• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brother Stasi
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by mack View Post
    ... I GOT ADMITTED...

Brother Stasi: i will for sure send him a thank you letter as soon as i hear from the second letter? When you say working on "liberals" did you mean liberal arts. If so right now i am in an AP art class and currently i am working on some fashion pieces that are more conceptual. (hopefully posting soon). I assume you went to FIT and took the menswear program? How was it and what types of stuff did you end up doing (art, fashion projects). and what are you doing, now after the program? I would love to hear about it.

thanks again
    CONGRATS! I knew you were gonna be getting in, it was only a matter of time!

When I said work on liberals I did mean liberal arts. If you have the time and can afford it I still recommend going to a liberal arts college in your home town and getting a few credits taken care of, but don't take art or fashion courses. I would recommend solely taking things like English, math, science... FIT is infamous for not transferring art or fashion related credits from other schools, so try to stick to basics and nothing too specialized (the school only accepts credits that are directly comparable with courses they offer.) Also the first year (esp the first semester) you will be overwhelmed with an abundance of sewing and patterning hw so I recommend taking it easier upfront until you get your footing.

I did in fact take the menswear program. How was it? Amazing, daunting, overwhelming, stressful, and extremely gratifying. The first semester I was there 9am- 2:30am many a night. The second semester (when you hand sew the tailored blazer) I remember working without sleep for the last two days before it was due (the last night we formed a sewing circle and worked from the end of one class till the period it was due the next day....)

What do you do? You do massive amounts of patternmaking (in both western and eastern european techniques. No draping though so you may want to supplement that skill with a womenswear draping course...) You also do many an art project (by hand as well as with various computer programs)... to be honest the list goes on and on. A lot of work with many a night without sleep. You will have one of the most intense programs the school offers (fyi; the womenswear workload is comparably a lot lighter... rub it in their face whenever they try and bitch about it!) :P

BTW; menswear has a reputation of being very click-ish and sort of asshole-y to the rest of the school.... do us proud! :P

What do I do now? I decided to stick around and get my BFA in womenswear to widen my career options. In August I head over to Milan to do my final year there. I've done 4 apprenticeships, won some awards and grants, and blah blah blah I talked enough! Welcome to Menswear! Do SZ proud!

Comment

• mack
      • Mar 2009

Thanks alot guys, but it is more like an "unofficial acceptance"

Brother Stasi: Great to hear all your success at the school. Its great to hear from someone that experienced it first hand. And yes i have heard that it is alot ALOT of work. but i feel determined and ready. I am also thinking of bringing a sewing machine along with me aswell to do some work where ever i stay. But we will c. I am considering another course after this program aswell, possibly at parsons. But yeah thanks for the info. I feel i am ready for the work load, however i wont know till im there, But i try to work pretty fast, and most of my art/fashion pieces are completed pretty quickly and efficiently. Its something that i love so i guys it should be an interesting experience, to say the least. Im really forward to the course, sounds really fun and it looks like i would learn alot.

What's the style like around FIT?? When i visited there i saw mostly girls, and alot of hispter/skateboarding guys.

Hopefully i will find a true sz style while im there?

Comment

• DamageX
        • Dec 2008

Congratulations Mack!

Comment

• eat me
          • May 2009

Hey, really nice stuff. I wish I could put together something like that when I first started college, haha. Good luck with getting officially in.

Comment

• deluks917
            • Mar 2009

Its ridiculously they didn't beg you to come. Some people I know going there next year are rather lacking in any talent.

Comment

• sethnos
              • May 2009

i just wonder that you make the pattern and sew them by yourself?

if yes, hell, you are so much talent as you are high-school students..

GREAT !

(and i guess you are big fan of Rick Owens , right ? =] )

Comment

• mack
                • Mar 2009

yes i do sew it myself , but i use a regular jacket and hoody pattern and alter it.

big fan of rick. liking julius a lot tho at the moment

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

Some great work,especially considering your just finishing high school!
                  Good on you! I think by the time you finish college you will have a very strong personal design aesthetic. I spy Viridi pants! :)
                  Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM.
                  merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• ironman
                    • Apr 2008

mack, this is pretty good work!

i echo others in saying the last jacket is real nice

Comment

• clay
                      • Sep 2006

Yo Mack! I think I met you at Mood, in fact it must be you! The stuff looks great! Yo man good luck with F.I.T. You really should not have a problem getting in. If not go to St. Martins or something.

Comment

• mack
                        • Mar 2009

hey man. yes that was me. and thanks for the fabric that day! i will post my creations with that fabric soon. and yes i did get into fit. which means hopefully i will be walking through mood quiet often while im there.

Comment

• selkies
                          • Dec 2008

nice work mate, gl with your course you should go far.

Comment

• tg76
                            • Nov 2006

wow... i wish there were students like you at the schools ive been working at. im stuck with silly girlies wanting to make ugly satin ball dresses

Comment

• mack
                              • Mar 2009

High School/Summer work

Wutsup Sz!
                              Finally had some time to take and post some pics of my latest work.

So as you guys know i have recently just got accepted to FIT in Ny for Menswear design this fall. Since my last work, that was previously posted showing my portfolio submission, i have been working on a couple more pieces. I haven't been working as intense but in the past couple of week i have been designing and sewing a lot. Most of these pieces have been created with in the months of June to now. My focus was on more basic pieces/ and simpler designs. I view these pieces as samples and experiments with in my design ideas.
                              Let me know what you guys think.

title page perhaps?
                              [IMG]100_2177[/IMG]

basic tee
                              [IMG]100_2096[/IMG
                              100_2099

Basic long sleeve (silk/jersey)
                              [IMG]100_2103[/IMG]
                              [IMG]100_2104[/IMG]

J-shape Tee (my attempt) (silk/jersey)
                              [IMG]100_2120[/IMG]

Double Layer Long Sleeve (silk jersey inner/not sure outer layer)
                              [IMG]100_2221[/IMG]
                              Single layer
                              [IMG]100_2127[/IMG]

Basic long tee (silk/ jersey)
                              [IMG]100_2130[/IMG]
                              Back seem treated
                              [IMG]100_2133[/IMG]

Comment

• mack
                                • Mar 2009

Crew neck sweater (cotton fleece)
                                [IMG]100_2138[/IMG]
                                [IMG]100_2142[/IMG][IMG]100_2143[/IMG]

Terry Zip Up hoody attempt (cotton Fleece)
                                [IMG]100_2146[/IMG]
                                [IMG]100_2148[/IMG]
                                Back seam
                                [IMG]100_2150[/IMG]
                                Ribbing at bottom
                                [IMG]100_2154[/IMG]
                                Made my self a logo (tehe)
                                [IMG]100_2157[/IMG]

Scarf attempt (same material as double layer long sleeve)
                                100_2158
                                [IMG]100_2160[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎