X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

Re: Carol Christian Poell

does anyone know how the leather and paper are integrated? it sounds like such an interesting medium to work with.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

From what I can tell in all the photos (and via Lazzariweb) I believe Carol has sheets of this "paper" (which must be really quite heavy duty and cotton based.... I'm thinking something like US money type "paper" if not even more durable) and stitches it to the leather.

All the leather pieces thus far (the shoes have yet to be seen) have one side that is paper the other leather... that's where I kinda got the idea. I looked at the Atelier photos of the paper/leather belt a bit more too.

Integration of different materials into a SINGLE fabric layer is something that Carpe Diem has done really interestingly. I believe someone on tFS (raijin I think) has/had a pair of Linea pants that was a knit of leather, metal AND cotton!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

From what I can tell in all the photos (and via Lazzariweb) I believe Carol has sheets of this "paper" (which must be really quite heavy duty and cotton based.... I'm thinking something like US money type "paper" if not even more durable) and stitches it to the leather.

All the leather pieces thus far (the shoes have yet to be seen) have one side that is paper the other leather... that's where I kinda got the idea. I looked at the Atelier photos of the paper/leather belt a bit more too.

Integration of different materials into a SINGLE fabric layer is something that Carpe Diem has done really interestingly. I believe someone on tFS (raijin I think) has/had a pair of Linea pants that was a knit of leather, metal AND cotton!

[/quote]

I think Albert is right.. I've seen paper used before in a few garments, but I can't seem recall who did it... anyway, i'd like to hear why poell was inspired to use paper in his garments

Comment

• explicit
          • Jan 2007

On the leather/paper belt, the paper itself is an industrial (reminds me almost of like butcher-block paper or something), plastic-y sort of material. I'm not worried that it's going to tear or rip, that's for sure.

It's hard to describe. It's definitely not a regular paper (perhaps CCP treated it or coated it with something).

I know I need to get off my butt and post some close-up pics and stuff. I think that'll make it easier to get across.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

More pics of A/W. (well, not much...)
            One of Carol's assistants holding up sample
            Looks like a look book/catalog of some kind...
            CCP's showroom.
            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I've been a ccp-lurker for the length of this threadand I must say that it has become one of my favorite brands, looking forwardto seeing the new stuff. hell, even the showroom looks great to me from just those few small pics.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="mike b"]

I've been a ccp-lurker for the length of this thread and I must say that it has become one of my favorite brands, looking forward to seeing the new stuff. hell, even the showroom looks great to me from just those few small pics.

[/quote]

Mike, I'm with you on that. Coming onto this forum I only knew tid bits about the brand and designer and after seeing some of the pictures on here I grew to really like it. Then after viewing the clothing in person, I must say, I'm a believer.
                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• explicit
                  • Jan 2007

^^ Pretty much the exact situation here, too. I'm on my way toward obsessed at this point. Poell's probably my favorite designer working today.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

Mike, I'm with you on that. Coming onto this forum I only knew tid bits about the brand and designer and after seeing some of the pictures on here I grew to really like it. Then after viewing the clothing in person, I must say, I'm a believer.[/quote]

when I saw the stuff in person I didn't know anything about it. I was just amazed how cool they felt but since I hadn't heard muchabout the designer, I didn't really pay that much attention because of the price tags. I'm kind of worried what will happen next time when I go to L'eclaireur for example ;)

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Haha, yes! More believers!!

Mike B, I'm with you. My London trip and Paris trip in June and May will break me. Especially since it seems like L'Eclaireur has many CCP items from past seasons as well (judging from the mens.style video).

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

yea I think they did have some older items, cant remember for sure since I wasn't as familiar with the brand but they did have items that I havent seen in the later pictures atleast.

Comment

• nairb49
                          • Dec 2006

Add me to the list of new devotees.

About the paper, I've seen a couple labels coming out with this material.
                          Raf had one this season, a long hooded zip thing that was really interesting, almost "tyvek" like.

There was also another brand that I saw in this new little underground shop (same street as Reborn but more west, if anyone remembers the name, mainly streetwear) that was selling the same material. They were selling it as a new material that would "age" etc etc to your wearing patterns (kind of like denim) and would eventually become almost see-through or something to that end.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="nairb49"]Add me to the list of new devotees.

About the paper, I've seen a couple labels coming out with this material.
                            Raf had one this season, a long hooded zip thing that was really interesting, almost "tyvek" like.

There was also another brand that I saw in this new little underground shop (same street as Reborn but more west, if anyone remembers the name, mainly streetwear) that was selling the same material. They were selling it as a new material that would "age" etc etc to your wearing patterns (kind of like denim) and would eventually become almost see-through or something to that end.

[/quote]

Junya Watanabe did a punk coat for women in paper in SS06 - it was crazy. I really wanted to try to rip it, but I was scared. I think it was Tyvek type... well, it better have been, what if some idiot would try and see if it rips? then you'd have an expensive coat ruined.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nairb49
                              • Dec 2006

Hahah, that would have been great. 1000 coat gone in one fell twist of the wrist.

The coat I saw in this little shop appeared to have been treated in some way so that it was water-resistant, a bit like those tarpaulins used to cover pools, but much thinner and delicate.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

I think I saw an Issey Miyake "paper" poncho/jacket type thing at the MoMA store about a year ago.... for the most part I think these paper items are definitely made out of a tyvek type paper. Paper in the sense that it's a cotton thread or wood fiber that is not woven but sealed together.

I've tried ripping tyvek and my god, it's essentially impossible unless you make a little cut in it. And then, it's still really really hard.

Of course that Jil Sander piece (or was it a Raf main line piece?) that Barneys is carrying this season done in tyvek just plain sucks hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎