X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Shopping Habits

Inspired by Fuuma. I'm curious as to what sort of things need to come together for you to finally bite the bullet on a piece.

Personally, I'm a laborious, bargain-shopping obsessive, which makes buying pieces so absurdly difficult. When I find a piece I like, I have to think about it in all of it's contexts: how it appears, how it will appear to others, what the designer thinks, how it will balance with the rest of my clothing, how I can incorporate it into my wardrobe, etc... I get wrapped up in the philosophy behind garments as well, and often won't purchase them if the designer's ideals are different than mine, aesthetically or otherwise. If a collection turns me off, it makes it more difficult for me to be interested in picking up a particular piece, for instance. I'm also an insatiable bargain-shopper; I'll pass on low-to-mid-tier priced pieces just because I bet I can get them for even $10 cheaper if I just keep waiting, even if they're already marked 50%. My real problem is that sometimes I get so fed-up on being so slow to acquire pieces that I just end up buying something against my better judgement just for the sake of buying something, which is probably where some of my worst pieces come from. (luckily nothing too expensive). Ultimately, it's slow, but for some reason when I do finally pick up a piece there's an additional appreciation for the garment that I don't think would be there if I had $10,000 to spend on any clothes I want, as opposed to the perhaps 1/10 of that that I manage to put aside for an entire year of pieces.

Maybe I'm the only one who finds this sort of thing interesting, but well, there's me.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Shopping Habits

Usually during the Fall/Winter is when I do most of my spending on clothing. The way I usually spend is I if I like the piece and can't see living without it in my wardrobe, I will usually buy it. But of course all the while thinking about how it will fit in my wardrobe, what the cost is, fabric, construction, etc. During Sale time is usually when I tend to make impulse buys because it is hard for me to pass up a good deal,especially on something I like.
    I will admit though, after going through this years Sale season, I will most likely wait a tad bit longer when buying items because I was able to get some fantastic pieces on sale! I also purchased some good buys still at retail but I always hate seeing the same item I bought at retail now on sale. Argh.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• CHRIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2006

1. i see something.
      2. i like it.
      3. i walk away. (or, in most cases, i click out of the screen)
      4. i cant stop thinking about it.
      5. i buy it.

OR

1. i see something.
      2. i like it.
      3. i forget about it.
      4. it goes on sale.
      5. i buy it.

Comment

• deuxmille
        • Nov 2006

I used to be like you Servo. I wouldn't buy anything because of the price or because I wouldn't be sure, but then I'd buy the weirdest pieces for some unknown reason.

My habbits have changed a lot recently. I'm totally impulsive, but still responsible and more aware of what kind of things I want. So far, I haven't made one purchase that I've regreted that way so I guess it works for me. I think most of this is because I've moved to a city with much more variety which has greatly affected my critical sense and narrowed down my preferences. I also am the laziest person when it comes to getting deals and waiting for sales... I've even missed out on special discounts from friends because of that. meh.

Comment

• mia
          • Dec 2006

same as chris except take out steps 3 & 4 in both

im trying to fight my impulse buying habit

the last thing i purchased was my n(n) boots and they dont even fit me. i thought about them for 5 mins then remembered im moving to a colder climate and can wear thicker socks. since then (though i havent seen anything i really like) ive been doing a quick no i have to work X hours to pay for that...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I'm a definitely like Servo in terms of thinking about who's behind the garment. I don't give a shit if it makes me look elitist, and I don't even give a shit if I pass on good quality items from Gucci - fuck them (and more money in my pocket).

Also, having a circle of designers that I trust dramatically decreases my shopping time, which gives me time to do much better things (like reading books or playing with my daughter). For example, imagine if I had to sift through all the shit on Yoox? Instead I just click on a handful of desingers and I'm done. If I miss something, so be it.

As far as bargain hunting, that's a given to anyone who wants designer clothes and is not rich.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
              • Sep 2006

i guess i'm a lazy shopper in that i only shop when i need something or am looking for something specific. i guess some of you may call that 'smart' but i am much more synonymous with lazy than i am with smart. also because of this i have passed up a lot of good deals (esp. on yoox). i guess i am just like that in general, and also because i've always wanted to minimize the amount of things i own (not just clothes). i'm just boring.

but also like faust i have a certain number of brands i look towards, and also care about who's behind the garment. as peter saville says, "do you want to help buy miuccia prada's next house in Sardinia?"

Comment

• darkanimal
                • Sep 2006

Like Chris'

my steps:

3)I forget about it and read a book

4)I'm on the same page for half an hour because I can't focus...my
                mind is on that boots, I can't understand what I'm reading

Comment

• justine
                  • Jan 2007

There's some variations but most of the time:

1. I see it

2. I like it

3. I go for a walk to decide

4. goto 1 until it's gone

:)

Comment