X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deleuze
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by zamb
    it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera
    This is the most salient point; FB, Twitter, and even Youtube are not innocuous beasts readily ignored. I can't go to a concert today without seeing a hundred arms holding cameras in front of me taking crappy photos and videos to post online. Much better in the old days when there was the token geek in the corner capturing the show on his video camera. Sorry but all these web 2.0 sites have just become a retreat for people who have forgotten or never had the chance to experience "authentic" life. And consequently they encourage the dissemination of the virtual world into every pocket that remains of the non-virtual.

Plus vinyl and tapes will always be better than CD or MP3.

Comment

• merkuri
      • Sep 2009

hobo is right IMO. If you are going to crap on something because it's been bastardized or abused by the stupid, that's pretty weak.

Is punk dead or does punk suck because avril lavine is a self-proclaimed punk?

The Iran elections are a great example. Twitter enables that kind of immediacy. As a business tool, again, it works as PR but not yet at least as a vehicle for monetization — even the creators can't make profit with it.

Comment

• hobo
        • Jul 2009

[QUOTE=zamb;188555]
        Originally posted by merkuri
        facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.[/quote]

I ve wanted to respond to some of the hobo mans posts but just been to busy..............

while I can understand the potential of these social media sites to do good, As Mike Lowrey said, 95% of it is really garbage you dont want to sift through...........
        My wife is a huge facebook junkie, I happened to access the site through her page and trust me, some of the nonsense I see on there, I really wonder what kind of lives these people have and if they ever know the definition of PRIVACY.

it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera, ready to sap a picture just to post it on facebook. I remember ready a story about a woman who was hired for a job she didnt really want, but took becvause the salary was lucrative, then posted on FB slamming th company, saying she is only doing it for the money, some one of the managers got a hold of it aand instanly gave her the heave ho!.............
        As I said in my post addressing Mikes comment directly, if you don't want to Twitter, or facebook, or read magazines, or have a mobile phone, that's fine, but to argue that you don't want to do it because of this '95% of content is shit' argument just doesn't hold up. 99.9% of fashion forums are shit, and I can't be arsed to sift through that crap, but it didn't stop me looking at SZ after meeting Faust in Paris. We wouldn't be having this conversation now, if I'd simply said, "oh no, I don't do forums, because 95% of them are shit!"

Originally posted by zamb
        Also for me I dont think that I have that interesting of a life that I want to share it with the whole world online................nor do I find anyones life so interesting that I want to constanly know what they are doing, Ive got bills to pay and things to do, working in my studio takes up most of my time.........
        So that begs the question, Zamb, what the fuck are you doing here??? Clearly, you must find something about other people’s lives and their opinions interesting.

Ps. I'm glad you are here!
        "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

I really find facebook useful. It's a wonderful resource for me as many of my friends are in the stage in their lives where things change fundamentally (go off to become a professor here or there, get a job and move, etc). Facebook has been quite useful for keeping many of us in touch when we would of otherwise lost contact. I guess we don't live "authentic" lives. Oh well. There's plenty of noise there, but there's plenty of noise in everything in modern life. If you can't learn to filter that, you're going to be totally unable to function.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• hobo
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust
            Hobo, let me know when you are coming! Mi casa, su casa.
            Thank you, man.

Originally posted by deleuze
            This is the most salient point; FB, Twitter, and even Youtube are not innocuous beasts readily ignored. I can't go to a concert today without seeing a hundred arms holding cameras in front of me taking crappy photos and videos to post online. Much better in the old days when there was the token geek in the corner capturing the show on his video camera. Sorry but all these web 2.0 sites have just become a retreat for people who have forgotten or never had the chance to experience "authentic" life. And consequently they encourage the dissemination of the virtual world into every pocket that remains of the non-virtual.

You know man, things are not worse and they aren’t better either, there just different. To paraphrase Faust 'Life is what you make of it' and you can take part in it or you can stand around watching and grumbling about how much better it was before. As another friend of mine, Maurizio A once said, "Carpe Diem" - seize the day, my friend, seize the day!

If you do you'll never grow old!!!
            "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hobo
              cease the day, my friend, cease the day!

If you do you'll never grow old!!!
              very true

Comment

• deleuze
                • Jul 2007

Thank you, man.

You know man, things are not worse and they aren’t better either, there just different.
                Relativism is dangerous and ultimately leads to paralysis. Some things are better, some things are worse. Would the world be a better place without Twitter? Yes. Sure you can find some use for a social networking site but how valuable is this use when you could have solved the problem a number of ways prior to Facebook/Twitter but chose not to? The Iran revolts were for the most part a virtual mobilization, a brilliant marketing ploy. Paris '68 didn't need Twitter.

Comment

• hobo
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by MonaDahl
                  don't really want to get involved in the twitter argument, but I remember thinking this was really interesting: http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...905125,00.html
                  Relativism is dangerous and ultimately leads to paralysis. Some things are better, some things are worse. Would the world be a better place without Twitter? Yes. Sure you can find some use for a social networking site but how valuable is this use when you could have solved the problem a number of ways prior to Facebook/Twitter but chose not to? The Iran revolts were for the most part a virtual mobilization, a brilliant marketing ploy. Paris '68 didn't need Twitter.
                  Just read Mona's link, you might learn something!

[edit] I mean, do you actually know the difference between Paris and Tehran? Shit man, think before you type!

Look at the first copy of the bible; they didn't need a printing press!

Look at Japanese kamikaze pilots; they didn't need bombs!

Look at algae; it doesn't need the food chain!

For fucks sake! You know if you close your mouth, it will stop the words just falling out like that!

Comment

• deleuze
                    • Jul 2007

Thanks for the edumacation Hobo.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

Just read Mona's link, you might learn something!

[edit] I mean, do you actually know the difference between Paris and Tehran? Shit man, think before you type!

Look at the first copy of the bible; they didn't need a printing press!

Look at Japanese kamikaze pilots; they didn't need bombs!

Look at algae; it doesn't need the food chain!

For fucks sake! You know if you close your mouth, it will stop the words just falling out like that!
                      what is the difference between paris and tehran?

and what does the bible, kamikaze pilots, and algae have to with any of this?

your straw man arguments and sanctimonious bluster would make even glenn beck blush.
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Ok, I wash my hands off of this. You guys can kill each other.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hobo
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by AKA*NYC
                          what is the difference between paris and tehran?

and what does the bible, kamikaze pilots, and algae have to with any of this?

your straw man arguments and sanctimonious bluster would make even glenn beck blush.
                          Tehran is much warmer than Paris, which makes it much more difficult to revolt. You see, everyone just starts sweating and goes to get lemonade. That then affords them the time to Twitter. So obviously, that's why Twittering worked better in Tehran. It’s all about the lemonade, man.

Kamakaze pilots didn't fully understand the bible and therefore ended up with the Algae, which made it impossible to Twitter, even if they had had broad band in the cockpit.

Shit man, you work it out, and while you're doing it, look up straw man and sanctimonious.

Ps. try not to take it personally either

xxx

Comment

• inconduit
                            • Jun 2009

there's a club in berlin, berghain, where cameras are strictly verboten. they search you at the door and won't let you in with a camera, and if your cell phone has a camera you're warned in very terse german to not take pictures. i know of a dj who returned to the club only four hours after finishing his set, photographed the bouncers to show them he could in fact take pictures, and was summarily punched in the face.

i applaud this policy, and i'm a photographer. i don't agree that photographs block authentic experience, but after having experienced a camera free venue, i appreciate its value.

Comment

• hobo
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust
                              Ok, I wash my hands off of this. You guys can kill each other.
                              Sorry man, I was having too much fun and got carried away.

Sorry to all, but most of all to AKA*NYC and deleuze.

Comment

• hobo
                                • Jul 2009

Thanks for the edumacation Hobo.
                                Oh you devil, you!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎