• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Two Words for Fall: Toughen Up

By Cathy Horyn, NYTimes

ONE of the reasons fashion is a young person’s game is that older people keep wishing it were dead. Consider how often in this newspaper we’ve heard the groanings that unreal amounts of money, celebrity and marketing are knocking the more genuine stuff out of fashion. Yet even if the complaint seems valid, it is largely an older generation’s reaction to the speed and inorganic nature of change, and not a result of our changing relation to what we wear.

Fashion is not dead, but the world has slowed down and sobered up. Between last September and the start of the fall 2009 collections, on Feb. 5, merchants saw business fall dramatically as consumers shifted from spending to saving in the path of the recession. Magazines, faced with declining advertising, sent fewer editors to Milan and Paris. Fashion houses, anticipating reduced orders, cut out the theatrics as they sought to appeal to a relatively new demand in luxury fashion: value.

As Sidney Toledano, the chief executive of Dior, said after John Galliano’s almost sedate Orientalist-themed show for the house, on March 6: “John is looking for beauty. He’s not looking to do experimental work. These are expensive clothes.”

They were also expensive in the late ’90s, when Mr. Galliano was at his most flamboyant. But now there is a line drawn between that kind of artistic excess and something that today feels more precise, more wearable but no less emotional. In this remarkable season of fashion, which for the first time in years saw continuity among New York, Milan and Paris, designers seemed to discover that if their clothes were just a little bit sober, just a little bit sharper and youthful, they might actually resonate more powerfully with women.

The recession could turn out to make designers better designers.

In spite of the last-day brilliance of Marc Jacobs’s Marie Antoinette ruffles at Louis Vuitton — a collection that recalled Tom Ford’s early designs for Saint Laurent and is sure to connect with fashion-mad young women — tailoring was the dominant story of the fall shows. In New York, Michael Kors offered one-shoulder dresses in flannel and sculptural suits, while Donna Karan skipped the vagueness of seasons past and focused on well-cut blazers and trousers with seductively draped jersey tops. In Paris, Alber Elbaz at Lanvin and Stefano Pilati at Saint Laurent sounded the same note, with pinstriped suits that had a deliberate ease — and an experienced sexual attitude.

Not only did tailoring banish girlishness from runways, it also spurred American designers as different as Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein and L’Wren Scott, who started her business three years ago with tailoring, to be more creative with new fabrics. These were not your basic Calvins, Mr. Costa seemed to be saying with his geometrically cut suits and dresses in black wool that looked moth riddled. And yet precisely for those mysterious effects, they were desirable.

By the end of the shows, retailers were praising the level of craft and fabric research — and complaining when it was obscured, as at Chanel, by French-maid ruffles.

OUT of necessity, a lot of designers put on smaller shows. It meant that they couldn’t flub a seam. A month after seeing Vera Wang’s plain shirtdresses and Fortuny pleating, Ron Frasch, the chief merchant at Saks Fifth Avenue, said: “One of my favorites of the whole collections. It was about, ‘Let’s not throw on more ornament. Let’s create clothes with more craftsmanship.’ ”

In Milan, Miuccia Prada and Raf Simons at Jil Sander continued to up the ante. Here, in two collections, was personal vision realized with extraordinary craft. With his spiraling S-shaped coats and lovely dresses — with vivid satin flashing behind the curls — Mr. Simons showed how you can have the wearable, and yet just a little more. Those who know of Ms. Prada’s fondness for rural life — and the tension it has long given her fashion — understand only too well the incredible allure of these clothes, their richness and plainness. In both her Prada and Miu Miu lines, Ms. Prada conveyed a different kind of glamour. She also, in a dozen small ways, expressed key trends: the return of the coatdress, the use of asymmetry and the new cut of sleeveless dresses, so that the shoulders of a velvet and tweed dress extend slightly over the arms.

Mr. Elbaz’s opening dress at Lanvin, a black wool sheath with a twist of fabric over one shoulder, had a similar cut. As Linda Fargo, the fashion director at Bergdorf Goodman, said, “It’s a simple sheath — well, it is and it isn’t.”

Retailers seemed almost surprised that designers had managed to cram so much style into classics like the coatdress without overdoing it. As Mr. Frasch said, “It’s fashion, but it’s not going to be going out of fashion.” Julie Gilhart, the fashion director at Barneys New York, brought up the Lanvin sheath with the twist, which will cost about $2,300. “It’s the kind of dress you can wear, then put away in your closet for 10 years. When you bring it back out, people will say, ‘What is that?’ And you can say, ‘Yeah, it’s a 10-year-old Lanvin.’ ”

With consumers likely to remain “picky and negative,” as one merchant put it, most retailers focused on strong items like thigh-high boots, leggings and the distinctive capes at Comme des Garçons. “Listen, we can’t fill up our stores with collections,” said Linda Dresner, the owner of a boutique in Birmingham, Mich. “Clothes become too recognizable, and before you know it, the good idea becomes the old idea.”

Considering the economy, retailers were dismayed that houses didn’t come up with more affordable items. “I’m still befuddled with blouses over $1,000,” Mr. Frasch said. “We’re talking about something that women wear to work.”

Although Balenciaga’s satin drapes and emerald print dresses are certain to tempt women, if only for their Parisian influence, it was interesting to hear what editors who will photograph the collections had to say. “To me the classicism was kind of brilliant, but it wasn’t dull,” said Paul Cavaco, the creative director at Allure, adding: “My challenge is always how do you take something normal and make it covetable. This time, I think the designers did that. They took the pinstriped suits and made them covetable. And it wasn’t over the top.”

Alex White, who styles many of the shoots for W, said in an e-mail message: “Over all, I was quite struck by the number of clothes that I want to wear,” and she plans her first story to illustrate how wearable the collections are. Seeing Burberry, Prada and Comme des Garçons, she said she thought of Bruce Weber in the country. Thinking more, Ms. White wrote: “The photographs of Louise Dahl-Wolfe came to mind when reviewing the Dries Van Noten show. The nonchalant elegance and the ease of the collection have definitely inspired me for a shoot.”

It’s amazing what you can see when things slow down.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Casius View Post
    By Cathy Horyn, NYTimes
    “I’m still befuddled with blouses over $1,000,”
    Great article.

As the buyer from Saks noted, I too am perplexed over the pricing for the new season of wares that are making it out to the selling floor. McQueen is a great example...$615 hummingbird printed tee? WTF. Granted the material is silky soft and the print is awesome, but not at that price point. I know that I am definitely rethinking my purchasing habits and value. It seems that designers and retailers may be out of step with one another.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

I have no proof of this but i do believe there is a link bettween the earlier and earlier sales, the ridiculous discounts and the increasing price of designer merchandise,

if i want $500 on average for my goods , and stores and consumers have developed an expectation of putting things on sale six weeks after it hits the selling floor, then all I have to do is sell it for $1000, when its half off, i still get my $500, when it goes to 75% off i get $250 , but those that sold at $1000, hopefully would have covered the loss of $250 at 75% off. so on average i still get the $500 i originally wanted..............
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

Zamb- That can be the case, most likely for smaller boutiques but for those such as Barneys/Saks/Neiman, they are getting price breaks (most likely) from what normal wholesale cost would be to a regular boutique. So while a boutique may have a 50% markup from wholesale, Barneys may have a 60-75% markup from their wholesale, yet still being able to retail the item for the same (or lesser) price.

reborn- I can't agree more about McQueen (sorry to kind of derail), but it seems as though his customers are paying for him to put on a show during fashion weeks and once the 'normal' clothing hits stores, it's overpriced and nothing like the show.

Either way, I think more and more retailers are looking at ways to attract customers to continue buying. Barneys just started giving gift cards for those who spend money (the more you spend the more you get back, now who doesn't love that!? ;) ) and I think more and more this is going to be the norm. But I will agree that these designers have to come up with ways to still put out a great product but make some of the staple pieces more affordable.

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
          I have no proof of this but i do believe there is a link bettween the earlier and earlier sales, the ridiculous discounts and the increasing price of designer merchandise,

if i want $500 on average for my goods , and stores and consumers have developed an expectation of putting things on sale six weeks after it hits the selling floor, then all I have to do is sell it for $1000, when its half off, i still get my $500, when it goes to 75% off i get $250 , but those that sold at $1000, hopefully would have covered the loss of $250 at 75% off. so on average i still get the $500 i originally wanted..............

Zamb: Bingo!!! I think what you scripted above is exactly the problem. The solution would be to price on value and worth...less on expectation. Perhaps designers should rely on ABC (activity based costing) pricing models used in other manufacturing sectors.

And also, part of the problem is "how" or "the extent" that consumers expect merch to go on sale. I know I definitely go in with an expectation on price. If something is above what I think is reasonable, I usually pass on it (or search the web for comparable merch pricing). However, if it is with the range of my mental pricing, I snatch it up.

For the McQueen shirt, I wouldn't think twice about that shirt if it were at or below $300usd. At $600+, I'll wait till it's on Yoox for less than $200.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Yea, we definitely all have our line of what we are willing to pay for an item, or expecting to pay.
            I almost now look at buying clothing similar to buying a car; You do the research before hand (or after seeing a piece you like) and determine where you can get it for the best price. Of course there are some variables (convenience, you like shopping at a certain place, etc) but for the most part customers are getting a lot more savvy with buying clothing. Or maybe that's just people here on SZ....lol.

Comment

• swami
              • Jul 2008

Dude SZ is such a small drop in the bucket of plethora of ballers out there Who refuse to buy anything at sale cause its so below them.
              Who the fuck do you think A has secret sales for at 40% where all the good sizes are gone before we even get wind of that shit! sheeeet! There will always be the full price shoppers to offset the sale shoppers!

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Once you get into a higher price range, like $3000.00 at least for a leather jacket, I think the buyers are predominantly the ones who have money to spend and won't be waiting and waiting and waiting around for a Rick piece to go on sale.. they would just get off the plane at the Vancouver airport, go to their hotel, check out Komakino for a bit and pick up a few grand worth of clothing and leave. It's like, people who buy a brand new Mercedes won't be waiting around for them to drop the price a bit. They'll go in, buy the car and ball the fuck out of there.
                Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Charlesdar
                  • Mar 2009

So true.. People and Benzo's and OC Hoes.

Comment

• sshum88
                    • Dec 2007

I think the article speaks to the entire luxury goods segment which includes clothing. It will be challenging times for most retailers because even the 'ballers' may have to pare back somewhat now that the cash flow may not be what it was in the past. As Zamb posted above, the markups are crazy and you rely on the law of averages to sustain your business.

Personally I've always been a 'sale' shopper and even more so now that I decided to go back to school. I rarely pay full price just knowing that the markup is 2.5x to 3x. Yes there have been many times that I missed out on an item in my size by not paying full price but it's not like I don't have other items in my closet.
                    Originally posted by eat me
                    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

I'm no insider, but I would bet that the 40% off sale is for those who are "friends of A" and people who buy often. It's like having a membership card with your grocery store- they reward people for being customers. I would guess that the typical buyers at Atelier are the richer ones.. They're the ones who have the capacity to come in and stuff a loot bag full of goodies. But I'm not sure I follow you on the Mercedes example.. Does Mercedes rely on the general population? Yes, but not as much as say, Ford or Honda, which the typical non-baller would wait around for a better price on.. I don't think that Atelier is living off of the typical teens and young adult sale shoppers who scrounge around in sofas and sell their old shoes to buy the season's key pieces, though it's not like they really choose their clientele. They depend on whoever walks in.

But I think the odd part about discussing A is that most of their clients are all part of a specific subculture, but it does match up with the Mercedes example. Rich people and passionate people are the main buyers.

I would assume that most of the store is cleared out after the 40% off sale, though I could be wrong.
                      Originally posted by philip nod
                      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Casius
                        • Dec 2006

What's this sale you speak of?

Comment

• cro426
                          • Dec 2006

They had sent an email out last week, not sure if everyone on their mailing got it. To announce a on specific designers. I think they did it has they are just over stock on certain designers and wanted to clear out as knew merchandise is coming in.

Comment

• sshum88
                            • Dec 2007

I think all of us would shop at A more if they offered a service to buy online and ship the goods to anywhere in the world. I realize that it takes extra effort to setup an online commerce store and dealing with the forms takes time, but retailers would then have access to a much bigger market than the person who can walk into their bricks and mortar operation.

The retailers can setup a shipping system similar to what Diego does for his goods. He has pre-printed Fedex forms and boxes on hand. Buyers will know that it is one fee for shipping in NA and another to the ROW.
                            Originally posted by eat me
                            If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Why does every thread on SZ turn into a discussion about A?
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎