• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomatous
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Could you please post some pictures?

Originally posted by hello. View Post
    I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just trying a VERY high gloss black acrylic paint. Although the pants lack the ability to breath I'm very pleased with the aesthetic result.

It was a simple enough process all I did was apply to paint to the jeans and then lay wax paper on top of them and iron it on a medium heat and then allow to dry out side. I've worn them several times and never had any problem with the paint flaking off so it seems as though it took to the denim quite well.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
      • Nov 2008

You ever try the barbour/filson wax? I've got a Julius parka that could use a bit more wax...was thinking of using one of these...

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
      Think you're right, Diamonds.

careful with your paint choice. something too flammable or poisonous could

a) set your crotch on fire or
      b) beleaguer your crotch with harmful toxins.

If I were you, I would use the Barbour stuff. You can order online. I've been considering buying some from this store out here, and testing it, but there's nothing of mine that I'd really like to wax.

Comment

• several_girls
        • Nov 2010

When I looked up the ingredients for Filson, Fjallraven and other wax products, I saw it was usually some mix of paraffin wax and beeswax; sometimes with a kind of oil as well. I just bought beeswax and paraffin wax at a craft store and mix to my own standard. It's cheaper doing it this way as well.

Comment

i think quite alot of the time, the item is sprayed with a resin compound, and then pressed or ironed to make these tiny droplet go flat and shiny and melt into the fabric. you get a much thinner film like this, and the fabric can still breath.

spraying resin however... VERY difficult.

Comment

• Raw
            • Oct 2009

^^^ Yeah according to this feature on Parable, it seems that way:

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
              • Nov 2008

How'd it turn out? I don't want to coat the whole thing. The jacket just has a bit of wax on some of the seams and edges, giving it a nice sheen/wrinkle. I kind of just want to add to that a bit, go down all the seams, a bit on the edges.

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
              When I looked up the ingredients for Filson, Fjallraven and other wax products, I saw it was usually some mix of paraffin wax and beeswax; sometimes with a kind of oil as well. I just bought beeswax and paraffin wax at a craft store and mix to my own standard. It's cheaper doing it this way as well.

Comment

• aussy
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by hello. View Post
                I ended up throwing caution to the wind and just trying a VERY high gloss black acrylic paint. Although the pants lack the ability to breath I'm very pleased with the aesthetic result.

It was a simple enough process all I did was apply to paint to the jeans and then lay wax paper on top of them and iron it on a medium heat and then allow to dry out side. I've worn them several times and never had any problem with the paint flaking off so it seems as though it took to the denim quite well.
                I'm going to try painting a pair of jeans this weekend. Will take pics!

Comment

• topping
                  • Oct 2011

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"DIY: How to Wax your Jeans (or re-wax Denim) "

I find this video,that’s a very nice idea!
                  Now I'm going to get some wax ..and try it

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                    • Nov 2008

That looks pretty decent...I was gonna touch up using the Filson or Barbour wax...I wonder how this compares...

Originally posted by topping View Post
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMpo...&feature=share
                    "DIY: How to Wax your Jeans (or re-wax Denim) "

I find this video,that’s a very nice idea!
                    Now I'm going to get some wax ..and try it

Comment

• Nouveau Pauvre
                      • Oct 2011

I've waxed cheap suede boots using a generic brand wax stick from a sporting goods store and a hair dryer.

Comment

• neodym
                        • Jan 2009

I've tried both painting and waxing. For paint I used glossy acrylic paint which seems to be working really well. It doesn't dissolve in rain, but I wouldn't try washing them. The effect is pretty nice, like heavy waxing. The only downside is that painted denim is much more stiff and uncomfortable than waxed denim.

I also tried waxing with fjällräven wax but the effect was not that noticeable. Maybe I didn't use enough..

Comment

• Zenith
                          • Jun 2009

Been meaning to "wax" a cheap (but very warm and well cut) cotton parka I have. If I were to use acrylic paint, how long would it last for? More importantly, would it easily flake and rub off on other surfaces?

Comment

• neodym
                            • Jan 2009

I think it would last pretty well, judging from my painted denim it doesnt flake at all after 2-3 years of light use. Definately won't rub. However, the fabric gets super stiff when painted so it might a bit uncomfortable. Also, depending on the fabric the surface will be very rough. This might depend in the type of paint, but its my personal experience with acrylic paint.

Real waxing is a better option imo because you get the desired style without the cons of painting.

Comment

• tron
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
                              Been meaning to "wax" a cheap (but very warm and well cut) cotton parka I have. If I were to use acrylic paint, how long would it last for? More importantly, would it easily flake and rub off on other surfaces?
                              from my experience with acrylic paint + gloss medium on denim it lasts for a long time. I have 'waxed' several pairs of pants this way and I always crumple them in to a ball after words and I've rarely noticed much if anything flaking off nor have I ever had it transfer. I think ironing it on sets it well enough that it will hold up pretty well. A thinner layer is probably preferable if you don't want it to flake at all.
                              "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• neodym
                                • Jan 2009

Tron do you think ironing might make the texture less rough? I've never tried.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎