• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

McQueen to Launch a line for Target

Why, god, why...

Target to Launch McQueen Line

Target to Launch McQueen Line
    by Sharon Edelson

Target in March will launch a new fashion initiative called Designer Collaborations. The program will bring the styles of well-established designers to the mass merchant at typical Target prices. Alexander McQueen is the first on deck and will design a version of his McQ collection called McQ Alexander McQueen for Target. The collection will have rock 'n' roll influences and edgy details such as studs and tattoo-print fabrics. Designer Initiative is a separate program from Target's Go International, which focuses on young or emerging designers. Target said additional Designer Collections will be announced in the future. Each collection will be available in stores for a limited time.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Magician
    • Jul 2008

My love-hate pendulum for McQueen is slowly starting to swing back towards hate. :/

Not infrequently he absolutely kills it, though. I guess this way more people will be impressed when they inquire what my shirt is and I say McQ.
    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

well it was only a matter of time.

personally, I have not found the McQ line to be very interesting and I will pass on this collab.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

/\ Gucci is killing him. But Lee seems to take things like that lightly, which is good.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gerry
          • Feb 2008

"The collection will have rock 'n' roll influences and edgy details such as studs and tattoo-print fabrics."

You just know it's going to be shite.

Also, I don't think McQueen actually produces the McQ line... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it that company in Singapore that does See by Chloe and all those other lines?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gerry View Post
            "The collection will have rock 'n' roll influences and edgy details such as studs and tattoo-print fabrics."

You just know it's going to be shite.

Also, I don't think McQueen actually produces the McQ line... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it that company in Singapore that does See by Chloe and all those other lines?
            OMGHI2EDHARDY!!!

I am not sure who manufactures McQ, actually...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• reborn
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              OMGHI2EDHARDY!!!

I am not sure who manufactures McQ, actually...
              I believe it's SINV, an Italian company.

Comment

• gerry
                • Feb 2008

Sorry! I meant to say design, not produce. And I don't know why I said See by Chloe? They do DKNY for Asia and I think Armani Exchange, too.
                Last edited by gerry; 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

oh man! tattoo prints!!!

I lurves!
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Magician
                    • Jul 2008

Whoever designs McQ, I end up liking it as much as the runway stuff a lot of the time. Are you sure it's not McQueen himself?
                    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• unujnha
                      • Sep 2008

i like mcqueen stuffs
                      i saw this dress shirt which looks like gun pockets attached to it
                      and it was prob best dress shirt i ever seen..wish i could afford it at that time
                      anyways
                      so it means ppl will be lining up in front of target?
                      "Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."

Comment

• gerry
                        • Feb 2008

I'm not sure at all – it's just something a Singaporean friend told me. At the time it made sense to me – while there are some nice McQ pieces, a lot of it has seemed focused on kitschy prints...

Comment

• gerry
                          • Feb 2008

McQueen on Target

by Sharon Edelson

Posted Tuesday November 18, 2008

For someone who protects his name and image as fiercely as Alexander McQueen, designing a collection for a mass retailer might seem like a compromise, a declaration of “If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.” But McQueen stresses the collection he’s designing for Target is entirely his own, no holds barred.

“I can’t work with any kind of restraints,” said the designer. “You can’t give me any boundaries.”

Nor does McQueen see any irony in the fact that his gowns cost thousands of dollars while his clothing for Target, which operates 1,658 stores in 48 states, will be priced under $129.99. That’s because McQueen knows what it’s like when money is tight. “I was brought up on this,” said McQueen, the son of a London taxi driver. “I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth.”

McQueen’s collection for Target’s new Designer Collaborations initiative will launch in March. While the collection might appear to mirror the moves by H&M to link with the likes of Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney and, last week, Comme des Garçons, the Target line is actually an ongoing program aimed at bringing a series of established designers to the masses at low prices. Each collection will be in about 250 stores for a limited time. The entire line will also be available at target.com.

Designer Collaborations is a separate program from Target’s Go International, which is sold in nearly all the chain’s stores and focuses on young or emerging designers. Names the retailer has featured in the past include Luella Bartley, Proenza Schouler, Behnaz Sarafpour, Rogan and Richard Chai. Industry sources have estimated that Go International does more than $100 million in annual sales.

As the first participant in Target’s Designer Collaborations, McQueen is eager to expose a new customer to his richly nuanced and atmospheric aesthetic. The line has its roots in McQueen’s diffusion collection, McQ, which made its debut in January 2006 and ranges in price from $235 for a lace panel dress to $860 for a wool admiral’s coat. “The focus of this collection will be younger and more renegade, but always signature McQueen,” the designer said at the launch of McQ. His new venture is called McQ Alexander McQueen for Target.

“We’d always been approached by people like H&M and other high street [retailers] in England to do things,” McQueen said in a telephone interview. “I’m not very fond of following the norm. I didn’t want to follow Stella [McCartney] at H&M or Karl Lagerfeld at H&M. I didn’t see the point of it. I like to infiltrate an area that’s not really aware of me, as such.”

When Ed Filipowski, the publicist and events producer, suggested to McQueen that he work with Target, the designer said he was initially ambivalent. “I’ve never understood Target,” he said. But the idea of spreading his name appealed to the designer. “Apart from the East and West Coasts, my company doesn’t have any visibility in the U.S.,” he said. “I always liked the idea of people in the Midwest wearing my clothes. The idea of this upstart from London going where people haven’t heard of me, I think that was interesting to me. I think it’s quite adventurous of Target.”

Participating designers in the Target program will draw inspiration from a muse, creative element or collaborative partner. McQueen chose as his muse Leila Moss, the lead singer of The Duke Spirit, a British band known for mixing noise rock and grunge in the style of the late Eighties and Nineties (see sidebar). Moss’ style gave the clothes their rock ’n’ roll–punk vibe and hip Brit accents.

“I was looking for someone with the uttermost feeling of McQ,” said McQueen. “We use icons in British music, and she stood out. She’s a great-looking girl and has a personal style. It fell into the idea of the New York underground music scene. It was more the atmosphere she portrays.”

The collection has a muted color palette of black, white, gray and tan with accents of cobalt blue and bright pink. Studs and mesh give items an edge. There are studded jeans, shorts and denim jackets with asymmetrical closures, short tuxedo jackets and matching shorts, dresses in a blue and white painterly fabric, a one-shoulder dress in a gray-and-black zigzag pattern with a thick black belt, a T-shirt with the image of Moss; other members of The Duke Spirit are immortalized on a sleeveless jersey T-shirt. “The manufacturing is well finished and second to none in that price point,” McQueen said of the collection. “It’s not expensive at all, but you get the execution of a well-designed collection. Because of the use of materials and the feeling, [Target] knew where the collection would go.”

The designer’s favorite pieces in the line include “the pink and black pieces and the little prom dresses.”

A goal of McQ Alexander McQueen for Target is to attract a younger crowd to the designer’s collection. “It’s more about the music scene and fashion scene in the East End area, where I live,” said the designer, adding the point of the line is not to educate people about fashion, but rather, “it’s a feeling about the time we’re living in. If you start to give the whole of America that sense of where I’m from, the underground music scene, it’s not so much about a logo, it’s more about a feeling.”

McQueen’s Target collection was put in place before the recession began, but the retailer is confident of the strategy (for more on Target’s latest financial results, see related story). “We remain confident in our long-term strategy built on the premise of ‘Expect More, Pay Less,’” said a Target spokesman. “Part of that is differentiation. Our Designer Collaborations program will help differentiate us and give us a competitive edge.”

While Go International targets 18- to 24-year-old women, McQ Alexander McQueen for Target is positioned to an 18- to 34-year-old consumer. “We’ll find that both younger and older shoppers will dip into the collection,” the spokesman said. “One of the goals of Designer Collaborations and the heavy marketing push we have is to attract shoppers to our stores, including consumers who don’t shop our stores on a regular basis. We want to increase frequency and encourage first-time shoppers to Target.”

Target is not McQueen’s first collaboration — he launched the Alexander McQueen Puma range and Samsonite Black Label Alexander McQueen — but it is his most populist effort. “I cover specific areas of life,” the designer said. “Puma has that Generation X aspect with fashion and sneakers and Samsonite was more of an art-based project. Sometimes it’s the monetary thing we’re doing, but this is more about getting an idea of what I’m about across in the [U.S.],” he said.

McQueen doubted the Target line will bring more consumers to his core collection. “There is no way the main line could go to Middle America,” he said. “I’m not getting any [benefit from the Target association] for the main line. It’s taken me 15 years to get the concept of Alexander McQueen over there.”

On the other hand, the Target partnership “will open doors for McQ in other stores. This is a great taste of McQ in areas where it doesn’t exist. There could be some amazing things that come from this. We could change the whole concept of where we distribute.”

It’s taken McQueen a long time to reach the mass market and the designer doesn’t expect to do it again any time soon. “I have to find something in it to make me want to do it,” he said of the hookups. “Target is just one season. I don’t like to repeat myself. It’s a one-off and that makes it an eclectic collection. It’s great as pieces that will never exist again, and for me it’s a good marketing strategy. If I do it all the time, it dilutes the concept.”

Comment

• gerry
                            • Feb 2008

First looks of the McQueen + Target from WWD and it doesn't look promising.

Comment

• makeupexpression
                              • Aug 2008

agree...does not look promising at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎