X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckwheat
    • Sep 2006

Men White Shirt

Does wearing a white under t-shirt underneath a white dress shirt look bad?

I
    have to wear a white under T almost under everything! It's like
    my second skin (or disease if you think I am crazy [*-)])

I
    don't feel comfortable wearing a white dress shirt without wearing an
    under T (especially lighter material). I don't want to show my
    nips and don't want to feel like I am naked. But then showing
    through the white under T undernearth doesn't look that great either
    sometimes.

Any solutions? or wearing a white under T is perfectly fine?

And please post some of your favorite white shirts.

• Astrid
    • Sep 2006

Re: Men White Shirt

I think it's perfectly fine. My husband swears by Calvin Klein's sleeveless white crewneck tees.

I don't feel very original saying this, but I still favor the slenderness of Dior Homme's white shirts.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I think it's fine as well. My favorite white shirts are by Ann (I know I sound like a broken record). She often uses very soft cotton with textured pattern that is hard to describe - it creates vertical lines on the shirt, but they don't stand out unless you look at the fabric closely (mental note, must take a picture.. well, must buy a camera first). She did them again this season. White is so hard to take care of though, for me at least.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Buckwheat
        • Sep 2006

Good - so I guess I am OK

Yes I like/have thatDior Homme shirt too. But I only wear that for formal setting. I have people asked me what's that dead bug down at the corner...so now I call mine "the dead bug shirt"

I like Yohji Yamamoto and Issey Miyake white shirt. They usually haveamazing material and interesting subtle details. APC makes good basic white shirt too.

I have to check out Ann Dem next time. You know I still haven't seen any Ann Dem menswear in person...hahaha [:|]

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Buckwheat"]

Good - so I guess I am OK

Yes I like/have thatDior Homme shirt too. But I only wear that for formal setting. I have people asked me what's that dead bug down at the corner...so now I call mine "the dead bug shirt"

I like Yohji Yamamoto and Issey Miyake white shirt. They usually haveamazing material and interesting subtle details. APC makes good basic white shirt too.

I have to check out Ann Dem next time. You know I still haven't seen any Ann Dem menswear in person...hahaha [:|]

[/quote]

I have a black one :-) No Ann Dem in person?! Shock![:O] Her fabrics are softer compared to those of Yohji and Issey. She doesn't do crisp.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• RUI
            • Sep 2006

check out my site for white shirts:

http://www.thisoldthing.net/wcc.html

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

Definitely wear the undershirt beneath the white button-down. Having sweat stains is much worse! I think it is generally accepted that unless you are Tom Ford or have an unbelievably nice chest to show off, wear an undershirt! Plus, it will help your shirts to last longer. The human body is an overall disgusting thing; having barriers between it and your expensive goods is always helpful. ;)

Comment

• Buckwheat
                • Sep 2006

rui - that's like a shirt jacket isn't it? pretty cool details.

rach2jlc - yes! definitely about the sweat stains!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

I definitely agree with those that say a "barrier" between your expensive dress shirts and your armpits are very key. I've ruined a lot of dress shirts with yellowing under the arms....

I actually prefer a thin black tee under my dress shirts. I find that the black doesn't show through as readily. I'm a big fan of an American Apparel tee under my dress shirt. That way if you go out sans tie, the black serves as a nice contrast to a crisp white shirt as well!

-A

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

The shirt won't show much if it isn't loose, those slightly too big sleeves will make the top part of your dress shirt sleeves stand in a funny way. As long as you avoid that you should be fine.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• airboyair
                      • Oct 2006

i used to avoid wearing white just because i hate those yellow armpit stains, but after i tried on weleda deodorant, whites remained white. i have balenciaga dress shirts that are so high on the armpits and they are still white.

sage and citrus are good staples (i am partial to citrus) but i dare you to wear the wild rose one and i promise it does not smell rose-y girly. i have a friend, she's french and a perfume designer and she told me that the rose oil interacts with a guy's sweat in a good way giving off a musky-floral combination and i can tell you - it works, it does the job and it keeps your whites white. fyi, this french girl is all over me because of my deodorant.

anyway, something to do with aluminum chloride that gives that nasty yellow stain:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-04/986435268.Bc.r.html

but because weleda is all natural, organic, blah blah then do give it a try and wear your whites with confidence.

Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

I think a white crewneck that is visible under a button up is a no-no. I often wear an undershirt, but always a v or deep v-neck so it's not visible with a button or two undone. IMO the only time it's acceptable to see the undershirt is

1) if there is an intentional contrast between the undershirt and the button up (like dior 05 with the words from the infamous "the end" shirt visible under all the shirts)

2) if the button up is very sheer and casual.

Otherwise, it's a liitle too much "oops my underwear is showing" plus I have bad associations from the people that usually do this (poorly dressed corporate drones).

music

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

I also think it's ok, but don't do it much now. It's a very cdg thing (maybe that's why buckwheat is a fan) - they almost always show a plain white tee under just about everything (including other plain white tees sometimes). The shirt must be quite close to the body I think otherwise it bumphles up the shirt on top, sort of sticks to the fabric.

airboy thanks for the tip on the deo...i have this problem too, since i wear(what americans seem to call) a dress shirt everyday. I solve the problem by always wearing my jacket, which I like because it's quite old fashioned, as well as solving the manky underarm in public issue

Comment

• Piffen
                            • Aug 2007

I think that if the reasonyou're wearing a tee under yourshirt is for comfort purposes this is one of those cases where aesthetics goes first, you don't need to compromise with the aesthetic since there are very effective ways of avoiding sweat stains and even annoying chest hair..

If you wear ateeunder your shirt for aesthetic purposes then it's another question to me, although I personally think it looks bad, since this is as subjective as it gets I'd say..But should I try to explain why I think the way I do I think I just don't likethe look achieved since it isn't obvious to me (in 99% of the cases anyway) that you've made choice due to your stylistic references - if you're into grunge and wear a tee under your shirt this is rather necessery to achieve the look.. and it's obvious you have certain stylistic references, a tee under a dress shirt doesn't give me that impression, rather that of some sort of physiological problem; sweat, chest hair etc... ^^

Edit: I think those Ann D. bondage strap shirts Chris is rocking are the besttake on the white shirt I've seen. Are those mens or womens btw?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="airboyair"]

i used to avoid wearing white just because i hate those yellow armpit stains, but after i tried on weleda deodorant, whites remained white. i have balenciaga dress shirts that are so high on the armpits and they are still white.

sage and citrus are good staples (i am partial to citrus) but i dare you to wear the wild rose one and i promise it does not smell rose-y girly. i have a friend, she's french and a perfume designer and she told me that the rose oil interacts with a guy's sweat in a good way giving off a musky-floral combination and i can tell you - it works, it does the job and it keeps your whites white. fyi, this french girl is all over me because of my deodorant.

anyway, something to do with aluminum chloride that gives that nasty yellow stain:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-04/986435268.Bc.r.html

but because weleda is all natural, organic, blah blah then do give it a try and wear your whites with confidence.

[/quote]

I gots to get some of this

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎