Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality vs. Aesthetic. Is there a disconnect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jskidder1
    • Jan 2011

I actually find the Rick silk/viscose to be pretty damn durable, if not nearly indestructible. They may pill a bit eventually, but they are a lot less prone to holes that any normal weight cotton t-shirts I have encountered.

That said, I prefer the thin cotton version most of the time. The silk/viscose I mainly wear to work because of the durability and the fact that they look a little more 'normal.'

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Uncontrol View Post
      how is that not fair? certainly RO has the resources to do it just as well.
      yeah but it's been said throughout rick's universe that decay is a prevalent theme whereas everything is suppose to, essentially, fall apart. ro does have the resources, and perhaps it's all on purpose, but when soles separate from boots because they're glued on, basics become terribly misshapen in 2 wears, & t shirt seems come completely undone then there's a certain point where it seems like although decay is a bigger player in rick's universe you kind of feel cheated...i'm not even touching rick's poplin finishes. tatsuro horikawa has stated in interviews that he understands the rigorous treatments that julius garments undergo during construction and finishing so he needs textiles to perform & be able to take it well which calls for extensive textile research and they address the need in their garments. i just feel as far as textile research while rick's is there & serves it's purpose, julius addresses the needs of a garments longevity further than rick.
      when it comes down to it, you're not buying rick or julius or most sz championed designers for durability. you're buying rick & the lot because they are wearable art and it speaks to you. how practical is a paper thin shirt that drapes down to your knees anyways? i love the rick stuff that i have and to be honest i like it when the hems are fucked up and there's life in the garments. i just prefer julius a bit more because with time julius will keep it's shape better than rick and when i wear julius i dont have to do that stupid constant twisting of tees i have to do when i wear rick.
      i'm sure someone else could say this a lot better than me :(
      Last edited by messenoire; 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Umami
        • Sep 2010

My rick's tees are very tough even without holes in them. I bought them about 3 years ago and I never dry clean them. Anyway, super thin tees are still popular in my opinion.

Comment

• Lane
          • Aug 2010

the tissue paper ricks I have a huge love/hate relationship for.

The double layers are good, rayon silk for both rick and julius is good stuff.

Feel julius wins out for durability/longevity. However, rick shirts are just amazing, length, simple ass design but they feel and look amazing when worn....

shit, best semi sheer shirts have been from Lost & Found, tbh.

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

I'm on the bandwagon that I expect my Julius and RO tees to tear and get holes and I consider that to be the growth of the garment that adds character. If this was happening to a Givenchy suit that I might wear to the opera I'd be a little disturbed, but it's all about the styling and I don't wear Julius or RO to be "formal" or dapper.

But, I do have one complaint on construction with all my Julius leather jackets, which just pains me to say. They put that very stiff statement patch on the upper left chest and it rubs the shit out of all the knits that I wear underneath. Then you've got this square of pilled fuzziness going on after wearing things under the leathers. They should kill that patch. In fact, I think I might go remove them all right now. haha.

Further, if buttons were falling off of an expensive jacket, I too would be disappointed. I've had that happen on one or two Ann pieces, yet they always include an additional 1 or 2 buttons in the garment packet, so it's no biggie. I just hand sew that right back on and it's business as usual.

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
              Someone post a face palm please.

On the subject tho, I love them with and without holes. 'Evolution' is a bit rich, but I just don't mind it and I always have a few new ones when I need to look presentable. But I literally don't wear any other tops day to day.
              I love rick double layers but they're still build by monkeys with sewing machines. Let's not bullshit each other here...

Oh and all those shabby goths with 4/10 bodies should wear more structure. I'm sorry but Rick is for the winners among the body conscious set.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• shdws
                • Sep 2011

Fellow stylezeitgeistians,
                Question
                Say you have one boot that is made from the same type of leather, for simplicity sake, lets make it horse leather.

On said boot multiple copies are made same design, toe box shape, instep etc until we reach the shaft (POINT OF THIS POST)

May someone enlighten me on the following statement, correct me if I am wrong.
                Theoretically a lace up closure will HOLD ITS SHAPE and last longest when compared to, zipper closure, slip on boot and elasticated slip on boots.

Now I am confused why one would would purchase say
                this
                LAYERS sources the finest avant-garde and contemporary fashion designers from around the world. Discover Maison Margiela, Uma Wang, MM6, By Walid, Rundholz, and more at our boutique in Soho, London!

over this

OR EVEN
                LAYERS sources the finest avant-garde and contemporary fashion designers from around the world. Discover Maison Margiela, Uma Wang, MM6, By Walid, Rundholz, and more at our boutique in Soho, London!

Clearly I have no understanding of how long the elastic part is going to last....but my brain tells me once you stretch that bad boy so many times by tucking pants in, or even just by putting it on and taking it off... its just going to be floppy and stretched, thus turning into a loose boot, and distorted shaft.

Anyway, does that mean one would have to purchase these boots extra tight for the predicted stretch?

I am sure many of you have elasticated shaft sections, how are they holding up? in terms of shape and fit compared to your lace ups.

Thanks!

(cool song btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLWpY...eature=related)

(I assume I posted in the right section, seems fitting if not I'll delete and re-post)
                Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• Oasis
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by shdws View Post
                  Now I am confused why one would would purchase say
                  this
                  I have these on the way so I'll let you know how they hold up. I'm not too worried about deterioration of the elastic to be honest. The boots do have a very basic lacing system too; if you look closely there is a loop of leather at the rear which you can feed a lace through and knot it at the front should you desire.

For me it was more an aesthetic choice, I prefer these to most other Augusta.. I'm not a fan of lace up boots in any case (on myself anyways).
                  Originally posted by christianef
                  u looks like tbone on the juice.

Comment

• shdws
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Oasis View Post
                    I have these on the way so I'll let you know how they hold up. I'm not too worried about deterioration of the elastic to be honest. The boots do have a very basic lacing system too; if you look closely there is a loop of leather at the rear which you can feed a lace through and knot it at the front should you desire.

For me it was more an aesthetic choice, I prefer these to most other Augusta.. I'm not a fan of lace up boots in any case (on myself anyways).
                    hi Oasis!

Thanks buddy.
                    I know what you mean, they obviously look different (I guess it is down to aesthetics definitely, and not durability and longevity), but when price is literally the same compared to lace ups, just baffles me, as common sense tells me lace ups would hold better form if I plan on wearing the boots for say at least a year.

I wonder how ones Achilles tendon/heel will will react to such a unique lacing method.
                    Have you seen these btw? http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=ee7f476e.jpg
                    from Augusta thread on these forums
                    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• beardown
                      rekoner
                      • Feb 2009

I very much imagine that the elastic in any footwear would be easily replaced by a decent cobbler if it were ever necessary. I've had a pair similar to the augustas with elastic that never wore out or stretched out enough to make a difference in the fit.

I'm not a fan of the material on footwear but seems to me that any kind of stretching would be easily remedied with a new piece of elastic.
                      Originally posted by mizzar
                      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• shdws
                        • Sep 2011

hi beardown!

I wonder if anyone has reached that stage after a few months of wear, where the elastic has been stretched so much they had to get a cobbler to replace. If so on such replacement, wonder how it turned out, anyone have pictures?
                        Interesting, you obviously tucked your pants into them as well right? (like snugly/tight) and still in good form?

Do you mean you yourself are not a fan of the elastic or Augustas (topic is not really about the Augustas, but I don't mind your opinion on them as well)

Comment

• Oasis
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by shdws View Post
                          hi Oasis!

Thanks buddy.
                          I know what you mean, they obviously look different (I guess it is down to aesthetics definitely, and not durability and longevity), but when price is literally the same compared to lace ups, just baffles me, as common sense tells me lace ups would hold better form if I plan on wearing the boots for say at least a year.

I wonder how ones Achilles tendon/heel will will react to such a unique lacing method.
                          Have you seen these btw? http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=ee7f476e.jpg
                          from Augusta thread on these forums
                          I'd also argue for durability and longevity on the elastic split lama Augustas. I personally think they'll hold their shape better than laced boots might in the long run. Decent elastic is fairly durable.. I really can't see it stretching or breaking.. Where as constant lacing, tightening of the laces and un-lacing can certainly distort the shape of a boot. It's part of the reason I prefer non-laced boots. With regards to comfort, I wear my boots very snug so I'm not to worried about the lacing method. The boots should stay on fine and I don't foresee them being overly uncomfortable per se.

Hadn't seen that particular picture, they look nice there too. There was also a recent fit pic on the boots in the what are you wearing thread not so long ago..

As beardown says; worse case scenario it can likely be replaced. In any case I think I'll be wearing them untucked, more than tucked.
                          Originally posted by christianef
                          u looks like tbone on the juice.

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

New Drkshdw jeans after one wear, bah

Comment

• mizzar
                              • Mar 2008

^ Hogwash?
                              ____
                              sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

Comment

• Raw
                                • Oct 2009

Nah bitter wax.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡