X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Toronto shopping

Will be in TO next weekend. Is there anything of note in the city shopping wise? I read about a store called Noir that sounded interesting, but apparently has closed down. Supposedly some of the Noir people may have opened a new store? Does anyone know? I looked on tFS but there's too many diverse suggestions, I was hoping I would get a more SZ geared answer here. Interested in mainly stuff I can't see too much of in LA: Julius, Ann D., Comme, Poell, etc. Also I heard that there is a good second hand clothing scene in Toronto, anyone know if any of the vintage stores sell high end labels?

• sinnah
    • Feb 2007

Re: Toronto shopping

Shopping wise, Toronto is kinda dry. Noir should still be open (it was i-cii I think that closed down and then noir opened from that). They carry n(n), undercover, vivienne westwood... not sure of what else... last time I went in prices were too crazy to justify buying anything from there.

In terms of SZ brands...

TNT blu sells CDG, margiela, the new helmut lang... then a lot of other more common stuff like opening ceremony, april 77, apc... list goes on

Nomad sells CDG accessories, margiela... then brands like Nom de Guerre, Supreme, Corpus, Wings & Horns...

Holt Renfrew of course, has stuff too but at ridiculous prices... dior, raf, margiela, mcqueen, dries... nothing crazy like poell/carpe/ann d...

Sydneys is cool if you want brands like Band of Outsiders, Patrick Ervell, Opening Ceremony... but again.. nothing crazy

All the vintage thrift stores I frequent lie in one block in kensington market... second hand stores I wouldnt know about...

Hope this helps somewhat... Toronto basically sucks for niche SZ brands, I'm practically forced to buy everything online [61]

Comment

• deleuze
      • Jul 2007

TNT blu also carries Marsell shoes. I think that's about as crazy as it gets for men's wear in Toronto. 119 Corbocarries Ann D. and Rick Owens women's wear.

Comment

• Trendy Andy
        • Jun 2007

I just left Toronto not too long ago and I am from Los Angeles. Currently, I'm in South Beach Miami. Noir is still open. They are across the street from the Gucci store on Bloor St. They carry mostly Yohji, Westwood, D&G, Dior Homme, and other stuff you can get in LA. They do not have Poell, Rick Owens, Carpe Diem, or Julius. They don't have it anywhere in Toronto, as far as I can recollect.

After finding out that they don't have what I usually look for, I decided to hit up some of the boutique stores that carry Canadian or local designers in Toronto. Most of the boutique shoppes are in the fashion district/art district on Queens St., but starting from Spadina going west bound (the streets are perpendicular to each other). I can give you a list of the shops to hit up if you like. Let me know and I'll dump the list on this thread.

On Yorkville, there are some urban designer clothing stores, similar to the store Union on La Cienaga. I posted about this on another thread that non Canadian resident (that means us) no longer have a tax exemption unless a "single purchase" is made above $650.00. Otherwise, expect to pay the 13%. You've been warned lol.[57]

-andy

Comment

• Trendy Andy
          • Jun 2007

Holt Renfrew has a fairly large selection of Dsquared, Kris Van Assche, and John Varvatos.

TNT Blu (Kensington market, perpendicular street to Yorkille) carries Corpus, Phillip Lim, some Uppercut (Vancouver designer), and Wings & Horns. When you leave Kensington market, go to Anti-Hero boutique, and George C. The mens line is below the basement floor and the stores look like mid century contemporary single family homes.

-andy

Comment

• boxma
            • Feb 2007

TNT Blu is in Hazelton Lane, not Kennington Market. Actually the owners of TNT have several shops in the same shopping arcade. TNT Blu in the basement of Hazelton Lane has Cdg, a very limited collection of marsell shoes. TNT on the street level has Rick Owens womens., but almost all the RO were sold out. Marc Laurent has neil barrett, jil sander, a little bit of Margiela.

Across the street, you can find Geroge C, George was one of the owners of Corbo before, how he has a different partner. For menswear, you can find Costume national, Y3, neil barrett, a little bit of antonno marras. For shoes, they have officine creative, roco p. Y3, costume national, dsquared. It's 50% off right now.

Noir is still there. After Peter and Mary closed down Icii, they start working with the owner of 83 Bloor and open Noir. Noir womenswear is very nice, but the saleswomen work there is the [:$] Noir has Raf smions, yohji, Dolce and Gabbana, Viktor and Rolf, Vivienne Westwood. Noir also has Dior Homme this winter. Other japanese desigeners like n(n), UC, Viridi-anne..... are gone [:'(]

Comment

• ahk1979
              • Mar 2007

yep, toronto sucks for shopping right now!

delphic on queen st w- carries acne, julian red, henrik vibskov, pudel and some other ok stuff.

Comment

• sinnah
                • Feb 2007

boxma,
                would you know what the sale prices are like at noir?

i havent been there in ages and would like to know if its worth a visit.

Comment

• boxma
                  • Feb 2007

Noir... it's still 50% off, actually it's been doing 50% off a couple of weeks already. I was there last week, and there werea couple of raf simons short sleelves, several yohji suspender shirts, sz 3 or sz 4, a pair ofyohji mules, same as the one selling in Atelier but in matte silver. Several Raf Simonbs blazers, dress pants, a windbreaker still $1600.

Comment

• ahk1979
                    • Mar 2007

imo the buys that noir make are unbelievably bad! they pick the worst stuff from some good collections and endup with a very eurotrash vibe. i hope they do better for fall!

Comment

• sinnah
                      • Feb 2007

Thanks!

I guess I'll have to take a peek in this week.

Comment

• soultek
                        • Feb 2007

Thanks guys for all your help!

Any hotel recommendations too? Hotels seem pretty reasonable there..

If I think it's worth it, I'll type up a mini-report when I get back.

Comment

• soultek
                          • Feb 2007

[quote user="Trendy Andy"]

After finding out that they don't have what I usually look for, I decided to hit up some of the boutique stores that carry Canadian or local designers in Toronto. Most of the boutique shoppes are in the fashion district/art district on Queens St., but starting from Spadina going west bound (the streets are perpendicular to each other). I can give you a list of the shops to hit up if you like. Let me know and I'll dump the list on this thread.

[/quote]

Yeah, if you think there is stuff worth checking out at these stores, I'd be interested to see your list. I have a pretty broad range of taste when it comes to clothes, it would be interesting to see what local designers have come up with as I will probably not see this stuff back home.

Comment

• soultek
                            • Feb 2007

Toronto is a great city! My GF and I had a great time. Lots of good restaurants. Noir was pretty much the coolest store by SZ standards, they had some of the the Yohji + Noir collection on sale, (I tried my hardest to convince my GF to try on some stuff, but was unsuccessful). The men's stuff on sale wasn't too good, as someone had mentioned. They had F/W Dior and Yohji as well as some other stuff. I noticed they had the white versions of the Yohji lace up shoes that A had last season, they were pretty cool for anyone looking for a white leather laceup shoe w/ rounded toe.

Renfeld was pretty much Barney's but much more geared for women, everything was heavily discounted (GF got a MJ top for cheap). TNT was okay--reminded me of Rolo in San Francisco for some reason--they had a ton of Comme stuff on sale, even from past seasons. I almost bought a poly trench, but decided against it.

Oh, and there was great vintage shopping. My GF got a great 1960's dress for cheap. And, I picked up a a wierd experimental NYC record from the early 80s.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

• boxma
                              • Feb 2007

Soultek, TNT blu just started 70% off yesterday, somecdgitems are cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎