• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

TED; because it's better than facebook

Post your favorite TED talks here.

Barry Schwarts on the paradox of choice.

Alain de Botton: A kinder, gentler philosophy of success.

Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing creativity.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I think what he is trying to get at is that monetary and social success does not make you a good, intelligent, engaging, interesting person. For example the idea that if you are smart, you should be rich is preposterous, but is constantly perpetuated by our society, as well as the idea that you can take your destiny into your own hands (maybe more people should read Kafka). Many people become rich because their parents are rich, or they know the right people, and so on, and not because they are intelligent and work hard. And vice versa.

In his memoirs the writer Elias Canetti recalled his quarrel with his brother, who was a very successful doctor in Paris and had a befitting social circle who disdained Canetti. Canetti complained to his brother that the nature of his work, thinking and writing, was such that in the society where his brother operated, which has become most of society, he had no visible means of showing success. He wasn't rich, he couldn't afford a luxury lifestyle, which only serves to show that you have made it. Did it make him a worse person? No. Did it make him unsuccessful? Not in his mind - in his mind he was very content with his intellectual pursuits. And as a sign of poetic justice he went on to win the Nobel prize for literature. But many other people like him don't.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Faust,
      I didn't know about the site until you posted a link the other day........
      thanks man, it seems interesting and I will be checking it out..........
      I wanna be rich though.......whether I'm intelligent or not
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

TED is like THE site I would save if internet came to an end. I've spent countless hours on that site, watching everything from how crocheting can solve complex mathematical problems to whatnot. i love this site.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ Post something, then! :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

Every time someone links me anything on TED I end up loosing a few hours of my life.

Rory Sutherland: Life lessons from an ad man

This one is somewhat relevant to SZ because it makes a relatively convincing case for why perceived value (paying more for something than it's "real" value) can be a good thing for the environment and the world in general.

Johanna Blakley: Lessons from fashion's free culture

Relevant for obvious reasons. Plus she is wearing a rick leather :) Deals with copyright/trademarks and plagiarism in fashion compared to other industries.

Comment

I will. I just have to select a few favourites.

edit: just bumped into this one about ego in graphic design

Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Davinelulinvega
                • Jul 2010

not really a TED talk, but they featured it: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/do...verything.html

highly educational, but more importantly, very, very entertaining.

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

Great thread. Some favourites:

Sir Ken Robinson - Schools kill creativity
                  Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.

Jamie Oliver on the food revolution
                  let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                    • Mar 2007

Sir Ken Robinson

Avantster...i'm a fan of Sir Ken's talks too. Great speaker, love his dry humour. Finished his book The Element recently...good, easy read.

Here's another one of his on ted:
                    Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the learning revolution!

Enjoyed this too:
                    Dave Eggers' wish: Once Upon a School

Comment

• mesko
                      • Nov 2009

Theo Jansen maybe does not have revolutionary ideas about education or whatever, but he is really inspiring.

Comment

• fenrost
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2009

^ yeah, love what theo jansen does, i dint agree when bmw used him as a subject of their innovation in the commercial, theo IS innovation, bmw well, not quite.

i was first introduced ted talk 3 years ago, first talk i saw was hans rosling talk, it's still mind opening, for me.
                        Last edited by fenrost; 08-09-2010, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          I think what he is trying to get at is that monetary and social success does not make you a good, intelligent, engaging, interesting person. For example the idea that if you are smart, you should be rich is preposterous, but is constantly perpetuated by our society, as well as the idea that you can take your destiny into your own hands (maybe more people should read Kafka). Many people become rich because their parents are rich, or they know the right people, and so on, and not because they are intelligent and work hard. And vice versa.

In his memoirs the writer Elias Canetti recalled his quarrel with his brother, who was a very successful doctor in Paris and had a befitting social circle who disdained Canetti. Canetti complained to his brother that the nature of his work, thinking and writing, was such that in the society where his brother operated, which has become most of society, he had no visible means of showing success. He wasn't rich, he couldn't afford a luxury lifestyle, which only serves to show that you have made it. Did it make him a worse person? No. Did it make him unsuccessful? Not in his mind - in his mind he was very content with his intellectual pursuits. And as a sign of poetic justice he went on to win the Nobel prize for literature. But many other people like him don't.
                          This is the best articulated summary on the infinitely frustrating nature of human success I've ever seen.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• syed
                            • Sep 2010

Dan Gilbert, Why are we happy?

Synthesis your own happiness!
                            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎