PDA

View Full Version : The one that got away...

casem
10-05-2006, 07:49 PM
OK, so I should be more of a Buddhist and detatch myself from material things, but damnit I still think about how I didn&#39;t buy this or that years ago. So maybe it will be better if we can all sulk, so what do you regret not getting from seasons past? I know it&#39;s stupid because there are always nice new things to lust after, but here are the ones I can&#39;t forget:</p>

- In a Neiman outlet in Michigan, I came across a STACK of those super distressed black Dior jeans from Follow Me. I didn&#39;t even try them on! At the time I wasn&#39;t really looking for jeans so I passed them right up, doh!</p>

- Saks outlet in Mich. (i don&#39;t live there) there was a black w/ silver lurex Dior blazer, on clearence for $200. This one I thought about for a good while but still passed it up. It was IT 48 so it didn&#39;t fit me perfectly (I wear IT 46) so I didn&#39;t get it. I thought if I&#39;m going to buy Dior, it better fit like a glove. I will never find a dior blazer that cheap and minor alterations could have made it perfect.</p>

-Saks outlet in florida, they had a bunch of Helmut Lang button ups on clearance for about $50 each. Luckily I did buy 2, but they have become my favorite shirts so I wish I would have bought every single one in my size.</p>

The awful thing is, I have plenty of crap that I brought home from outlets cause it was such a deal, but when I really good deal was staring me in the face, I didn&#39;t take it up. OK, I&#39;m moving on now...</p>

xcoldricex
10-06-2006, 08:07 AM
what there&#39;s stuff in michigan?! i need to shop more. haha.</p>

</p>

Faust
10-06-2006, 09:23 AM
OK, so I should be more of a Buddhist and detatch myself from material things, but damnit I still think about how I didn&#39;t buy this or that years ago. So maybe it will be better if we can all sulk, so what do you regret not getting from seasons past? I know it&#39;s stupid because there are always nice new things to lust after, but here are the ones I can&#39;t forget:</p>

- In a Neiman outlet in Michigan, I came across a STACK of those super distressed black Dior jeans from Follow Me. I didn&#39;t even try them on! At the time I wasn&#39;t really looking for jeans so I passed them right up, doh!</p>

- Saks outlet in Mich. (i don&#39;t live there) there was a black w/ silver lurex Dior blazer, on clearence for $200. This one I thought about for a good while but still passed it up. It was IT 48 so it didn&#39;t fit me perfectly (I wear IT 46) so I didn&#39;t get it. I thought if I&#39;m going to buy Dior, it better fit like a glove. I will never find a dior blazer that cheap and minor alterations could have made it perfect.</p>

-Saks outlet in florida, they had a bunch of Helmut Lang button ups on clearance for about $50 each. Luckily I did buy 2, but they have become my favorite shirts so I wish I would have bought every single one in my size.</p>

The awful thing is, I have plenty of crap that I brought home from outlets cause it was such a deal, but when I really good deal was staring me in the face, I didn&#39;t take it up. OK, I&#39;m moving on now...</p>

</p>

Oh, man, you could&#39;ve made a fortune off of those jeans and by yourself whatever you wanted!</p>

</p>

Honestly, I don&#39;t have anything that was so overwhelmingly there that I passed up. A ton of stuff from Luster, but that&#39;s only it was all too long and there was no way of altering it. I guess I am pretty easy-going about these things. There were rather a few items for which I overpaid in order for them not to get away. This Ann Dem long/sleeve tshirt with silk-printed horse and one black/one white sleeve was $300, but I bit the bullet. As far as being a Buddhist, as long as your regret is not really hurting, but is just more of a wistful feeling, it&#39;s Ok. :-)
</p>

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7781/1569/1600/AnnDFW04M-7.jpg</p>

darkanimal
10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
My most recent one is from Cloak SS06, the Ash Denim Jacket. I was a few days late from the last day of sale. I actually hunted them and even found them in Yahoo Japan! I know it&#39;s ridiculous to buy something Cloak outside America, but when you&#39;re ready for something you are. I abandoned the obsession at the very last minute. I had to convince myself this is the first step to consume simple things, and that I triumphed.... hah who am I kidding? [:P]

xcoldricex
10-06-2006, 01:48 PM
carol christian poell overlock (1st season) blazer. have been looking for it since i saw it at A. the one at A was cotton though, and i heard there was a better wool version. I could&#39;ve afforded the cotton one at the time but I was not &quot;initiatied&quot; to spending large amounts of money on one piece. so i passed it up... still looking...

Faust
10-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Come to think of it, I remembr one item. It was a CDiem black
leather shirt on Ebay. It was between that or a pair of Ann Dem
boots, and looking back I think that I made the wrong choice.

casem
10-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Yea, there is stuff in Michigan. I go to the detroit area occasionally cause it&#39;s only a few hours away and there are some good outlet malls in a short distance plus the upscale Somerset mall. I went again recently and none of the outlets had anything, so disapointing, it seems like outlets are only good the first time around. I used to outlet shop a lot because I couldn&#39;t fathom paying full designer prices. But now I&#39;ve worked my way into paying full price, which is OK because I buy less but get exactly what I want.<div>Anyway, this whole regret thing is part of how fashion really gets you. You know that after the season is done it&#39;s unlikely you will ever find certain pieces again, which can cause you to make at times irrational decisions. Oh well, the constant renewal is also part of the fun!</div>

dontbecruel
10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
I mentioned this in the classifieds forum as a want-to-buy, but I&#39;m going to repeat it here on this thread dedicated to lost loves. Perhaps someone can put me out of my misery...</p>

Last
winter (AW05/06) Yohji sold some really interesting knits. They were a
tube shape, kind of like a woman&#39;s boob tube, with no sleeves and no
neck, the same width at both ends.
There were versions of this
design in both the mainline and the Y&#39;s collections. It sounds strange
I know but it looked great worn with a shirt with rolled-up sleeves
underneath. It came in plain navy, black and in a couple of jacquard-type designs. Most (maybe all) of them have hand-wamer
pockets in the front.</p>I persuaded myself when I was in Tokyo last
Christmas that I didn&#39;t really need something so inpractical. I&#39;ve
regretted it ever since. I&#39;m sure not many people will have bought such
an eccentric design, so there must be loads of them somewhere on this planet, waiting for someone to love them!

</p>

darkanimal
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
When this happens, I try to purchase two equally great pieces, then I stop whining.

dontbecruel
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
If only I had your self control. [;)]

dontbecruel
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Miss of the century... 9 Y&#39;s For Men wool suits, brand new in their suit bags went as a job lot for &pound;195 (yup, that&#39;s less than $400 for 9 brand new Yamamoto suits) this morning while I didn&#39;t have access to the internet. How could I have let this happen?

xcoldricex
10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
holy crap. that&#39;s insane. i&#39;m sorry.

Faust
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm a dumbass, I just let a pair of NDC shoes go to someone else for $100. I usually snipe on Ebay, but I was just going to bid, and then I got busy with something else. Ooops...

laika
11-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I mentioned this in the classifieds forum as a want-to-buy, but I'm going to repeat it here on this thread dedicated to lost loves. Perhaps someone can put me out of my misery...</p>

Last
winter (AW05/06) Yohji sold some really interesting knits. They were a
tube shape, kind of like a woman's boob tube, with no sleeves and no
neck, the same width at both ends.
There were versions of this
design in both the mainline and the Y's collections. It sounds strange
I know but it looked great worn with a shirt with rolled-up sleeves
underneath. It came in plain navy, black and in a couple of jacquard-type designs. Most (maybe all) of them have hand-wamer
pockets in the front.</p>I persuaded myself when I was in Tokyo last
Christmas that I didn't really need something so inpractical. I've
regretted it ever since. I'm sure not many people will have bought such
an eccentric design, so there must be loads of them somewhere on this planet, waiting for someone to love them!

</p>

</p>

</p>

Was it anything like this?</p>

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8655/yssweaterkk1.jpg</p>

dontbecruel
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
No, it was literally just a knit tube with fat seams at either end. But I love this thing too and have already been hunting for it since seeing it on the tfs thread. Not in the Antwerp Yohji megastore or London boutique, unfortunately. Let me know if you come across it in NY.
</p>

Thanks for thinking of me anyway.</p>

laika
11-30-2007, 08:13 PM
ah, ok, I didn't realize you saw that thread. I figured it wasn't identical, but I thought the concept was similar. </p>

I'll check at IF when I go next week...I didn't see it at the Yohji store. </p>

mass
11-30-2007, 08:25 PM
still have not recovered from missing out on paolo roversi's 'studio'.

http://www.paoloroversi.com/images/books/studio.jpg

ionn26
12-01-2007, 01:30 AM
My biggest regret was Dior Homme VotC ripped wax jeans... I had two pairs all were on sale... and sold out...</p>

Now.. I am never the same again... a part of my soul is missing.. </p>

Faust
12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
ah, ok, I didn't realize you saw that thread. I figured it wasn't identical, but I thought the concept was similar. </p>

I'll check at IF when Faust and I go next week...I didn't see it at the Yohji store. </p>

</p>

Fixed your typo [51]</p>

laika
12-01-2007, 12:29 PM
^Naturally. [73] [51]

Buckwheat
12-01-2007, 06:14 PM
No, it was literally just a knit tube with fat seams at either end. But I love this thing too and have already been hunting for it since seeing it on the tfs thread. Not in the Antwerp Yohji megastore or London boutique, unfortunately. Let me know if you come across it in NY.
</P>

Thanks for thinking of me anyway.</P>

</P>

DBC - I think you are talking about these? from Y's F/W 2006...</P>

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5936/ys067m9891df8.jpg </P>

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/724/ys082m10369ut6.jpg</P>

dontbecruel
12-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Exactly buckwheat. Never managed to find a pic so thanks! Let me know if you ever see one for sale. By the way are you sure these pics are AW 06/07? I think they are 05/06.

dontbecruel
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Oh yeah that's right: the jacquard ones came from the mainline and the plain ones with pockets were Y's. The designs looked pretty identical on me though, although the pics are styled very differently.

Faust
04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
It's a sad day. Got outbid on the holy grail [:(]

mortalveneer
04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
</p>

I SO hear you...the rear lace-up Carpes I'd been drooling over got bid out of my car-repair/camera-saving price limit last night. Feeling pretty sour about it this morning...[71]</p>

theetruscan
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
</p>

I SO hear you...the rear lace-up Carpes I'd been drooling over got bid out of my car-repair/camera-saving price limit last night. Feeling pretty sour about it this morning...[71]</p>

</p>

You were bidding against DHC methinks.</p>

Chinorlz
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh no Faust!!!!!!!!!</P>

Don't worry my man, it'll come around again! They always do.</P>

Faust
04-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks man!

Uncontrol
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
http://img195.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/3/6/0/katsuhiko912-img420x315-1201040973120.jpg</p>

http://img195.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/3/6/0/katsuhiko912-img422x358-1201040980121.jpg</p>

I was being cheap and didn't use the buyout of 12000 yen. I thought I could win them without it. I was wrong. :(</p>

(Don't judge me!)
</p>

DHC
04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
</p>

</p>

Honestly, I decided not to bid when I heard of the condition they were in. So take solace in the fact that you have been spared from a potentially disappointing purchase.
</p>

Faust
04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
it's a worthy holy grail, NDF. The construction and the fabric quality is really something. I'd throw down, but looks like coldrice and I are the same size, and then he wouldn't be selling it .

matthewhk
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty mellow about clothes these days, and living in a place where the weather doesn't allow much room for experimentation or versatility in fabrics/layers that could be worn, i've come to terms with the fact that a lot of the more directional pieces I admire in collections will get no wear if I bought them. But to this day I'm still a bit regretful that I did not get the YY S/S 05 mixed fabric (it was acrylic/cotton and some other stuff) black knit with an ambiguous print of a voluptuous pinup. The times where Yohji has used pin ups on prints in his clothes have often been very overt and in your face, but this particular piece was quite tasteful and subtle I think.

bakla
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
CCP turtleneck knit poncho. It looked amazing on, and my SA held it specifically for me, but back in 2001, a grand was a ton of money for a sweater. I think I should submit that up to Holy Grail status...

Yan
04-08-2008, 01:28 PM
A black Yohji Yamamoto black corugated jacket from Richard Creme. I was procrastinating as usual then was informed that Morrissey had bought it!!!!

philip nod
04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
heard this one before, but stop me if you think you've

matthewhk
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
both the lins jacket and the hockeye boots were the perfect size..the lins is pure gold..im a sucker for complex attention to detail...the trimming with the topstitched nappa leather is something that i drool over...that piece is a mission to construct..i wonder how they do it..if u look closer the darting also has the nappa trims..and its a little cofusing. i cant stop going on about that piece...oh well... im sure jude will by it..

</p>

and now chris is selling his junya red biker jacket</p>

</p>

somebody give me a gun! argh!!!!!
</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

speaking of Junya, i regret not buying some form of outerwear from the Taxi Driver collection (namely the army surplus inspired blazers). That was my favorite menswear collection of his by far.</p>

Faust
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
both the lins jacket and the hockeye boots were the perfect size..the lins is pure gold..im a sucker for complex attention to detail...the trimming with the topstitched nappa leather is something that i drool over...that piece is a mission to construct..i wonder how they do it..if u look closer the darting also has the nappa trims..and its a little cofusing. i cant stop going on about that piece...oh well... im sure jude will by it..

</p>

and now chris is selling his junya red biker jacket</p>

</p>

somebody give me a gun! argh!!!!!
</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

speaking of Junya, i regret not buying some form of outerwear from the Taxi Driver collection (namely the army surplus inspired blazers). That was my favorite menswear collection of his by far.</p>

</p>

we can remedy that (http://cgi.ebay.com/JUNYA-WATANABE-Comme-des-Garcons-MAN-jacket-M_W0QQitemZ110238805512QQihZ001QQcategoryZ15677QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) I'd imagine you need a Large though...
</p>

matthewhk
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
cool jacket, but nowadays i'm very hesitant of buying things I have not tried on. I might love a piece and think it would work for me, but when I try it on it becomes a different story. In the past few months I've really narrowed down the focus of stuff I will pay attention to from a consumer standpoint as I have a better understanding of what does and doesn't work for me.

xcoldricex
04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
there were fakes? of those floating around (i think) from korea?? i remember inquiring about the same piece... then that seller happened to have 3-4 more.

not really sure though.</p>

</p>

i was planning on picking up some of that junya collection - i was surprised that joyce sold a lot of it that year, only a handful of mens stuff was left that was all too big for me. :(</p>

Faust
04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
yea, those were fakes, this one looks legit. enter at your own risk, of course.

matthewhk
04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
yeah Junya stuff moves better than the CDG H+ stuff in Hong Kong I think....when i was at Comme yesterday i asked about the Junya selection and it was all wiped out with the exception of a few tees.

mortalveneer
04-08-2008, 04:22 PM
</p>

</p>

Honestly, I decided not to bid when I heard of the condition they were in. So take solace in the fact that you have been spared from a potentially disappointing purchase.
</p>

</p>

</p>

Phew...so glad to hear that. The seller put the BIN at 999 (according to an early inquiry), but I'm certainly relieved I didn't win the auction. Maybe I'll put to surplus towards those oil-finished denim on sartorialoft that I've been eyeing for a few weeks...[66]</p>

xcoldricex
04-08-2008, 04:42 PM
yea, those were fakes, this one looks legit. enter at your own risk, of course.
</p>

i'll keep my eye on it. </p>

Chinorlz
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
</P>

I SO hear you...the rear lace-up Carpes I'd been drooling over got bid out of my car-repair/camera-saving price limit last night. Feeling pretty sour about it this morning...[71]</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

Phew...so glad to hear that. The seller put the BIN at 999 (according to an early inquiry), but I'm certainly relieved I didn't win the auction. Maybe I'll put to surplus towards those oil-finished denim on sartorialoft that I've been eyeing for a few weeks...[66]</P>

</P>

yeeaaaaah!</P>

I better not see you in RSG for those. Just cop.</P>

dji
04-11-2008, 05:14 AM
shouldn't have sat on my hands about that gustavo lins coat......

xcoldricex
04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
indeeeeed.

philip nod
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
let me see, she was a brunette w a boys name, 5'10, perfect body, stunning face, former model, quirky personality, actress in a Kubrick film, almost bought a house together, but it only lasted six months, devastated me for years, now she wants to be friends but i'm afraid, because that girl is poison to me.

kira
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
stay away from poison.

philip nod
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
best lesson i ever learned in life :)

Faust
04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
let me see, she was a brunette w a boys name, 5'10, perfect body, stunning face, former model, quirky personality, actress in a Kubrick film, almost bought a house together, but it only lasted six months, devastated me for years, now she wants to be friends but i'm afraid, because that girl is poison to me.
</p>

Stay the fuck away. BTDT. Leave. Now. Need a shoulder to cry on? I'll meet you tomorrow night. JUST DON'T DO IT. Remember what the wise man sang, "But a man's never got a woman back, not by begging on his knees..." Friendship puts you close to this position.
</p>

xcoldricex
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
</p>

</p>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdF2zqs1bxQ" mce_href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdF2zqs1bxQ">
That girl is poison

Never trust a big butt and smile </a>

</p>

kira
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
</p>

Stay the fuck away. BTDT. Leave. Now. Need a shoulder to cry on? I'll meet you tomorrow night. JUST DON'T DO IT. Remember what the wise man sang, "But a man's never got a woman back, not by begging on his knees..." Friendship puts you close to this position.
</p>

</p>

Listen to Faust. Stay the fuck away. A toxic person stays with you for a very long time and it takes forever
to cleanse them from your system but once you do, it is highly freeing. It takes a really long time to have a friendship with someone like that, if ever. I know this. Besides if you have to say I'm afraid, that says everything right there.
</p>

philip nod
04-11-2008, 02:14 PM
just reading her emails again, freaked me out...but the funny thing is she's dating a girl now...at least she didn't marry the guy she stabbed me in the heart for. </p>

rice, fix yo link</p>

xcoldricex
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
just reading her emails again, freaked me out...but the funny thing is she's dating a girl now...at least she didn't marry the guy she stabbed me in the heart for. </p>

rice, fix yo link</p>

</p>

</p>

fixed. now get down to some BBD</p>

kira
04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I used to totally be able to dance like that (maybe still can...), and I wanted to be a fly girl. [86] i love it.

xcoldricex
04-11-2008, 02:22 PM
i definitely still can! ;)

philip nod
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
so happy you put that up, i was already singing it. the early nineties, just an amazing time

Faust
04-11-2008, 03:52 PM

rice, fix yo link</p>

</p>

Ok, I take back everything I said [Y]</p>

philip nod
04-12-2008, 04:39 AM
i know that's why i felt i could talk to her again, because its so next level. literally.

random
04-12-2008, 04:57 AM
i guess personal relationship is too hard for RSG to deal with. Its like, drug addiction sometimes?</P>

EDIT: just realized this is not the RSG thread........</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>