For some reason it came up in conversation yesterday that I had seen the movie "Zoo" at the IFC a few years ago, a documentary about a man who was literally fucked to death by a horse.

There's no graphic depictions and in fact I found the movie rather hypnotic and oddly soothing as it mostly consisted of slow moving shots of wide open country overlayed with the audio from interviews of friends/participants of the man who died recounting the story. I thought this juxtaposition was rather artful and allowed the story to be told without judgement.
    what the fuck...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Restrepo was good. Really showed the absolute waste that the Afghan war is.

How was The Cove?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
        • Sep 2010

We Were Here is a good documentary about AIDS in the early 80s in San Francisco.

It's a pretty touching film since some of the people interviewed still live here in San Francisco and you'll run into them from time to time.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

Note By Note: The Making Of Steinway L1037

this should air again on pbs soon..

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ I met a guy who builds violins. Sounds like the most fascinating job ever...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• calv
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post

How was The Cove?

I found The Cove to be really captivating and an eye-opener as i feel the subject is not so much talked about these days. It really shows the cruelty of dolphin fishing (dolphin-genocide) and the political issues that surround it.

Also recommend watching The end of the line.

Comment

• kuriz
                • Nov 2010

Some really interesting titles to look into here, gracias. But what is up with all that animal slaughterhouse cruelty? :-( I'm not a vegetarian myself but ow....when watching all these images...On one hand I like to tell myself that most of it is made by someone with a purpose of his or her own, which makes it a bit easier to just push it away as some sort of propaganda or what ever. But at the same time; its happening; today, right now as I sit here and write this. Ugh... I hate watching images like this.

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post

. . . a documentary about a man who was literally fucked to death by a horse . . . I found the movie rather hypnotic and oddly soothing . . .

what the fuck...

sain't

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

Two that have stuck with me:

Life and Debt - A detailed look at the fallout of economic globalization on a developing country like Jamaica. There's a scene where you see Jamaican dairy farmers pouring out their fresh milk, forced to accept subsidies of American-made powdered milk under loan provisions set forth by the IMF. A lesson in global politics wrapped in an engrossing film.

I went to see this the day it hit theaters a decade ago, having spent time in the country 2 years prior, in 1999. I went again the same year this documentary was released. Unfortunately, I doubt very much has changed for the better since then..

CLICK to WATCH TRAILER

Black Gold - Another reason to hate Starbucks, beside their coffee tasting like shit. An eye-opening expose showing what typically goes down halfway around the world because of our insatiable thirst for over-priced espresso drinks, and why the fair-trade coffee movement is as important as it is.

If you're wondering when Starfucks finally got serious about responsible coffee sourcing, it's largely after this little documentary came out. Great story on that HERE

I caught this film by total fluke at its very quiet premiere at Sundance FF, after scoring last-minute tix from a friend who couldn't make the screening. I'd no idea what it was even about until it began – yet by the time it was over, it effectively changed where & how I buy my coffee, once & for all.

sain't

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                      • Jan 2007

BBC Documentary series on Savile Row. Each episode is continued in related videos.

Episode 1
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Episode 2
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Episode 3
                      Originally posted by jogu
                      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Acéphale
                        • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

I thought it was ok. I'd like to see Armadillo for a comparison..

Recently saw The Rape of Europa on netflix streaming.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                            • Sep 2010

If you have Comcast, they now the the "Top 50 Documentaries" thing On Demand. Has a lot of these on there since I believe the list was created by film directors. Decent perk...

Comment

• croatoan
                              • Jul 2007

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                                • Oct 2010

I really enjoyed this BBC 4 documentary on Krautrock -- it features all sorts of things I love like Neu!, Can, Faust, Popol Vuh and Kraftwork and directors Herzog, Fassbinder, and Wenders:

(four more segments on youtube...)

MBD
                                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎