Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catfood
    • Oct 2008

I pretty much agree with Andrew's post on the first page.

For starters I think there are way to many looks.
    There really is no reason this collection needs to 40+ looks, especially considering how basic much of it is.

To me a lot of this looks pretty bad, the good things are the more basic pieces he does every season anyway.
    Some of it looks so bad that it's funny. This for example made me smile:

Eternal mentioned that the jackets and blazers look awkward and I have to say I agree.
    It's a shame since a lot of the ones from the Fall collection are quite nice and it would have been nice to see some more progression on the tailoring side of things.

Have to say that this is my least favorite Rick collection by far and it feels like a big step backwards from the really great fall 2010.

Comment

• Nemesis_4
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
      Have to say that this is my least favorite Rick collection by far and it feels like a big step backwards from the really great fall 2010.
      I completely agree..... this collection is just blah, I really don't know what else to say- I feel like for this collection more than ever Rick really took the backseat, I have to say I'm disappointed.... and I rarely say that about Rick

Comment

• Chant
        Banned
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
        There really is no reason this collection needs to 40+ looks, especially considering how basic much of it is.
        Don't forget that a runway presentation is a show. And this was a very good one, with new features, like 2 or 3 models comming at the same time on the stage, and a ver heavy techno music + the smoke. I ued to regret that, due to the models' ultra speed walking, Rick's shows hat jsut begun that they were already finished. Now, models are still running all over the place, the show has a good duration.
        The music was interesting as well, since it's was so loud that you could think about what you saw no more, and were only ipressed by sounds, movements and colours (a lot of black and white this, as the final enhances it).

I do think that this show is very interesting, and in the continuity of the two previous ones (I don't count SS 10, that I didn't like, even though it the time where all the skorts settled down in his vocabulary) : FW 09 and FW 10.
        He's definitely inventing something new, but on the tracks of what he did recently (even though it's very interesting to notice that the so called "tailored stuff", after a short time where Rick was playing with the traditional tailoring codes, is now something absolutely idiosyncratic, and remarkably "laughably ridiculous" - he would love the slogan).
        I'll elaborate later.

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BSR View Post

looks like the guy lives in a giant SS10 sneaker

You're right, hood has the same shape as the SS 10 shark sneakers.
          And he's wearing his sister's boots, ineptly tainted in brown and two years later :

Rick keeps on adapting some women's shape to the mens wardrobe.

Comment

• andrewislasorad
            • Nov 2006

This should help your point CH

Fantastic show, I can see the magic in this more later..

Comment

• andrew
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
              Don't forget that a runway presentation is a show. And this was a very good one, with new features, like 2 or 3 models comming at the same time on the stage, and a ver heavy techno music + the smoke.

The music was interesting as well, since it's was so loud that you could think about what you saw no more, and were only ipressed by sounds, movements and colours (a lot of black and white this, as the final enhances it).
              I actually wonder if this is the most interesting point raised: at the end of the day is it a show in its own right, to be judged separately as an entity or is it a marketing tool meant to sell the clothes? As far as i am concerned the show is simply a tool to make people aware of the brand and perhaps inspire them with an ambiance if not an exact look to emulate, so perhaps the deafening sound, movements and colours described above serve that purpose.

I would however argue that if the most impressive thing about a show is the soundtrack, lighting and the fact that the models came two or three at once then the show has failed to some degree at least.

I feel like maybe this kind of discussion has cropped up before but i would be curious to know what people thought about the show and how successful it was to that end (as a marketing tool, not a catalogue), regardless of liking the actual pieces.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

really like the video that andrew posted. those reverse geysers in the finale were something else. i do see now how the multiplicity of similar looks was integral to the spectacle. still don't know if i'm convinced but i'm less disappointed after watching this then i was yesterday when i woke up to the white beavis coat and joseph and his polka-dotted monochromatic lab coat.
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• macuser2of5
                  • Apr 2010

It does look better moving; and he gets points for using AFX/Polygon Window.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                    • Mar 2009

Lets not forget,the looks and pieces for the show are selected by Panos Yiapannis, the stylist that takes care of all of Ricks shows.
                    So im sure there will be plenty more surprises within the showroom.

Im never really a big fan of Ricks summer collections in general.
                    As a show, it looked great,but in terms of varying product not so.
                    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

another opinion

i'm a little surprised that so many are saying they're disappointed in it. especially when it is vastly superior to SS10's denim debacle. i will concede that many of the looks were similar to each other. but i don't mind when he's sending 2 or 3 down the runway at a time. i will also concede that a lot of it is very familiar. new twists on old pieces. but i don't mind that either. it is just a small evolution, rather than the giant leap that was/is FW10. for me SS is always a short story and FW is a novel. and i for one like this story. of course there are some duds - polka dot lab coat, burka boots (i made that up). but all in all it is totally wearable and still utterly unique. we seem to hold rick to a very high standard, basically in comparison to himself. but put that collection up against 99% of what we'll see in paris and it will blow it away. for me anyway.

and i plan on getting a short sleeve jacket. to me its hilarious.

i also love what he's doing with the boots.

bad ass

and why do we always seem to need to remind ourselves that runway presentations are shows?
                      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Chant
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by merz
                        to the smoke machines, batman.

seriously though, not feeling it. summer's the.. well, you know how that goes.

Nay, nay, nay.
                        Summer is the new winter.

Comment

• Chant
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by andrew View Post
                          I actually wonder if this is the most interesting point raised: at the end of the day is it a show in its own right, to be judged separately as an entity or is it a marketing tool meant to sell the clothes? As far as i am concerned the show is simply a tool to make people aware of the brand and perhaps inspire them with an ambiance if not an exact look to emulate, so perhaps the deafening sound, movements and colours described above serve that purpose.

I would however argue that if the most impressive thing about a show is the soundtrack, lighting and the fact that the models came two or three at once then the show has failed to some degree at least.

I feel like maybe this kind of discussion has cropped up before but i would be curious to know what people thought about the show and how successful it was to that end (as a marketing tool, not a catalogue), regardless of liking the actual pieces.
                          You don't see the clothes during a runway show, it's impossible, and it's not meant to be imo. And i never the clothes from the show, since a good show - as a bad one - will false your opinion. So, I'd say there's no connection between the quality, or not, of the show and the quality of the clothes. So I only judge runways as I would for any show performed on stage.
                          In addition, the main purpose of the show is to be the place where the vulgar+unpolite Italian photographers will shoot the pictures for the websites and the press.

The place where you're going to see the clothes, feel them, touch them and have thus the avantsterian tactile experience is the showroom.

And if you want to judge the designer's intentions, you have catwalking to see the outfits at their best.

Comment

• DHC
                            • Jul 2007

It is so selfless of Christian to photograph the runway shows. And he does it for all you SZ members. He gets paid nothing and actually denies himself the joy of immersing himself in the whole experience. His view is through the camera. Tunnel vision isn't the best way to see a show, but he does it for us. Thank a trillion squared Christian. You are the best man on SZ! PERIOD!
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

fuck. i wanted to go, but didn't have time. this looks epic. rick just gets better and better. always a refreshing amount of surprises.

Comment

• andrew
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                                I'd say there's no connection between the quality, or not, of the show and the quality of the clothes. So I only judge runways as I would for any show performed on stage.
                                But thats eactly my point, maybe i misjudged it as a show because i dont like the look of the collection, where as the show is meant to actually convince me to seek out the collection to see it properly, and not act as a catalogue. I still dont like it personally but i wish i could have seen it in person as i imagine i would have felt totally different.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎