X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProfMonnitoff
    • Jan 2007

Dubstep

It seems that a substantial number of people on here are into dubstep. I don't really know how to start this discussion, so I'll just copy some posts from waywt and let it progress from there.

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
    But dubstep on the other hand,is the evolution of uk underground music.A bastard child of genres which came before it. From hardcore>jungle/drum'n'bass>garage/2step/4x4>grime>dubstep
    Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
    tragedy begets individual triumph

dubstep gets discussed in WAYWT on SZ...

my SZ time cuts into my dubstepforum time...

i'll post up a bit more often in what are you listening to now that I know there's a small contingent that has love for the whomp.
    Originally posted by pierce View Post
    Remember hearing Burial's archangel for the first time in Plastic People london, a concrete bunker with a function one sound system. Place was just dripping with the music.

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
    yeah Untrue was a stellar album...really set burial in his own category from much of what is considered dubstep...

I've been chewing on unreleased bits & radio rips from his forthcoming album since early last year, but no release date is slated...fucker is long overdue...
    Originally posted by huckleberry View Post
    Wheres my money, wab wab wab wab wab wab
    Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
    I like that wab wab wab wab wab wab wab

That being said I also appreciate the more sophisticated parts of the genre. Right now my favourite artist is Phaeleh, I've seen him live a few times, a benefit of living in Bristol. Should we perhaps take this discussion over to Culture?
    Originally posted by pierce View Post
    Think Untrue was beyond dubstep, which is why it became such a critical success. Without getting too arty farty about it, he used musical memories to invoke a real bitter sweet feeling in the listener. For anyone who grew up in the 90's it captured perfectly, in an abstract way, the summer is over feeling that you get sometimes when you listen to the music of your youth.
    Originally posted by jogu
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza
  • munch
    • Aug 2008

archangel's a good song but the lyrics should be changed or something... I just can't stand it

Comment

• ose
      • Mar 2009

always was more into the darker, meditative side of dubstep so here's a few gems for the deep space enthusiast

and a classic:

Comment

• een
        • Sep 2006

love 2562 - peverelist a fine choice as well
        lately:
        scuba
        dfrnt
        king midas sound
        untold
        quantum soul
        f
        instra:mental
        martyn
        aiton
        dusk + blackdown vs. grievous angel
        hmm, pangea too
        not too into wonky, but there are always exceptions

always older stuff as well:
        burial, appleblim, shackleton, loefah, skream, kode 9...
        Last edited by een; 03-24-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
          • Feb 2009

I just came from a Shackleton live in Malmoe.

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
            • Jan 2010

Been listening quite a bit of Skream and scuba from a mixtape I got froma friend. There's no turning back for me. On the other hand mt eden mixes certain songs to a dubstep-like tune.
            MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
              • Mar 2009

Archangel was a good track,reminiscent of early garage. I understand where snafu is coming from,as a guy at work would play that track on repeat for 8 hours a day!

I been listening to some old Kode9 and Space Ape. Nice a mellow with heavy reggae dub influences. Thats the type of dub i like. Not to keen on the really electronic sounding shit. A la new d'n'b.

Benga is another fav,alongside skream also. The Bug's Album London Zoo is a nice alternative type of Dubstep. Still the dutty blines,but laced with ragga vocals.

For anybody who wants a bit of a dub step run down,i suggest downloading Dubstep Collections vol 1-5 i think it is.

Prof if your from bristol tell Roni Size to pull his finger out!

As far as sites go,get darker is a rather good. I have some good friends who are part of Hubba Dubba,they do nights quite often down at plastic people,dj surge & korshun......these boys nights get rather grimey!
              merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                • Feb 2009

Have you seen Living Inside the Speaker (Michael Thomas & Mark Walker 2007), 'bout the Bristol scene? I just wrote to Mortalveneer telling him this movie was my introduction to the genre. Surely it can be watched also by already dubsteppin' folks.

The film was screened together with Musically Mad (Karl Folke 2008), 'bout roots reggae soundsystems.

I got a feeling how these two, in my understanding quite separate genres were closely related and that the passion of reggae is inherited in dubstep.

Of course the real understanding of the music evolves on the dancefloor, with the speakers, the belly impact, the nodding heads, depth and joy.
                Last edited by MASUGNEN; 02-13-2010, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                  • Jan 2010

I've definitely have to go and see that. Among, other things, I've got Nero playing on loop now.
                  MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by MASUGNEN View Post
                    I got a feeling how these two, in my understanding quite separate genres were closely related and that the passion of reggae is inherited in dubstep.

Of course the real understanding of the music evolves on the dancefloor, with the speakers, the belly impact, the nodding heads, depth and joy.
                    That is quite on point. As i said earlier,roots reggae and dub where big influences in jungle and garage. Hence why the music is called dubstep.

Most electronic music created within the uk is a mish mash of genres.
                    Take grime merging with indie.

Black music has always been at the core of it all.
                    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Untitled
                      • Nov 2009

The artists and tracks that have been mentioned above are all great but where is the filth? The stuff that makes you go screw face ? I’m talking about artists such as;

Funtcase, doctor p, high roller and bar 9.

This track is a prime example of what I am talking about

Bar 9 - murdasound

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                        • Mar 2009

Thats where it gets a bit meeeurgggggggh!
                        I am not into the really electronic sound...like i mentioned above in regards to DnB. Not my thing,no real rythm or flow to bounce too.
                        May be im too old,and my fast paced raving days are over,but i like my dubstep,deep,dirty,atmospheric and wth smatterings of ragga flavour!

Ya Get Meeeeeeeee Steeeeeeeppaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzz

lol

Comment

• mortalveneer
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Untitled View Post
                          The artists and tracks that have been mentioned above are all great but where is the filth? The stuff that makes you go screw face ? I’m talking about artists such as;

Funtcase, doctor p, high roller and bar 9.

This track is a prime example of what I am talking about

Bar 9 - murdasound

I run a promo mailout for a few djs scattered all over the world, so I listen to it all...

Heavy Kill stuff:

Bar 9
                          16bit
                          Excision
                          Datsik
                          Sukh Knight
                          Flux Pavilion
                          Borgore
                          Skism
                          Stenchman
                          Vaski
                          Caspa

Spacey, melodic, chill stuff:

Clouds
                          Burial
                          Phaeleh
                          Lung
                          16bit (comes correct on all manner of stuff)
                          VVV
                          Kryptic Minds
                          Geiom
                          Instra:mental
                          Nosaj Thing (not really dubstep)
                          Mt. Kimbie (not really dubstep)

Dubbed out, or hip-hop influenced bizness:

6BLOCC
                          Radical Guru
                          Propa Tingz
                          Max Ulis
                          Brown & Gammon
                          Dub & Run
                          Don Goliath
                          L-Wiz
                          Tryptomatik
                          Titus Twelve
                          Jacin Jani
                          Matty G
                          RSD

Techy/Synthy/Glitchy/Harder to define stuff:

Joker
                          Rusko
                          Cardopusher
                          RDubz
                          Not in My Name
                          Zeno
                          Plus 2
                          Mimosa
                          Riskotheque
                          Daega Soundsystem

This list is entirely incomplete, and pigeonholes a good number of artists that are producing across all these sounds and further, into other sub-genres, ranging from glitch hop, to downtempo, to dnb, to dub, to garage/grime, to 4x4 and even house...

It is, however, a good idea of what has been rattling around my eardrums for the past month and a half, as its all taken from a brief perusal of the past month's vinyl rip playlists on my ipod...
                          I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Enaml
                            • Apr 2009

Last edited by Enaml; 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM.
                            How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                              • Jan 2007

As much as I appreciate the loud/wobbly/fuuuuuckkkkkk stuff, it very much reminds me of DnB shortly before the genre imploded. Too much focusing on one element of the sound (in Dubstep's case the wobble, in DnB's case the reese) while neglecting everything else that makes the genre great. Many tracks now just take a mildly popular mainstream/top40 track, import it into Reason, change BPMs to 140, put a loud snare/clap on 3, and wobble all over it. That can be fun, but it gets tiring.

Of course that has little long run influence on the scene, which can be seen by the large amount of great stuff that is still being released.

That being said I'm not knocking the "squittybubbler" sound, just saying that it doesn't represent all there is to dubstep.

I recently bought this gem on vinyl. First release on the label, you could literally see where they had hand cut the promo material with some shoddy scissors

Originally posted by merz
                              yer bristolian prof?
                              I'm not Bristolian, but I go to University there.
                              Originally posted by jogu
                              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎