Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lane
    • Aug 2010

I always tell people my rick dunks are nikes and it works like a charm.

Comment

• avout
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      What the hell are you talking about. Wow, forums make some people really fucking jaded. Go to the corner of Canal/Broadway in NYC and show 100 people the Rick sneaker and ask them if they know it. You'll be lucky if you find one. The narrowness of perspective of many members of this forum is truly mind-boggling.
      Compared to the results you'd get with Poell, 1/100 might be pretty high. I'm not saying they're on par with Nike, but they are recognizable to "regular" people with an interest in fashion, in a way that most SZ brands aren't. In Seoul, where korean popstars go to Rick Owens store events, you might get even more recognition these days. Japanese auctons still often advertise Rick dunks as "the ones worn by Kimura Takuya" (a japanese celebrity). I don't see that happening with anything else that we talk about in this forum.

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
      ^that is ludicrous. if something becomes iconic it doesn't automatically make it tacky like a hanging logo or embroidered one would
      I don't think they're tacky, nor did I use "branding" in a derogatory way. I just meant that they are part of a marketable brand image, and branding goes beyond logos. They've got a surprisingly broad appeal, especially for SZ standards.

Comment

• kunk75
        Banned
        • May 2008

if you think people with a passing interest in fashion knw what the hell a ccp is i think you are woefully mistaken

Comment

• avout
          • Nov 2011

I don't, that was basically my point!

Comment

• the breaks
            • Sep 2007

rick owens has transformed womens high street fashion in the last couple of years... every fast fashion kiosk will have at least one leather jacket design more or less directly copied off him

it's like what happened with guys when hedi was at dior.. at least over here in scandinavia it sometimes looked like half the guys had just stepped off the dior homme runway, and they were all pretty much wearing local high street brands
            Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• kuugaia
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
              Talk about sig material. Now tell us how Carol was a Nazi and we'll have a real debate going.
              I think you missed the point I was making. I'm merely stating that I don't have a problem with Chrome Hearts jewllery (it's actually alright), but the majority of the people I see rocking Chrome Hearts merchandise (not the jewellery specifically) ruin it for me. Not because I'm better than them, or whatever bullshit; it's simply because we're different people. It's the association with a group that I don't feel like I belong with that's the problem. So irregardless of how good the designs at CH are, I won't feel a connection to the brand due to its more prevalent customer base. It seems using anything to do with 'Nazi' garners strange responses, or is it the CH loyalty?

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Beardown is not talking about your own taste, but the cultural currents. These may indeed shape your own taste in a reactionary way, but I don't see a problem with that since, as you yourself would say before me, all style is contextual.
                no misunderstanding here: i just said the opposite, that beardown's account of the distinction between subtle and gaudy merchandise was just an instance of what is usually deemed as the 'bourgeois' taste (beautiful = good taste = approved by elite = what the masses can't understand...). A perfect illustration below:

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                I think you missed the point I was making. I'm merely stating that I don't have a problem with Chrome Hearts jewllery (it's actually alright), but the majority of the people I see rocking Chrome Hearts merchandise (not the jewellery specifically) ruin it for me. Not because I'm better than them, or whatever bullshit; it's simply because we're different people. It's the association with a group that I don't feel like I belong with that's the problem. So irregardless of how good the designs at CH are, I won't feel a connection to the brand due to its more prevalent customer base. It seems using anything to do with 'Nazi' garners strange responses, or is it the CH loyalty?
                which could be rephrased as:
                1) 'i know i belong to a group, i share the values and rules and behaviors of this group, and reject what is not approved by the group (or its leaders)'
                2) 'therefore, my first criterion to choose an item is its group validation or forbidding'

@beardown: no personal reaction on my behalf, i was just questioning your distinction between subtle/non-subtle and your use of the 'branding' concept (which i still don't really get from your last post, but no big deal).
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                  It seems using anything to do with 'Nazi' garners strange responses
                  think about what you're juxtaposing here. this is the worst possible comparison, of course you will get strange responses.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chant
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

Beardown, isn't your point of view a bit naive ? How can you think that no logo is not a kind of logo ?
                    What is the purpose of the logo ? To make the brand easily recognizable.

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                    And there's a certain amount of respect I have for designers and brands who don't even need to place an obvious logo.
                    Did you ask yourself why they don't need to do it ? Because they do it otherwise.
                    All the brands that you're talking about have a lot a characteritic - and stable - features that make them very easy to identify in a clink of an eye. I totally aggre with Avout.
                    In this case no logo is logo - only a bit more complex, or subtle, not sure though.
                    And I won't say anything about MA+, who puts the logo right in the middle of some of their clothes...
                    But, of course you'll say that the people around you have no idea of the charasteristics of the clothes that you wear, hence won't recognize them, hence the "logo status effect" won't work.

Whoa!It's true that 100% of people I come across would never recognize anything I'm wearing (outside of possibly a trip out of state). Down to something as obvious as Rick dunks. [...] I know when I leave home, not a single person is going to recognize anything I'm wearing or associate it with wealth or affluence in any way.
                    Again it's a bit naive. To say it short, there are two groups of people buying SZ brands. Those who are in the know, and what they buy will be recognized immediately by the people they frequent. Those you don't have this kind of environnment, like you (if I understand you right), and those will... register here to see their clothes recognized and, sometimes, praised, but online.

Whereas all the heavy logos and branding (logos, logotypes, hang tags, identity pieces...specific shapes (think Adidas), colors, etc....that's what I mean by 'branding.') tend to cry out for attention: "Buy me because I represent status, I represent belonging to a certain crowd or demographic. I represent money, wealth and exclusivity.'
                    When I read these lines, I thought that it was a very accurate description of the effect produced by the SZ brands.

To conclude shortly, I'd say that this discussion is only about "distinction", in a bourdieusian way, and that I'm amazed that some people here truly think that they're better than those who wear D&G belts or carry LV bags. There's no difference between them and us. Sorry to state the obvious.
                    Last edited by Chant; 05-07-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

That's bullshit. What are the boundaries of good taste, loafers and pocket squares? Hollister sweatshirts?
                      What the intelligentsia considers to be good taste. You have to understand that "good taste" is the most bourgeois structuring process and tool of distinction you'll ever likely to encounter. There is a good reason many of my outfits display multiple signs of bourgeois distinction but with mixed in counter signals (say narco-trafficante or colonial elements) that make the whole thing crash down into bad taste.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• BSR
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        mixed in counter signals (say narco-trafficante or colonial elements) that make the whole thing crash down into bad taste.
                        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian View Post

To conclude shortly, I'd say that this discussion is only about "distinction", in a bourdieusian way, and that I'm amazed that some people here truly think that they're better than those who wear D&G belts or carry LV bags. There's no difference between them and us. Sorry to state the obvious.
                          Amen brother

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                            But there is a difference, SZ brands are more expensive!!
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

/thread
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Better looking

Obviously it is false to assume when encountering an individual to judge his/her character through dress. And yet, and yet, I don't think it's completely unsubstantiated to make assumptions based on what groups of people wear. Yes, they may be reductivist, but if we agree that we navigate life in no small part by signs, than it become not so hard to say, this is probably not the group that shares my values or tastes (and taste is a value in itself).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎