Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Outside of the context of Geoffrey Small, as I see it, plagiarism is the unacknowledged use of some previous work one is aware of in one's creations. This leads me to three points:

One cannot plagiarize nature.

If someone in Porous, Jamaica, designs a pattern on a dress, and three years later Missoni or DVF puts the exact same pattern on a dress, unaware of Porous (as many people are) or the previous designer, it is not plagiarism. The coincidence simply suggests that the designers drew inspiration from similar sources.

Third, so what if Small was inspired by previous work? Isn't "inspiration" one of the prerequisites of creation? And with millennia of human creation preceding us, is it really reasonable to expect someone not to be influenced by others?
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• hobo
      • Jul 2009

I think that we've talked ourselves around in a circle!

The original conversation was not about whether Geoffrey plagiarised, but quite the opposite. It was about whether or not his early experimental work constituted innovation, and if so, whether he should be more widely credited. I simply used the example of his use of authentic patterns as an example of what, in my opinion, is not plagiarism.
      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• hobo
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
        Outside of the context of Geoffrey Small, as I see it, plagiarism is the unacknowledged use of some previous work one is aware of in one's creations. This leads me to three points:

One cannot plagiarize nature.

If someone in Porous, Jamaica, designs a pattern on a dress, and three years later Missoni or DVF puts the exact same pattern on a dress, unaware of Porous (as many people are) or the previous designer, it is not plagiarism. The coincidence simply suggests that the designers drew inspiration from similar sources.

Third, so what if Small was inspired by previous work? Isn't "inspiration" one of the prerequisites of creation? And with millennia of human creation preceding us, is it really reasonable to expect someone not to be influenced by others?
        Although I do agree with everything that you have said here.
        "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• SunshineSometime
          • May 2008

Don’t get me wrong albert, I don’t meant anything negative by what I said. I respect the man and what he is doing.

Faust said it best “Originality in its original sense is nearly impossible.”

Coming where I’m from, I’m a design grad and I’ve seen most of my classmates creating utter replicas of existing designs with a minor tweak in certain areas. Then there are those that genuinely pursue an idea that strikes them to create something in which they believe to be original. I would classify the 1st as bullshit and the latter as being honest.

I’d like the state that originality does not lie with your product do but in your conscience. At the end of the day, if you genuinely create something that you’ve never seen before (but may already be out there). However all these are intangible when the final product is out.

Everyone has their own opinions to this but I’d like to say as a design standpoint it is the integrity to say that you are not original but honest to your ideas.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
            • Jan 2008

There's a very good good book from 1999 by Mieke Bal
            on the subject of influence:

Quoting Caravaggio: Contemporary Art, preposterous History

I'll highly recommend it.
            Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• DHC
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
              Love his "principles":

1. respect for the individual
              2. service to others
              3. strive for excellence
              4. strive to have fun
              5. loyalty & trust

I think the list is admirable and find the qualities lacking nowadays. As such, I fail to see how this is laughable. I can see how 4 may come across a little facetious for a principle, but if you know Geoffrey, you know that he means "to take everything on in this plane of existence with a sense of enjoyment and celebration of life", which may be lost in the brevity of his declaration of principles. Geoffrey's a pretty deep fellow and he is most certainly nobody's fool. At any rate, these are sound words that I feel everyone should take to heart. It would make the world a better place.
              Originally posted by Faust
              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Hobo View Post
                ...it's this intellectual process that leads him to the end product which is so beautiful (and, I admit, sometimes, a little out there!). For some designers, it's a purely visual process, but for Geoffrey, it's the opposite, it starts with ideas and principals! For me that makes is more interesting than something which is just art for art’s sake.
                This is what I was telling Fuuma pretty much verbatim, the morning I kidnapped him to introduce him to Geoffrey. Though I stressed that some of the work is out there more than you had above (mine wouldn't have fallen under parenthesis in written word), but I knew Fuuma would appreciate Geoffrey's work and I thought they'd get along famously. BTW, that was the morning I ran into you and Geoffrey along with Fab Fan. Anyways, I think its great the level of respect that Fuuma now has for the man. Sometimes you have to know what's behind the curtain to find that deeper appreciate for a body of work, (not that his work in and of itself is doesn't warrant respect). Its just with Geoffrey there is a lot of love, integrity and a slew of other ideals. Its really a beautiful thing.
                Last edited by DHC; 07-29-2009, 12:44 AM.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• DHC
                  • Jul 2007

"Ode to Toussaint Louverture" Geoffrey B. Small's Autumn/Winter 2006-7 collection presented at Numero Homme Paris September 2006 as shot by Karl Lagerfeld.

Photographs by Karl Lagerfeld
                  Courtesy of Geoffrey B. Small

Sartorialoft

Comment

• tjoek
                    • Apr 2008

Wow that's brilliant!
                    Are these for haute couture only?

Comment

• pipcleo
                      • Jan 2007

wake up
                      half londons poncing round in frockcoats

Comment

• hobo
                        • Jul 2009

Yes, but were they in 2005, when this collection was conceived?

+ These shots are by Karl Lagerfeld. If Karl shot Rick or Carol, I don't think that they would be the broadest representation of their collections.

I'm going to email DHC some shots of my stuff, which he will post, so that you can get a better idea of what I love about his work.

Comment

• sammywaslow
                          • Apr 2008

Only own one item from Mr Small - these cotton striped trousers. Eminently wearable, perfect for casual Friday. The last pic is an excuse to show off my Augusta camel leather slip ons.

DSC03946w

DSC03936w

DSC03958w

Comment

• DHC
                            • Jul 2007

come on. the seam work is out of control! does anything really need to be said about this coat?

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                              • Sep 2006

Beautiful coat, one of the best GBS i've seen

Comment

• hobo
                                • Jul 2009

I like the stripped trousers, we exactly the same ones in last summer but this coat; this is the kind of GBS that floats my boat! It holds its own with any of the big boys (Altieri, Rick, Grandma, Carol)! This is where he excels. Historical patterns with a super modern twist!

I had this one in, in cashmere for the winter and it's the first coat that's nearly tempted me out of my old CDG Homme+. I wish I'd got it now! I have it in store in Black Linen with natural bone buttons, at the moment. Beautiful!!!

Nice images, thanks DHC

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎