Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Waxing denim v3

  1. #1

    Default Waxing denim v3

    I'm trying to create a pair of jeans that resemble Julius. I want a very glossy shine almost like a leather. The options I've explored so far basically end up feeling like I'm wearing a plastic bag. Any suggestions that will yield a high sheen finish but retain breathability?
    I'm a bicycle, I'm too tired

  2. #2

    Default

    Although I have not tried it, try painting them with black water based latex paint. Wash after they dry, see how that comes out.

  3. #3

    Default

    I spoke to a woman that works at opus and she said that as well would probably not breath well. From what it seems bee's wax or some other sort of wax would be best but I want to get specifics on the mixtures I'll need to make if possible.
    I'm a bicycle, I'm too tired

  4. #4

    Default

    There are waxes that you can purchase for waxing and waterproofing jackets and denim. Barbour comes to mind. Fairly cheap, as well, but I think the effect you're really looking for is an overdye.

    If you did try out the water-based paint, washed your pair vigorously and then applied some weather-proof wax, you might get the effect you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

  5. #5

    Default

    What exactly is over dying?
    I'm a bicycle, I'm too tired

  6. #6

    Default

    Typically, the warp fabric is dyed (blue, black, whatever) and the weft is white. This is why jeans appear whiter and whiter as you wear them out.

    An overdye is literally dyeing over top of whatever the denim is already. Hopefully, painting and washing your jeans would act as an overdye. The thing about waxing is that it doesn't give any extra colour to your denim, at least not in my research, and just makes them shiny. Maybe if you heated your wax, then added some paint to the mixture?
    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

  7. #7

    Default

    i'm doing something very similar to that right now using a personalized procedure - i'm not trying to get it to shine to where it looks like leather, but i am overdying and then waxing. if it works out, i can a step-by-step to you, if you'd like.

  8. #8

    Default

    Please do. Would be interesting to know.

    I've had some black coated Nudies for a really long time and they look like leather, but I think that they're overdyed and coated at the factory. I love those BBS crinkled jeans..
    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

  9. #9

    Default

    Ive been thinking about painting over a generic black hoodie I have just laying around to see some of the effects of the black water based latex paint.. If I get around to it, I'll post some pictures.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauIXI View Post
    Please do. Would be interesting to know.

    I've had some black coated Nudies for a really long time and they look like leather, but I think that they're overdyed and coated at the factory. I love those BBS crinkled jeans..
    I have those as well, that's what's inspired me to attempt this. I want to take some old Cheap Mondays and try to make them shinier than the Nudies. I think the idea of mixing a bit of paint (maybe a gloss medium) with the wax could work well. I'll have to test it on another pair though.

    architextures -
    I would love a step by step if it does work, thank you
    I'm a bicycle, I'm too tired

  11. #11

    Default

    the nudies are like a mixture of resin and polyurethane i think.

  12. #12

    Default

    Think you're right, Diamonds.

    careful with your paint choice. something too flammable or poisonous could

    a) set your crotch on fire or
    b) beleaguer your crotch with harmful toxins.

    If I were you, I would use the Barbour stuff. You can order online. I've been considering buying some from this store out here, and testing it, but there's nothing of mine that I'd really like to wax.
    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

  13. #13

    Default

    hey guys, i have a white canvas pair of lace ups, bought them on sale from oak last summer and they're not as white anymore, is there a way i could paint them? i know that there was a pair of margiela boots like this and was wondering what sort of paint i'd need to use to get this effect, thanks!

  14. #14

    Default

    I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just trying a VERY high gloss black acrylic paint. Although the pants lack the ability to breath I'm very pleased with the aesthetic result.

    It was a simple enough process all I did was apply to paint to the jeans and then lay wax paper on top of them and iron it on a medium heat and then allow to dry out side. I've worn them several times and never had any problem with the paint flaking off so it seems as though it took to the denim quite well.
    I'm a bicycle, I'm too tired

  15. #15

    Default

    if you want to add some colour into a wax, if you do some research into encaustic painting there are various 'recipes' for colouring wax. Ive not tried any myself, but maybe if you were able to turn some beeswax to black, and apply over the jeans, it could achieve the desired effect.

  16. #16

    Default

    Could you please post some pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by hello. View Post
    I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just trying a VERY high gloss black acrylic paint. Although the pants lack the ability to breath I'm very pleased with the aesthetic result.

    It was a simple enough process all I did was apply to paint to the jeans and then lay wax paper on top of them and iron it on a medium heat and then allow to dry out side. I've worn them several times and never had any problem with the paint flaking off so it seems as though it took to the denim quite well.

  17. #17

    Default

    You ever try the barbour/filson wax? I've got a Julius parka that could use a bit more wax...was thinking of using one of these...

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauIXI View Post
    Think you're right, Diamonds.

    careful with your paint choice. something too flammable or poisonous could

    a) set your crotch on fire or
    b) beleaguer your crotch with harmful toxins.

    If I were you, I would use the Barbour stuff. You can order online. I've been considering buying some from this store out here, and testing it, but there's nothing of mine that I'd really like to wax.

  18. #18

    Default

    When I looked up the ingredients for Filson, Fjallraven and other wax products, I saw it was usually some mix of paraffin wax and beeswax; sometimes with a kind of oil as well. I just bought beeswax and paraffin wax at a craft store and mix to my own standard. It's cheaper doing it this way as well.

  19. #19
    Heirloom
    Guest

    Default

    i think quite alot of the time, the item is sprayed with a resin compound, and then pressed or ironed to make these tiny droplet go flat and shiny and melt into the fabric. you get a much thinner film like this, and the fabric can still breath.

    spraying resin however... VERY difficult.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Raw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,107

    Default

    ^^^ Yeah according to this feature on Parable, it seems that way:
    http://parablesydney.com/feature-lum...umbra-fabrics/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •