Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesd
    • Sep 2008

I can see it in some of the individual pieces but the overall impression is not what I think of as the best of Ann -- and for me, her aesthetic just works much better in FW than SS.

Comment

• stretcheroo
      • Nov 2009

Look at it this way: at least there won't be a lot of questions posting pictures from this collection and asking -- can someone tell me what the color code is for this?

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by jogu View Post
        lol u guys are harsh
        It's certainly not a bad collection, just a step down from recent Ann for me.
        Originally posted by jogu
        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• mononon
          • Sep 2009

certainly with a collection like last's, Ann's current season is going to be a disappointment
          calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

My first impression was that it looks very fencing inspired, at least the white part of the collection.

I really, really dislike the sneakers with all the straps, remind me of Juun J. The rest of the footwear is nice, I want the white ankle boots.

Like others have said there are a lot of recognizable shapes here, I don't mind that all that much because a lot of these are pieces that I loved the first time around. I do however think it makes the collection as a whole feel less fresh though.

Looking at the HQ shots there are quite a lot a nice variations in the fabrics/texture not immediately apparent in the lower quality pictures. There are lots of individual pieces that look really nice, I love almost all of the jackets for example. Would have liked some more variation in the trousers though, there are some fabric variations visible in the HQ images but they do all look very similar.

I do think as a whole it feels a little too clean cut, but after looking through it several times I don't dislike it, but it's not great either. Not her best collection, but not bad either. Certainly better than SS10.

Comment

• mononon
              • Sep 2009

^i actually really really like those strapped sneakers in white haha

yes, it does look very fencing inspired, also a lot of the jackets look very very rigid, uncomfortable, and oddly shaped (like cropped in a weird way)
              calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• fightattack
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by niji248 View Post
                All these white outfits look like hotel bell-boys. Apparently the poets stopped reading Keats and got into Star Trek.
                Maybe not so much Star Trek.

Reminds me more of George Lucas' THX 1138

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

I think this is a refreshing departure for Ann. There are lots of her signature jackets but the presentation is much sleeker than usual which I like. I'm sure she'll be back to romance next winter, but for a summer collection, this is nice.

Her use of all white then all black makes for an interesting presentation, the all white section comes off as clinical and futuristic while the black section looks more typical romantic Ann, yet the garments from each section are almost the same. I'm wondering, what are these pads strapped to the side? Is this part of the fencing thing? They're the only thing that bother me as I can't see the being a practical accessory and many of the outfits would be plainer without them.
                  music

Comment

• Apr 2009

From what I can see from the images, I was hoping for something a bit more from Ann. It's very good, but it verging towards winter attire on some looks. The trousers and shoes look good, and the 'breast plate' pieces don't actually look that out of place. Was this collection meant to be inspired by Jackson Pollock or is that something completely different?

Perhaps I'm feeling inclined this way because SS10 was one of my favourite Ann collections. I'm sure the more I look at this, the more it will resonate with me, and it is already starting to.
                    Originally posted by dji
                    don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• Apr 2009

Originally posted by niji248 View Post
                      I agree. I was really disappointed (and disturbed) by this collection (as if spring '10 wasn't enough - silk pajama/boxing robes!?!?!)

All these white outfits look like hotel bell-boys. Apparently the poets stopped reading Keats and got into Star Trek. And the velcro high tops?!?!? I mean, the patent leather versions this currently spring was already a shocker, but now, velcro?!?! Woah.

So many of the shapes are from recent seasons, the hooded blazer, the ruffled-on-the-facing jacket from winter 08, the fencing jackets from the women's collection winter 09, etc. Whatever happened to "creating a new shape in every collection" that she mentioned in her interviews?

It will make me feel better if it was the assistance that designed the collection and not her. Because if she can come up with something like this, it makes me doubt of all the wonderful ones from before.

I have been a very loyal fan and worship her work, and this is a blow.
                      Correct, alot of the silhouettes are from previous collections but dismissing this as the work of her assistants is somewhat harsh. It is very difficult to push boundaries, create something radically original season after season. This applies for all designers. SS10 was something quite radical from Ann, and you and others dismissed it as being something quite un/Demeulemeester, this is why it was one of my favourite collections from her. I'm struggling to see your logic.

What I see here is vintage Ann, nothing extraordinary but not bad at the same time. Theres alot of nice pieces if you inspect the looks closely. And if your worried about the white looks, I can assure you they will be available in a black colourway if that is what you are after.
                      Originally posted by dji
                      don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

I much preferred the segment of this show that took place in white, which is much more s/s. The black feels too safe.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• XenoX101
                          • Dec 2008

This is great and nicely minimalist, reminds you that Ann is not just about romanticism (remember that dada collection?). I think this kind of inventiveness is necessary for designers to keep things fresh and interesting for the customer.

It also seems curious that people would dislike RO and in past seasons Julius for being a bit too samey in their collections, and yet when Ann D gets inventive and produces something thats a slight departure from her romantic collections, she gets disliked for being creative. What is it then, do you want designers to be the same or different collection after collection? Seems almost like people arbitrarily choose which designers should stick with what they're doing and which ones shouldn't and then judge them accordingly. I for one am glad that Ann D is getting creative with her collections.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                            • Mar 2009

I didn't find this creative at all. Abandoning colors and patterns to go for an all black/all white show looks to me as a very modest move forward. And as it has already been said, lots of the pieces displayed yesterday were merely a rehearsal from last seasons jackets and tops. When not, the fencing/military inspiration of some of the jackets was so obvious that they were barely distinct from their historic models.

But after a good night of sleep, I do find it was a interesting show. Not really for the garments, but because of the designer's (successfull or not) attempt to dry her inspiration to the bone and to display the forms at work in her creation.
                            And despite of the absence of color, despite of the industrial soundtrack - or maybe because of them - romanticism was still there, in my opinion. Forms in themselves are enough to convey it. And black, white may in fact become very romantic choices, especially when associated with the aforementioned forms.

Nothing is more romantic than a young, handsome guy dressed in an all-black cavalry outfit, after all.
                            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Chant
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2008

Also sprach Mail "The Consensus is the Pinnacle of Thinking" Moth.

Let me phrase it in another way :

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                              Nothing is more boring and cliche than a young, handsome guy dressed in an all-black cavalry outfit, after all.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                                Also sprach Mail "The Consensus is the Pinnacle of Thinking" Moth.
                                I simply understand the greatness of every human being behind apparent antagonisms, my friend. I am a man of communion and peace
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎