X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Designers Struggle To Stay Relevant on Planet Paris

A good, if a bit cynical, review of the Paris shows from NYT (minus the Raf praise):

Struggling to Stay Relevant on Planet Paris

By CATHY HORYN
    Published: June 30, 2009

OUTSIDE the Rick Owens show, at a large arena here, three young street toughs — a girl and two boys who appeared to be 12 or 13 —were jeering at the fashionistas. The girl was especially bold; she would run up to boys not much older than herself, boys with the stylish poise of black storks, and flail her arms and laugh wildly in their pretty faces.

Unlike Milan, French men’s fashion has never really claimed a large, much less sympathetic, audience. That’s partly because the designers who show here, like Mr. Owens — or Raf Simons or Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons — tend to have strong sensibilities. In their designs, all sorts of people recognize what is modern, alluring, suggestive, dark and funny, but the numbers are fewer than for someone like Giorgio Armani.

Recently, however, it has become clear that Paris fashion is less the creative hub of the industry than an isolated universe whose weakness can be sensed even by children. Sometime in the last decade, the industry discovered that fashion was a terrific means to an end — so long as the end was anything but a useful new fashion. It could attract investors, sweeten a hotel deal in Dubai and serve as a communications tool.

Last week at the spring 2010 men’s shows, editors were dutifully sending out tweets as they flew around Paris in their hired cars and minivans. Nobody expects to learn anything significant from a tweet, and nobody does. The point is just to create the frantic sense that something is happening.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, designers were struggling against the profound realities of tighter credit and wary consumers. You felt this in the tiredness of Ann Demeulemeester’s many washed-silk suits, in Dries Van Noten’s safe and pleasing use of faded ikat prints, in Kim Jones’s modified dandies for Dunhill and in the new, softer suits at Dior.

Many people seemed to like the Dior suits, which were layered with loose vests and used light-emitting fabrics, as if the designer Kris Van Assche had wanted to expose the properties of tailoring. But likeable or not, the clothes were hardly remarkable in a city that has seen similar relaxed expressions from Yohji Yamamoto, as well as various Belgian designers. The hallmark of Dior is tailoring — and no doubt the backlist of suits will keep customers happy — but the house is also known for operating on a high plain of awareness, and lately what you get is a blurry vision.

Other designers offered what amounts to an imitation of experience. This season the buzzword was multiracial, with Stefano Pilati of Yves Saint Laurent showing tailored jackets layered over flowing tunics and soft trousers, the ethnic edges hazed. Looking at the murky Armani colors, you had to remind yourself that this was a Saint Laurent collection.

John Galliano’s Arabic boys, based on the portraits of Wilhelm von Gloeden, were plausible because his show was typically camp. It’s no surprise that he also managed to work Lawrence of Arabia and Napoleon Bonaparte into the same North African vistas.

But the Givenchy show, another multicultural experience, just felt naïve. Riccardo Tisci tried to insinuate that his heavy layers of black leather shorts, baggy gold tops, mosaic print leggings and hoods were based on a contemporary style. But is it his style? Such overwrought design serves only to isolate the people who inhabit fashion. Maybe that’s how it seemed to the taunting youths outside the Owens show, who reflected multiracial Paris.

The Givenchy show suggests the amount of insecurity and confusion worming through Paris houses. Designers are looking at everything but the actual challenges of modern design. Bernhard Willhelm could at least be funny. He turned a grand salon into a playroom where his models, dressed in kooky camo and jungle prints, blithely daubed paint on trite old paintings.

Aside from Mr. Owens, whose urban clothes — the tough leathers and half-skirted trousers — describe a specific world, the other standout collections of the Paris shows were Raf Simons, Comme des Garçons, Junya Watanabe and Jean Paul Gaultier. Although Lanvin presented a new, leaner silhouette, the shapes and styling felt a bit rushed to the runway.

Ms. Kawakubo’s singular effect was to apply collages of fabric to the fronts of suit jackets, repeating the notion of randomness in vividly printed trousers. Mr. Watanabe focused on the nipped-waist sports jacket, adding formal touches like ascots to polo shirts while retaining a casual look. With both designers, the changes grew out of their own fashion traditions.

Mr. Gaultier has a distinct silhouette, but the ultrawide-shoulder jackets that closed his show were compelling, especially with the line created by the straight-cut tops and slightly draped trousers. This wasn’t Mr. Gaultier up to his old tricks.

If Mr. Simons’s belted jackets, with their vague military cast, impart a sense of control, that’s precisely what he intended. He thinks that is what people want — control over their lives, their futures. Clothing can express that. Indeed, the striking thing about Mr. Simons’s collection is how much he focused on silhouette. Sure, the fabrics are beautiful, the details rich, but it’s the cut that makes the difference.

In spite of his influence on fashion over the last decade and a half, Mr. Simons remains below the radar. His work for Jil Sander has changed that a little, but now he wants to work on branding his own label. That explains, perhaps, white cotton trousers printed with writhing green-brown snakes and a new logo entwined with a snake, a style that might seem flashy for Mr. Simons. (They actually bring to mind a wild garden print that Helmut Lang once did for jeans.)

Referring to the economic crisis, Mr. Simons said, “I think retailers are going to focus less on the designers of the past 10 years than on those who are going to matter over the next 10 years.”

Paris designers can afford to be sloppy. Certainly one who is very fluent in modern luxury is Paul Helbers of Louis Vuitton. His clothes are probably best appreciated in a shop, where one can feel the weight of a linen suit or see how the sleeves of a jacket have been set slightly forward to allow for more ease on a bicycle.

Véronique Nichanian of Hermès also showed some lovely, civilized clothes: slim linen trousers in pond shades of green and brown, as well as lush leathers and fine casual knits. But the setting for this low-key luxury was a vast, airless ancient room made more stifling by a packed earthen floor laid specially for the show and probably at some expense. It was not quite the joy of Plato’s cave.
    music
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

No wonder she looked so pissed off at all the shows. I agree with a lot of what she says here, except the Raf Simons crack she can't stop smoking. Thanks for posting!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

Case you beat me to posting it.

Personally, I dislike the article not only because it asserts that there isn't enough commercial creativity coming out of Paris (which IMO is entirely untrue), but also because the author seems to be seeking fault with any collection not "mainstream" enough (for lack of a better word) - see Ann D and Givenchy comments, while simultaneously championing attempts to attract a boring consumer (really, Raf was the standout collection?) To me, this effort suggests insincerity on the author's part, and leaves a genral bad impression on me.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Well, to be honest, I think most collections were flat. And because she needs to hold on to something, she holds on to Raf. I am surprised she said nothing about Lanvin. I'd imagine she'd like that.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Cloak
          • Feb 2009

I agree with her stance on a whole, but her position on Raf is far too lenient, and she continues to be almost unnecessarily critical of Ricardo Tisci at Givenchy season after season (it is perhaps warranted this season, but still).

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I am surprised she said nothing about Lanvin. I'd imagine she'd like that.
            the Lanvin presentations themselves barely register with me any more. To me the whole house as it is, is just stuff that I would wear the hell out of and know what I'm getting season in season out if I could afford it (minus the variations of sneakers that are getting more and more outlandish.)
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• metin
              • Dec 2008

If Cathy Horyn wants to be talking about successful "mainstream" work, then she should be talking about Thomas Maier at BV. It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but if you're looking for well-made and not boring clothing, BV has become one of the last places that genuinely lives up to the standards that "luxury" brands should be shooting for. As far as creativity is concerned, the Miharayasuhiro show is enough to prove her wrong.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

at that price range i'd rather go w/ Lanvin than BV for that broken in luxury chic thing...don't get me wrong, BV is quality, but that's a LOT of money for clothing that more often than not veers to the side of unstructured, bare-bones rumpled. Not really a fan of Maier's more sartorially structured ventures within the brand... The BV menswear collections and their haute off-duty casuality could often be captured in spirit with alternatives that aren't so decadent in price...even comme/junya offer clothes along a similar vein pretty frequently and while not an exact doppelganger is much less bank-breaking. Whereas Lanvin can't really be anywhere near duplicated.
                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Cloak View Post
                  I agree with her stance on a whole, but her position on Raf is far too lenient, and she continues to be almost unnecessarily critical of Ricardo Tisci at Givenchy season after season (it is perhaps warranted this season, but still).
                  i haven't taken a look at the f/w Givenchy in person, but S/S 08 was highly disappointing up close despite the masterful styling of the runway show. I dig the dark and sparse tailoring but it feels so flimsily made.
                  www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by metin View Post
                    If Cathy Horyn wants to be talking about successful "mainstream" work, then she should be talking about Thomas Maier at BV. It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but if you're looking for well-made and not boring clothing, BV has become one of the last places that genuinely lives up to the standards that "luxury" brands should be shooting for. As far as creativity is concerned, the Miharayasuhiro show is enough to prove her wrong.
                    mihara does not register on her radar. Her knowledge of fashion is very manstream.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Degree 0.1 of analysis...it could be worse but it would take a lot of work to attain such a lack of insight.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        mihara does not register on her radar. Her knowledge of fashion is very manstream.
                        this is a good example why the write up is quite meaningless to me. if you're idea of the whole fashion scene is buzzing between YSL, Givenchy and Dior shows in a minibus, no wonder you end up sounding a bit bitter, I would too. I don't mean that she'd be entirely wrong about what shes saying, but it still all sounds a bit pointless imo, and like Fuuma said, lacking insight.

I'm surprised she mentioned Rick, but then again he is quite mainstream. even Usher was there, and most likely the teenaged girl mentioned in the first pharagraph was running around like maniac, screaming, rolling on the ground, when she saw him. I have a feeling they were actually making fun of Toothpick (blonde boy-girl in meels).

Mr. Simons this, Mr. Simons that..
                        Last edited by lowrey; 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Agreed. I wish Tim Blanks would write more expansive articles - I talked to him quite a few times in Paris, and he knows his stuff.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                            • Apr 2008

Faust, I second Tim Blanks knowledge. People don't give him enough credit, as the man has great perspective on menswear. I wish he would write more than his GQ blips.

As for the article, I can't help but wonder how Raf continues to attain such immense praise from critics, and yet his clothing (in NYC at least) NEVER moves from the racks. His doors have shrunk dramatically over the last few years, his collections always end up bursting at the seams and dramatically marked down. I wonder if any of these editors actually wear the stuff.

That being said, his work at Jil Sander has been a great success at the retail level in the last 2-3 seasons. People in NYC get his Jil work. I question Rafs ability to juggle so many projects.

Also regarding BV vs. Lanvin... The air of investment to the mainstream man is clearly on the side of BV. Lanvin used to make great suits (maybe they still do?) but I haven't seen one in 1 year... instead i've seen upturned snouts at extremely boyish cropped jackets and flimsy, papery grosgrain trousers. BV radiates quality and luxury on the racks, but only seems to connect with older, more conservative men. Lanvin has become a dandy gay boys paradise, especially with the color palates and fabric choices of late. Whatever happened to the strange, relaxed masculinity that Lanvin used to capture? I think the house is ALREADY afraid to progress past hi-tops, grosgrain collared shirts, etc as they seem happy enough to repeat the same damn thing every season. It's dissapointing.

sorry for the rant. :)
                            every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Macro, Lanvin has two sides of the luxury market - one that sells the regular suits (core business) and the high profile fashiony side that you refer to.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎