X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I meant to say this before, if anyone wants a nice independent cognac, Gabriel and Andreu is an excellent choice. Good luck finding it though...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

the piano has been drinking

strong
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

damn, that's hardcore.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

robert jordan made me drink it.
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Dropt
            • May 2009

Originally posted by galia View Post
            I, like most french people, don't know much about wine sadly.
            Haha it's actually indeed true: we're so flooded by wine that most of us don't know how to appreciate it.

About absinthe, there's still in the south of France artisanal Manufacturers. Very good. Very drunk very fast though.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I dunno, you can get a Masters degree in wine in France. That sounds pretty French to me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• polishmike
                • Jan 2007

I got this http://vinturi.com/
                and it makes a difference on most wines I drink. I'm not an expert and drink mostly sub $12 but this thing really works. Could be a good stocking stuffer as well.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                  • Feb 2008

Guys - awesome bordeaux in waitrose UK - Chateau du Gazin, 2006, Canon-Fronsac - I gave it a good review on my blog, just tastes much finer than its price, really impressed me.

Ive splurged on loads of interesting wines for christmas so Ill finally get round to trying an expensive amarone della valpociella - yum.
                  Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• watitsthis
                    • May 2009

I’m pretty new at the forum but if its one thing I do is taste wine, and like you guys are with clothe I do with wine (Experiment, try new regions, and never go with the crowd). I don't like the OLD World wine, too boring for me, not fruity enough, missing swagger, toooo oaky, too damn old, no new sensation/taste, not spicy enough (I had a few that surprised my tastebuds lol but they are not the cheap ones). If you like old world wine just start drinking whisky instead lol.

Instead keep yourself open to these grapes and regions, must of you guys are probably red drinkers so here goes my recommendations. Start drinking some Malbec from Argentina, Bonarda (grape from Argentina) is superb, try some wines from Colombia Valley USA (these region is a gold mind), go as far as Africa and drink some of their Pinotage (some of their more expensive Pinotage compete with any of the top Bordeux wine for sure), some Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile, go to Portugal and buy some of their Douro wines (yes this is the same region/river that goes to Spain Riviera del duero region, it’s a little expensive but delicious wines) Quinta de la Rosa house here produce top blends. Try some Zinfandel (red kind not the white, nor pink one) from Sonoma County, Seghesio Zinfandel is soo good for the price (TOP 10 in wine spectator 2007 or 2008 and it cost like 25 bucks), Luigi Bosca Malbec are superb from Argentina, love my Australian Shiraz TRY ANY OF THEM, some of their Petit Shiraz are good also but I think the best ones I’ve tried have been from USA Napa.

I don’t like the really dry stuff so that’s why you won’t see me recommending pinot grigio/gris, pinot blanc, dry Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Semillon or even Chenin. For white drinker here goes my recommendation go and drink Treana (The Viogner and Marsanne blend), drink some Conundrum from Napa, and try the Casa Lapostolle Sauvignion Blanc, Ferrari- Carano Fume Blanc. Btw most girls like dry wines because they haven’t try slightly fruitier wines, so when girls drink these they fall in love with them especially the girls that say they don’t drink wine, unless you meet an OAKY monster girl. To find this out ask what she likes to drink if she likes vodka and fruity cocktail give her fruity wines if she says whisky or dark color liquor (like rum) than just give her Chardonnay or Red.

On a sidenote most of the houses in the new world are owned by old world wineries families so believe me when I say the new world will OVERTAKE the old. Ohhhhhh Yeeeeeaaaaah

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Well, it's the holidays, and so we go through a lot of wine. None of it too expensive.

So far, my favorite new wine has been:

Also enjoyed the Maison Louis Tete Morgon.

Neither of them are going to be revelatory experiences, both are tasty, somewhat structured, and great values.

For cheap wines worth picking up a few cases of,

both are easily good enough to be happy to have. The malbec is bordering on too tannic and, err, "big?" for me, so my mother thought it was just beginning to be drinkable. The cotes du rhone tastes like one should. Nothing special, but no complaints either, and for $8/bottle, that's probably something special itself.
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                        • Feb 2008

Didn't get round to my Amarone, shame.I did try a good Valpolicella Classico though, pretty solid for the price - nothing amazing but a decent bottle. Also found a Tawny Port to be sublime with cheeses. - Will have to invest in my own bottle sometime.

Tried a Brown Brothers tarrango - not very impressed, too light and shallow. watitsthis - I always find new world to be very shallow and short lived, are there any big, long finishing new world reds? Feel free to recommend!

The Valpolicella Classico is reviewed on my blog, not going to bother with the brown brothers!

the etruscan - 2007 Château de Montfaucon "Baron Louis" Côtes du Rhône looks good, will have to keep my eyes peeled for it in the uk.

Comment

• mmmmrk
                          • Dec 2009

Not sure if anyone is a fan of Riesling, but one of my personal favorites is Monchhof, a German Riesling. Seriously tastes like white grape candy, and coming in at $16, its sure to keep money in your pocket for CCP purchases

Liquorama is a family-owned & operated online wine and spirits store. You can find a wide selection of rare alcoholic beverages. Click here to purchase today!

Donnhoff is another great German Riesling. A bit more expensive, but is a favorite of someone who I get my (minimal) knowledge of wine from, a friends father who is president of the largest alcohol distributor in Las Vegas. I figure if it's a favorite of his, and around $20, you can't really go wrong!

Comment

• oncebornyoucanthide
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

The aesthetics of wine is just the same as the one you apply to clothes...it's all about texture and colors and nuances

No mass-produced wine can have the soul of an artisanal one

if you look for cheap wines you will drink almost "simple" wines, because wine is a matter of culture, tradition, technique and also handcrafting, and all that has a cost, exactly like in tailoring

So when you buy a wine, you should previously gain information about the producer, exacly like when you buy clothes...difference is you don't "look", but "taste", and your tongue can open a whole world of new pleasure experiences...

Example of avant-garde winemaker:

Now, tasting this wine is kind of revolutionary for one's perspective on this fascinating world...to me it was like when i first saw RO shoes

Comment

• viv1984viv
                              • Feb 2008

MicroRant

Originally posted by oncebornyoucanthide View Post
                              The aesthetics of wine is just the same as the one you apply to clothes...it's all about texture and colors and nuances

No mass-produced wine can have the soul of an artisanal one

if you look for cheap wines you will drink almost "simple" wines, because wine is a matter of culture, tradition, technique and also handcrafting, and all that has a cost, exactly like in tailoring

So when you buy a wine, you should previously gain information about the producer, exacly like when you buy clothes...difference is you don't "look", but "taste", and your tongue can open a whole world of new pleasure experiences...

Example of avant-garde winemaker:

Now, tasting this wine is kind of revolutionary for one's perspective on this fascinating world...to me it was like when i first saw RO shoes
                              Texture colour and nuances - yeah - and also the nightmare of matching - sure, you could serve a Pinot Noir but.... sure the silhouette looks great but that hue with the dark brown suede shows agh..... I think its also about matching to the occasion and the people.

Soul is a difficult thing to define, but in general mass produced products 'tend' to have less character - that said many artisanal wines and clothes are not as good as others from companies/vineyards with large production facilities. It just depends. - but if you want something amazing, chances are your not going to find it from the biggest producer. I think having something different is most important and its not going to be unusual or unique if its being produced on a massive scale. I think there is too much emphasis on small scale = good/interesting by default and + large scale = inherently bad/un-interesting by default when its actually more a case of

small scale = greater general chance of interesting products in comparison with LSP
                              large scale = greater general chance of uninteresting products in comparison with SSP

There is a reason big producers get big, they're competitive, however there is a reason small producers come in to existence and survive, they offer an alternative or are better in some ways.

Personally I feel that for above average sensational ( literally so ) complexities you will not find them in cheaper more mass produced products, if you want more you probably have to pay for it.

Comment

• oncebornyoucanthide
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2009

well said

I can see you are a true passionate

do you know white wines from friuli, north-eastern italy?

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                                Texture colour and nuances - yeah - and also the nightmare of matching - sure, you could serve a Pinot Noir but.... sure the silhouette looks great but that hue with the dark brown suede shows agh..... I think its also about matching to the occasion and the people.

Soul is a difficult thing to define, but in general mass produced products 'tend' to have less character - that said many artisanal wines and clothes are not as good as others from companies/vineyards with large production facilities. It just depends. - but if you want something amazing, chances are your not going to find it from the biggest producer. I think having something different is most important and its not going to be unusual or unique if its being produced on a massive scale. I think there is too much emphasis on small scale = good/interesting by default and + large scale = inherently bad/un-interesting by default when its actually more a case of

small scale = greater general chance of interesting products in comparison with LSP
                                large scale = greater general chance of uninteresting products in comparison with SSP

There is a reason big producers get big, they're competitive, however there is a reason small producers come in to existence and survive, they offer an alternative or are better in some ways.

Personally I feel that for above average sensational ( literally so ) complexities you will not find them in cheaper more mass produced products, if you want more you probably have to pay for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎