X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

"The T-Shirt"

Can one have too many t-shirts? It would seem that the answer is no. The question is, how many of them are worth wearing? I think we can all agree that most of what is to be had is, generally, very bad and painfully trendy. And yet, myself living in a rather warm environment, find myself wearing one perhaps nearly every day, and like to break up my solids sometimes with graphic shirts, which is often difficult, being a criminal lack of interesting ones available easily. So, I thought it fitting that there be a thread on perhaps the most common of clothing items, if only to die an unused and forgotten death. At the moment, extremely graphic and oversized black and white prints look great to me, so a few (terrible) photos of the few that I could just recall off the top of my head:

Nom de Guerre

Hopefully this is the right sub-forum for this, as it's not exactly Designer, or anything else for that manner. I've seen some other nice t-shirts in a similiar vein from Helmut Lang and Patrick Ervell.

(Excuse the horrible and recycled images, I haven't the time to find better ones at the moment, so I just used the ones I already had bookmarked! Hopefully someone else will have some to contribute.)
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: "The T-Shirt"

Servo- I hear you on the tees, living in SoCal I wear a tee pretty much every day. AA is a big part of my tees but like you, I like to switch it up with graphic tees sometimes. I own two NDG tees (the logo and Basquiat), I like some of the Rogues Gallery tees, Corpus has some nice ones, and I have been screening my own lately. I've been on a "pictures on tees" kinda kick lately as well, those by NDG are really cool looking.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Servo- I hear you on the tees, living in SoCal I wear a tee pretty much every day. AA is a big part of my tees but like you, I like to switch it up with graphic tees sometimes. I own two NDG tees (the logo and Basquiat), I like some of the Rogues Gallery tees, Corpus has some nice ones, and I have been screening my own lately. I've been on a "pictures on tees" kinda kick lately as well, those by NDG are really cool looking.[/quote]

I live in So Cal as well, so I hear you hearing me. Did you pick up your NdG when you were in New York, or did you ship it from Blackbird or somewhere like that? I love the shirts, but $88 or whatever the going price is for most of NdG's picture shirts is still a lot for a shirt for me. Take some pictures of yours, if you can, either way.

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

Yea, I ordered from Blackbird, those guys have awesome customer service and shipping takes 3 days! Should have the photo Basquiat shirt tomorrow, so I'll take some pics tomorrow night.
        I would agree about the price though. They do fit well but they are still just a tee, but they got me with the photo series. And them having Basquiat just made it all that much more sweet for me. Now Rogues Gallery for 66-80, no thanks. They always go on sale so I wait for that to go down. Servo, I should have some tees pretty soon though that I am having printed. A few photo inspired ones, on AA tees. I'll post some pics when I get those as well.

Comment

• CHRIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2006

im very picky when it comes to t-shirts. the sleeves have to be the right length, the sides have to be narrow, but not too narrow, and the body must be longer than 27 inches. oh, and i dont usually care much for crew necks. in the summer, i pretty much live in tank tops, henleys,v-necks, and u-necks (although i dont own very many). ill wear the occasional crew neck if it doesnt come up too high, or if it is cut well. having said all of that, i own alot of american apparel tanks/tees. and ive found that tsubi t-shirts are cut favorably well. they're very long (usually over 28 inches), and they drape perfectly.

there was a fabulous rick owens t-shirt on ebay that i lost by like, $10 a month or so ago. it was sort of sheer, with a mild u-neck, and it was like, 29" long. but i doubt you'll see many of those popping up any time soon. anyways, arent you like, 6'3 or something, servo? i think you should definitely try tsubi.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Chris-I like mine to be long as well (being 6'3"myself). I hate it with some shirts you go to make a movement and you show midrift, haha. I'll have to check out those tsubi tees. V-necks are a big staple for me as well as tanks, great for when it's 80-90 out.

Comment

• deuxmille
              • Nov 2006

Personnally, I like acne tee shirts the most.

Comment

• darkanimal
                • Sep 2006

Tees are the coolest, I wear them everyday. I love the transitional SS season in NY. My collared ones/button downs are reserved for night outs. I'm getting rid of my collection little by little and just wearing no print black tees. Those that have print I wear them inside out. Ultimately I will just keep 10 tees or less. Part of a grand plan to cover my body in ink.

Comment

• djrajio
                  • Sep 2006

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Wayne of SuperFuture a while back and he told me all he has like 50 Helmut Lang plain t-shirts and thats all he wears. It was really inspirational to see a guy with so much style pull it off so effortlessly without the need for logos and branding. Ideally I want to subscribe to a similar aesthetic but alias I'm a sucker for good graphic design...

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                    • Nov 2006

I have a favorite tee, I picked it up from A.P.C. last summer; its thin pocket shirt, were the pocket is a different material then the rest of the shirt, it also has that thin european colar, and its oh soo thin. I loved it so much, I went back and bought one in each color. It is my basic layer to most outfits, and is worn at least twice a week. Just wish I could buy more, damn seasonal fashion.

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

[quote user="CHRIS"]

... anyways, arent you like, 6'3 or something, servo? ...

[/quote]

I wish. Think more along the lines of 5'7 and awfully skinny, which makes it harder than you might think to find shirts that fit. A lot of the relatively more "fashion forward" brands end up being too long when they fit right otherwise, and the length is just right when they're skin-tight and don't drape at all and look questionable at best. I think it's just a trick of trying enough brands to eventually find one that cuts just right for you (and then buy like twenty of them), and currently, I'm still hunting.

Either that, or finally bite the bullet and pick up a pair of DH jeans so I can wear them lower on my hips, so longer shirts look more proportional.

Comment

• Amethyst
                        • Jan 2007

[quote user="Servo2000"]I wish. Think more along the lines of 5'7 and awfully skinny, which makes it harder than you might think to find shirts that fit. A lot of the relatively more "fashion forward" brands end up being too long when they fit right otherwise, and the length is just right when they're skin-tight and don't drape at all and look questionable at best. I think it's just a trick of trying enough brands to eventually find one that cuts just right for you (and then buy like twenty of them), and currently, I'm still hunting.

Either that, or finally bite the bullet and pick up a pair of DH jeans so I can wear them lower on my hips, so longer shirts look more proportional.[/quote]

I've almost the same physique and it seems practically impossible to get a shirt that fits well enough - usually problems with the length (too long).

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

Here's a pic of the Basquiat tee. The tee is nice, but with most photo tees it does have very thick parts and some over run on certain parts of the shirt.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Amethyst"][quote user="Servo2000"]I wish. Think more along the lines of 5'7 and awfully skinny, which makes it harder than you might think to find shirts that fit. A lot of the relatively more "fashion forward" brands end up being too long when they fit right otherwise, and the length is just right when they're skin-tight and don't drape at all and look questionable at best. I think it's just a trick of trying enough brands to eventually find one that cuts just right for you (and then buy like twenty of them), and currently, I'm still hunting.

Either that, or finally bite the bullet and pick up a pair of DH jeans so I can wear them lower on my hips, so longer shirts look more proportional.[/quote]

I've almost the same physique and it seems practically impossible to get a shirt that fits well enough - usually problems with the length (too long).

[/quote]

Last season's Wings&Horn were an excellent fit, short and somewhat drapey but still slim fitted. I think it's the only season they made them that way as they were trying a different cut.

Lad musician (size 44 or even 46) fits me about the same way.

Those two brands are definitely not recommended if you're a tall, slim guy as they'll be too short imho.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

I really like Rogue's Gallery tees. They're supersoft and fit me nicely (6' 0"). The silkscreen designs on them are hit or miss but a good one is worth the money and the colors they come in are nice.

I've been strongly recommended to get Uniqlo tees instead of AA ones. 1/4th the price and the fit is supposed to be nice!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎