X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahlefeldt
    • May 2008

Maison Martin Margiela 20: The Exhibition

"When I went back to the maison to prepare this exhibition I went through the archives of 20 years work, “explains Verhelst. “It was a very emotional moment, reviewing all of the photos, letters, and notes we wrote each other. In the beginning there were so few of us and it was very close. Now the team in Paris consists of 71 people of 16 nationalities! But it has really kept the spirit of teamwork. It’s fascinating to see how the language has moved on but still is loyal to their philosophy from the past. For me the MMM is as fresh and revolutionary as it was then.”

The Maison echoes Verhelst’s sentiment: “It is probably that our visual language and design philosophy hasn’t changed much that makes us a true maverick of Fashion in a way. We know who we are and what we want to say. The means has evolved though, whether technically, financially, or human. But the way we perceive fashion and the reasons why we do this are the same and that’s what really matters.”

Verhelst conveys the essence of the label brilliantly with the exhibition, which is not organized chronologically but by groups of concepts and themes that are integral to the innovations of the house. One is able to wander freely throughout the different zones, which are divided by trompe-l’oeil walls that mimic the structure of the museum, and engage in the material in an open manner. Actual garments and accessories are shown alongside photos, objects, videos, and written supplements in a manner that elevates the exhibition beyond the category of retrospective."

There's more of the interview, buts it's too long to post check http://www.dazeddigital.com/view/Def...1150&PageNum=2 for the rest.
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎