X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m.inya
    • Feb 2008

Tailoring knits

I have an older Helmut Lang commando sweater I picked up from Yoox a while back... it's a beautiful off-white color, made of wool, in a vertical ribbed knit. Problem is, the sleeves are a lot longer than I'd like, and due to the nature of the knit, the sleeves look absolutely awful if they bunch up. Does anyone know if I can have a sweater like this tailored to have the sleeves shortened? Any experience like this? Thanks for any info...
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Re: Tailoring knits

[quote user="m.inya"]I have an older Helmut Lang commando sweater I picked up from Yoox a while back... it's a beautiful off-white color, made of wool, in a vertical ribbed knit. Problem is, the sleeves are a lot longer than I'd like, and due to the nature of the knit, the sleeves look absolutely awful if they bunch up. Does anyone know if I can have a sweater like this tailored to have the sleeves shortened? Any experience like this? Thanks for any info...
    [/quote]

I know my old local tailor would shorten knits for not much money, they looked to do a good job. I suspect it is hit and miss so call around. As far as I know, though, most can only shorten from the end (not remake). New York also has some reweavers who may have more ability.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• awlouie
      • Sep 2007

Depending on how the shoulder is fashioned, your tailormightbe ableto shorten the sleeves from the shoulder seam (I've had it done to one of my sweaters). [75]
      "Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
      -Bruce Lee

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

if you can post a picture of the garment, especially a close up of the sleeves (and shoulder are) I may be able to tell you how to proceed
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• m.inya
          • Feb 2008

[quote user="zamb"]if you can post a picture of the garment, especially a close up of the sleeves (and shoulder are) I may be able to tell you how to proceed[/quote]Thanks for the info everyone! And I will post pics of the sweater tonight.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎