PDA

View Full Version : Twitter

hobo
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
NOTE: these posts have been moved here from another thread (includinf the first 74 posts of this thread)

this might result in some confusing references in the posts relating to the old thread.

If anyone's interested, I just started tweeting. I'm sure many may argue that I've been tweeting for far too long already[lol], but...

Anyway, I have two tweets, @boho_mark (general day to day life stuff) and @sartorial_hobo (fashion, art, comment etc). The latter is inspired by this thread. I've never done this tweeting thing before, so I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know what you think.

Faust and a few other guys on here know me in person so I'm sure that they'd confirm that there aren’t many groups of individuals on the internet, who I'd ask the opinions of, so give me some feedback.

Sorry, blatantly advertising now, but not for commercial reasons.[tongue]

Faust
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Hobo, I'd tell you what I think about tweeting, but I'm afraid I'd have to ban myself!

hobo
10-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Hobo, I'd tell you what I think about tweeting, but I'm afraid I'd have to ban myself!

Go on, tell me. It would be really funny if you had to ban yourself. You'd better ban mike and I too, 'cos' he's tweeting and we follow each other. Don't ban us for tweeting, more because the thought of two grown men following each other is a bit creepy![lol]

[thumbup]. Is them pants leather?

Absolutely... it's the future!!!

Hmm, thanks guys. I think the shirt/vest combination works better irl, the long sleeve is less shiny, and darker. This is a more accurate color representation

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/crybabydoll/sz-2.jpg

The combo does look better in image two, but over all I still like the first image better. Your complexion is a little grey in the second shot. I think you need some sun on your skin![rolleyes]

Them pants be leather alright,to be honest the pictures really dont do em' justice at all.

Stop looking at my pants, Ledger!

hmmm?

In the infamous words of Al Pachino, "Hu, ha."[ninja]

Faust
10-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Hobo, no offense, but I think tweeter is done by the ADD generation for the ADD generation. I really don't see the point. Another waste of time, another excuse to look at your iphone. You can hardly even form a worthwhile thought in 140 characters.

Here is my favorite sketch about it - not sure if viewable outside the states (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-2-2009/twitter-frenzy).

This was funny (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/opinion/22dowd.html?scp=4&sq=twitter&st=nyt) too. Of course right next to the article is an icon so you can tweet it.

hobo
10-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Hobo, no offense, but I think tweeter is done by the ADD generation for the ADD generation. I really don't see the point. Another waste of time, another excuse to look at your iphone. You can hardly even form a worthwhile thought in 140 characters.

Here is my favorite sketch about it - not sure if viewable outside the states (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-2-2009/twitter-frenzy).

This was funny (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/opinion/22dowd.html?scp=4&sq=twitter&st=nyt) too. Of course right next to the article is an icon so you can tweet it.

Wow, I don’t know what to say...

Wow, over the past few months you guys have taken me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. You’ve made me smile, you’ve pissed me off and you’ve made me laugh out loud... but I really am left feeling nothing but empty after that ‘charge of the shite brigade’, and lead by you Faust, fuck me man, I really thought more of you than that. I mean, to sweepingly dismiss a whole style/genre (whatever you want to call it) is nothing short of remedial. I mean it man, did you ever notice that almost every fucking post on this thread is under 140 characters, and have you actually read some of the inane comments made. But here’s the crunch, after blindingly slamming twitter, calling it (well I’ll let you read back and look at all the things that you called it, I really can’t be arsed), you all actually proceed to have the most banal conversation about what a terrible year you’ve all had! Fuck me, you’ve got to see the irony there, surely...

Anyway, no offence taken Faust, it wasn’t me you attacked it was twitter.

Yes I do think that the store can benefit from twitter, it’s all PR, That’s why I set up an account for the store, but that’s not why I set up my twitter account. I set up “@sartorial_hobo” because I care about the industry that I work in and I care about the people that I work with (and believe it or not that includes you!), and I’ll promote them and the sanity that they bring to an insane world, dominated by corporate greed and dishonesty, that would have us all dressing, acting and clucking on forums like fucking clones, in any way that I can!

So my friends, in years to come, you can all look back on these pages and read what you wrote, with the same feelings that the highbrow and oh so funny NYT journalist will look back on her condescending article with, or with the same feelings of those that said that rock music was a fad, or house music, or the internet, or the combustion engine!

So here’s a wakeup call; Not all Mexicans do drink Tequila, not all deserts are hot, not all romantic novels are bad, not all politicians are lyers, not all cars have four wheels, not all black people live in the hood, not all Mozart’s scores are brilliant, not all Shaxpur’s characters are great, and guess what, not all fucking twitters are pointless!

So, I’ll make you a deal, I’m going to post my last 10 posts from “@sartorial_hobo” and if you can find 10 posts in a row, from this thread, that we mutually agree to tackle more interesting or thought provoking topics, I’ll concede your point, and apologise for my little rant. If you can’t, you will... Deal?

sartorial_hobo
1. Ahh to sleep, perchance to dream...about 24 hours ago from Tweetie

2. Just because something is subjective is no excuse not to be objective, when presenting ones opinion... Dude!8:11 PM Oct 26th from Tweetie

3. Augusta 01 Show Boot in reverse horse hide (http://yfrog.com/0aimg7422twj) You've got to love the texture. (http://yfrog.com/0iimg7423qj)about 11 hours ago from web

4. This is clothing. This is fashion. It's about texture, fabric, finish. You've got to hold it and feel it. It's tactile.about 11 hours ago from web

5. Fuck those big labels who spend 90% of their budget on marketing, this century is going to be about the resurgence of the little guy...about 11 hours ago from web

6. Bespoke, handmade in small quantities with love and care... Exciting times my friends, exciting times!about 11 hours ago from web

7. Well dn Geoffrey B Small, Label Under Construction, Maurizio Amadei, Maurizio Altieri, Marvie and all who r making our industry real again.about 11 hours ago from web

8. Thank you Pollyanna, Sartorial Loft, Darklands, Library, Atelier and all the stores who strive to support these artisans and crafts people.about 11 hours ago from web

9. Just thinking about the increasing divide between the big budget designer labels / magazines and the atilier designers / new media press.about 4 hours ago from Tweetie

10. The chasm is widening, my friends... These are exciting times, we live in!about 4 hours ago from Tweetie

11. @MikeNouveau Happy Birthday!!! Suprise!!!about 2 hours ago from Tweetie in reply to MikeNouveau

There you go ten posts + bonus!

I tried to provoke some reactions in the randomness thread earlier by comparing the Iphone frenzy to Dawn of the Dead.
Tweeting with your Iphones is only the next step towards alienation from real life.

Sums up my thoughts on this creation, word for word.

DRRK's comment about the a further step towards a cubicle world is poignant as well.

Why not try to think of an original way to put that. It would be more interesting!

that lazy but famous poem doesn't suffice in defense of modern mind rot

'Mind rot', that's what you call the free, uncensored flow of information! That's what my father used to call T.V. hmmm that fad lasted too. And look at the fantastic documentaries, commentaries and new available now... Yes most T.V. is shit, but that doesn't mean it all is. Why don't you open your mind, and we can all step inside?

Faust
10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Hobo, I think you are overreacting. I really did not mean to take a stab at you! But you asked for my opinion of twitter, which I did not want to give at first. I thought you suspected it would be negative, judging by my initial post. I also thought my post was lighthearted. I guess not.

And, contrary to a popular belief, I do not lead any charges. Sometimes people agree with my opinion, and it may look like people are ganging up on you, but believe me, it's not premeditated!

To be sure, there is fluff here on SZ, but one post by dolochev today in the Issue of Authorship thread counteracts all of the fluff for the day.

Anyway, I hope we can proceed in a peaceful manner. I really cannot fight anymore. Last week was crazy enough.

P.S. I will tell you about my year when I see you in Paris in 2010. It is far from banal, believe me.

cjbreed
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I mean, to sweepingly dismiss a whole style/genre (whatever you want to call it) is nothing short of remedial. I mean it man, did you ever notice that almost every fucking post on this thread is under 140 characters, and have you actually read some of the inane comments made. But hereís the crunch, after blindingly slamming twitter, calling it (well Iíll let you read back and look at all the things that you called it, I really canít be arsed), you all actually proceed to have the most banal conversation about what a terrible year youíve all had! Fuck me, youíve got to see the irony there, surely...

i don't know about twitter really but isn't the difference here that a forum is a conversation and a tweet is just like a declaration? to be read by your followers? so there is no discussion, right? just seems like another timewaster to me. but it makes sense as a tool for businesses. for personal use, i'm out...

merkuri
10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
no, actual conversations are enabled and encouraged and it is an extremely effective marketing tool and means of cheap pr-and pr people are among the most overpaid on earth. so thank you twitter.

AKA*NYC
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
'Mind rot', that's what you call the free, uncensored flow of information! That's what my father used to call T.V. that fad lasted too. And look at the fantastic documentaries, commentaries and new available now... Yes most T.V. is shit, but that doesn't mean it all is. Why don't you open your mind, and we can all step inside?

twitter is not television [lol]

genevieveryoko
10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
i don't know about twitter really but isn't the difference here that a forum is a conversation and a tweet is just like a declaration? to be read by your followers? so there is no discussion, right? just seems like another timewaster to me. but it makes sense as a tool for businesses. for personal use, i'm out...

yes, similar to the difference between a forum and a blog...i've thought about starting a blog but then i think about the people who would read it and i start to cringe...and i don't really like the idea of being in the spotlight or being a leader...but then it doesn't sound like such a bad idea, if perhaps i could make some money off the advertisements to buy more clothes...still up in the air about this one.

hobo
10-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Hobo, I think you are overreacting. I really did not mean to take a stab at you! But you asked for my opinion of twitter, which I did not want to give at first. I thought you suspected it would be negative, judging by my initial post. I also thought my post was lighthearted. I guess not.

And, contrary to a popular belief, I do not lead any charges. Sometimes people agree with my opinion, and it may look like people are ganging up on you, but believe me, it's not premeditated!

To be sure, there is fluff here on SZ, but one post by dolochev today in the Issue of Authorship thread counteracts all of the fluff for the day.

Anyway, I hope we can proceed in a peaceful manner. I really cannot fight anymore. Last week was crazy enough.

P.S. I will tell you about my year when I see you in Paris in 2010. It is far from banal, believe me.

Faust, please let me be clear; I really was not offended and I do relish a good debate. I just make my point with too much enthusiasm sometimes. But it is enthusiasm not anger, it is always positive, and I am always open to hear the opposing argument. Itís just that I prefer an opposing argument with a little more substance. Anyway, I did not take personal offence and I did not think that the good, if slightly deluded, people of the SZ were ganging up on me. I did not think that you had deliberately lead the charge, but lead it you did, as you posted the first comment/opinion on the subject, which incidentally, I did not ask for, but as always I was pleased to hear, despite what you might think from my reaction. Most importantly it I would like you to understand that I did not call your year banal, or indeed anyone elseís. I called the conversation banal. My point was that it was no more or less important than one of the better tweeting conversations. It was just published in a different and more accepted format.

Look I'm a passionate person and I argue with vigour. I don't take any of it personally and I would hope that you guys don't either. I care about your opinions, otherwise why would I bother to contribute.

My point was a simple one, which I probably overcomplicated in my frenzy to get it across. So here it is broken down: -
1. You cannot judge things which you have not experienced firsthand. If you do, no matter how good your information is, you will inevitably run into trouble.
2. To dismiss a whole genre of communication is not wise, because there will always be someone who comes along and does use said genre wisely.
3. This pack instinct that develops where any group of people congregate, including forums, but also school yards, clouds the judgement.
4. The simple facts of the matter are that twitter, although it may be used by twits, in the majority, is still a useful tool for communicating thoughts and ideas, in exactly the same way that Newspapers, T.V, Blogs, Forums, and telephones are. Although Twitter is limited to 140 characters, as has been pointed out, it is also immediate, and that immediacy is something quite unique, which makes it a new tool, to be used in conjunction with existing ones not instead of them. To be able to think of something, which you believe to be relevant or important, and to be able to pull your mobile out of your pocket and post it, is fantastic. Ten years ago I used to be a professional DJ and promoter and when CD decks came out I know many who hated them and criticized them (I was never too keen on them!). Now many of those people are using them, in situations where they are appropriate; the right tool for the job. Now the exact same debate is raging about whether iPods should be used by professional DJs, and so it will go on...

That was pretty much the argument against mobile phones, and then texting. It's not a waste of time, it's just that you havenít thought of a good use for it yet, but that doesn't mean that others haven't. Just because others have different priorities to you doesn't make them a waste of time. You know many would argue that you posting on this forum is a waste of time but that doesn't mean that it is.

no, actual conversations are enabled and encouraged and it is an extremely effective marketing tool and means of cheap pr-and pr people are among the most overpaid on earth. so thank you twitter.

A good point, but it could be so much more than that, if the right people learned to use it. The problem is that the right people are usually the last to realise the potential of something and the kids are usually the first. Hence the inane twitters that go on at the moment. As Oskar Wilde said ďYouth is wasted on the young.Ē When text messaging first started, it was invented for and marketed towards business people, so that they could get messages to each other, when they weren't in a position to make a call. Did they pick up on it? Did they fuck! It was the kids that saved texting from the mobile communication companiesí bins and aren't we all glad that they did now! I know that I rely on text messaging very much to conduct my day to day business life. The problem is the older we get the more closed minded we get.

twitter is not television [lol]

Great fucking point man! I mean really, you just took my argument apart piece by piece with that one![lol][lol][lol]

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/thisisthepoint/28-10-09.jpg

Another day, another house robbed![lol]

Ps. Great look Maldoror. [thumbup]

Faust
10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Alright, Hobo. You definitely have a point. Let's see how this twitter thing develops in the future. Peace.

philip nod
10-28-2009, 07:30 AM
1. You cannot judge things which you have not experienced firsthand. If you do, no matter how good your information is, you will inevitably run into trouble.

just was reading some articles about this dark period for scientology with fraud allegations and defects. and then i read this. and i thought this is on of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios then.

Faust
10-28-2009, 07:42 AM
/\ yea, it's one of those eternal questions that people are split on. Some things you definitely don't need to experience firsthand (like jumping off a building, for example).

You know, after Stephen Crane wrote The Red Badge of Courage, he got hundreds of letters from people who were completely sure that he served in their regiment during the Civil War, down to "I remember you, man, we did this and that together."

hobo
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM

just was reading some articles about this dark period for scientology with fraud allegations and defects. and then i read this. and i thought this is on of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios then.

Yeah, you're right but do you need to actually make a judgement. By definition, that's a pretty conclusive thing. Maybe you could just form an opinion and try to keep an open mind. That's all I'm saying. For example, when you first PMed me, I thought that you were and idiot, I formed an opinion but I kept an open mind and now I understand that youíre just misguided.

Well, it works in theory![lol]

/\ yea, it's one of those eternal questions that people are split on. Some things you definitely don't need to experience firsthand (like jumping off a building, for example).

You know, after Stephen Crane wrote The Red Badge of Courage, he got hundreds of letters from people who were completely sure that he served in their regiment during the Civil War, down to "I remember you, man, we did this and that together."

You see Faust, there you go doing it again. I mean, don't be so quick to judge jumping off of buildings. I'd highly recommend a parachute if you're going to try it though![tongue]

Mail-Moth
10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Ok, I have to admit that Twitter can be a good thing.

Only if Hobo is the only one allowed to use it [tongue]

Seriously, you've got a point. After all, we are posting on the internet and we learn a lot doing this, an though, we all know what the internet looks like for the most part.

( Sorry for writing such obvious things.)

DRRRK
10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Do I have to buy a suit from the current Raf Simons collection to be able to say that I do not want to own one? Because it is shit, as banal as this argument may seem? Do I have to use Twitter to judge it? My opinion about Twitter is that it was and still is a useful medium in the Iran revolt or other social or political trouble spots. I just do not want it in my life. Do I have to get deeper? It is a popular medium and it can be, like other mediums, manipulative. If I can choose, who or what manipulates me by simply not using a medium I will not use it.

lowrey
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
2. To dismiss a whole genre of communication is not wise, because there will always be someone who comes along and does use said genre wisely.

I of course understand your point here and I'm sure that this very much applies in your case, and I'm sure no one is criticizing you personally here. but then again it doesn't change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog. so even though there are exceptions, its hard not to think that most of the time its nonsense. if I dislike it 95% of the time, can I say its wack? [tongue]

mrbeuys
10-28-2009, 08:43 AM
but then again it doesn't change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog.[tongue]

Sidenote, but actually not quite true:

"The average age of Twitter users has remained relatively static, with a median user age of 31. Other social networking sites are still finding their core demographic. MySpace has grown younger, with a median age of 26, down from 27 in May 2008. LinkedIn also fell to 39 from 40. Meanwhile, Facebook has aged a bit, up to 33 from 26 more than a year ago."

There IS a lot of useless babble though, but it's up to you to find the bits worth following. I quite like it actually...

philip nod
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
For example, when you first PMed me, I thought that you were and idiot, I formed an opinion but I kept an open mind and now I understand that youíre just misguided.

thanks for going easy on me!

making friends, pnidzy style. [thumbup]

lowrey
10-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Sidenote, but actually not quite true:

"The average age of Twitter users has remained relatively static, with a median user age of 31. Other social networking sites are still finding their core demographic. MySpace has grown younger, with a median age of 26, down from 27 in May 2008. LinkedIn also fell to 39 from 40. Meanwhile, Facebook has aged a bit, up to 33 from 26 more than a year ago."

There IS a lot of useless babble though, but it's up to you to find the bits worth following. I quite like it actually...

that just proves the part about (old) celebrities [geek]

in all seriousness though, thats interesting info, I would've guessed the median to be much less.

merkuri
10-28-2009, 09:14 AM
facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.

munch
10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.

haha I never had that problem with my friends on facebook. my friends only seem really boring on facebook. posting what they are going to do on the day and telling when they're bored and whining about their studies/work. [tongue]

maldoror: awesome color choices. personally would have worn a pair of shoes to that instead of sneakers. but very nice colors!

Avyer
10-28-2009, 09:25 AM

This is why I limit my FB status to nights that I'm piss drunk and depressed. I have the same feelings about Twitter as well. No one reads my boring shit, and I don't care. It's just like that old "write a letter and never send it" therapy. And the amazing thing about Twitter, to me, is the availability to find the most random, yet truly entertaining people to follow. And best of all, I now get to follow Hobo.

What is really banal, is the "waste of time" argument. In a true reality, everything this is a waste of time as you can not actually "save" time itself. One just needs to find something that makes this waste of time enjoyable.

zamb
10-28-2009, 09:29 AM
facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.[lol][lol][lol][lol]

I ve wanted to respond to some of the hobo mans posts but just been to busy..............

while I can understand the potential of these social media sites to do good, As Mike Lowrey said, 95% of it is really garbage you dont want to sift through...........
My wife is a huge facebook junkie, I happened to access the site through her page and trust me, some of the nonsense I see on there, I really wonder what kind of lives these people have and if they ever know the definition of PRIVACY.

it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera, ready to sap a picture just to post it on facebook. I remember ready a story about a woman who was hired for a job she didnt really want, but took becvause the salary was lucrative, then posted on FB slamming th company, saying she is only doing it for the money, some one of the managers got a hold of it aand instanly gave her the heave ho!.............

zamb
10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Also for me I dont think that I have that interesting of a life that I want to share it with the whole world online................nor do I find anyones life so interesting that I want to constanly know what they are doing, Ive got bills to pay and things to do, working in my studio takes up most of my time.........

Avyer
10-28-2009, 09:40 AM
it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera, ready to sap a picture just to post it on facebook. I remember ready a story about a woman who was hired for a job she didnt really want, but took becvause the salary was lucrative, then posted on FB slamming th company, saying she is only doing it for the money, some one of the managers got a hold of it aand instanly gave her the heave ho!.............

With today's technology you don't even have to have a traditional camera...Most phones will do it. Hell I snapped a picture of this morning's traffic and posted it, bitching about the mess it is. And Facebook did it's job as a social networking site, in starting a conversation among a few people.

The case in the job-lost... This happens more than one might think. Even for lower-end jobs now. A "background" check now includes simply googling the person and seeing what pops up. This is even happening at an academic level in accepting graduate students and such.

In a case that I was lucky enough to witness, in high school (2006) the class president, first in class, etc... Was "tagged" in photos of her drinking. These pictures landed with the administration, and she suffered a lot of penalties because of it (lost scholarship). This hasn't really slowed her progress in college, as she is currently undergrad class president, but still relative.

hobo
10-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Do I have to buy a suit from the current Raf Simons collection to be able to say that I do not want to own one? Because it is shit, as banal as this argument may seem? Do I have to use Twitter to judge it? My opinion about Twitter is that it was and still is a useful medium in the Iran revolt or other social or political trouble spots. I just do not want it in my life. Do I have to get deeper? It is a popular medium and it can be, like other mediums, manipulative. If I can choose, who or what manipulates me by simply not using a medium I will not use it.

Of course you don't have to buy the suit, but it would seem sensible to have a good look at it before you dismiss it. I never said that everyone has to Twitter, what I said is don't shout from the rooftops about how shit it is unless you actually know, that's all. If you don't want it in your life, that's cool man.

I of course understand your point here and I'm sure that this very much applies in your case, and I'm sure no one is criticizing you personally here. but then again it doesn't change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog. so even though there are exceptions, its hard not to think that most of the time its nonsense. if I dislike it 95% of the time, can I say its wack? [tongue]

Mike, man, please... I really am not taking this issue personally. I really am enjoying debating it, and if people are criticizing me, good. Criticism forces introspection, which is a good thing. As Rabbi Burns wrote, 'What a gift to ge us, ta see us sens as others see us, from many a blunder, it would free us.'

I think that there are two separate issues here;
1. If you don't want to twitter, fair enough.
2. If you're only reason for not Twittering is because 95% of Twitter is shit, then you may as well stop looking at the internet, stop watching TV and stop reading magazines and newspapers.

It would be a far better argument to say;

My opinion about Twitter is that it was and still is a useful medium in the Iran revolt or other social or political trouble spots. I just do not want it in my life.

thanks for going easy on me!

making friends, pnidzy style. [thumbup]

Hey Niddy, you know I'm just fucking with you![tongue] I'm still hoping that we're gonna grab that beer when I come over to see Faust and Gentry!

Faust
10-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Come on, Mona, jump right in!

Faust
10-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Hobo, let me know when you are coming! Mi casa, su casa.

deleuze
it has taken over some peoples like so that everywhere they go they have a camera

This is the most salient point; FB, Twitter, and even Youtube are not innocuous beasts readily ignored. I can't go to a concert today without seeing a hundred arms holding cameras in front of me taking crappy photos and videos to post online. Much better in the old days when there was the token geek in the corner capturing the show on his video camera. Sorry but all these web 2.0 sites have just become a retreat for people who have forgotten or never had the chance to experience "authentic" life. And consequently they encourage the dissemination of the virtual world into every pocket that remains of the non-virtual.

Plus vinyl and tapes will always be better than CD or MP3.

merkuri
hobo is right IMO. If you are going to crap on something because it's been bastardized or abused by the stupid, that's pretty weak.

Is punk dead or does punk suck because avril lavine is a self-proclaimed punk?

The Iran elections are a great example. Twitter enables that kind of immediacy. As a business tool, again, it works as PR but not yet at least as a vehicle for monetization ó even the creators can't make profit with it.

hobo
10-28-2009, 10:12 AM
facebook is the biggest thorn in my side these days. i have taken to trolling and calling out fb friends because they construct these false, wonderful bullshit lives on there. i have a friend who cannot pay his utilities right now posting cad drawings of the addition he is "planning" on putting on his house. if only people were as wonderful and interesting IRL as they are on FB.[lol][lol][lol][lol]

I ve wanted to respond to some of the hobo mans posts but just been to busy..............

while I can understand the potential of these social media sites to do good, As Mike Lowrey said, 95% of it is really garbage you dont want to sift through...........
My wife is a huge facebook junkie, I happened to access the site through her page and trust me, some of the nonsense I see on there, I really wonder what kind of lives these people have and if they ever know the definition of PRIVACY.

As I said in my post addressing Mikes comment directly, if you don't want to Twitter, or facebook, or read magazines, or have a mobile phone, that's fine, but to argue that you don't want to do it because of this '95% of content is shit' argument just doesn't hold up. 99.9% of fashion forums are shit, and I can't be arsed to sift through that crap, but it didn't stop me looking at SZ after meeting Faust in Paris. We wouldn't be having this conversation now, if I'd simply said, "oh no, I don't do forums, because 95% of them are shit!"

Also for me I dont think that I have that interesting of a life that I want to share it with the whole world online................nor do I find anyones life so interesting that I want to constanly know what they are doing, Ive got bills to pay and things to do, working in my studio takes up most of my time.........

So that begs the question, Zamb, what the fuck are you doing here??? Clearly, you must find something about other peopleís lives and their opinions interesting.[ninja]

Ps. I'm glad you are here![smile]

theetruscan
10-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I really find facebook useful. It's a wonderful resource for me as many of my friends are in the stage in their lives where things change fundamentally (go off to become a professor here or there, get a job and move, etc). Facebook has been quite useful for keeping many of us in touch when we would of otherwise lost contact. I guess we don't live "authentic" lives. Oh well. There's plenty of noise there, but there's plenty of noise in everything in modern life. If you can't learn to filter that, you're going to be totally unable to function.

hobo
10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Hobo, let me know when you are coming! Mi casa, su casa.

Thank you, man.[thumbup]

This is the most salient point; FB, Twitter, and even Youtube are not innocuous beasts readily ignored. I can't go to a concert today without seeing a hundred arms holding cameras in front of me taking crappy photos and videos to post online. Much better in the old days when there was the token geek in the corner capturing the show on his video camera. Sorry but all these web 2.0 sites have just become a retreat for people who have forgotten or never had the chance to experience "authentic" life. And consequently they encourage the dissemination of the virtual world into every pocket that remains of the non-virtual.

You know man, things are not worse and they aren’t better either, there just different. To paraphrase Faust 'Life is what you make of it' and you can take part in it or you can stand around watching and grumbling about how much better it was before. As another friend of mine, Maurizio A once said, "Carpe Diem" - seize the day, my friend, seize the day!

If you do you'll never grow old!!!

Johnny
10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
cease the day, my friend, cease the day!

If you do you'll never grow old!!!

very true

deleuze
10-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you, man.[thumbup]

You know man, things are not worse and they arenít better either, there just different.

Relativism is dangerous and ultimately leads to paralysis. Some things are better, some things are worse. Would the world be a better place without Twitter? Yes. Sure you can find some use for a social networking site but how valuable is this use when you could have solved the problem a number of ways prior to Facebook/Twitter but chose not to? The Iran revolts were for the most part a virtual mobilization, a brilliant marketing ploy. Paris '68 didn't need Twitter.

hobo
10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
don't really want to get involved in the twitter argument, but I remember thinking this was really interesting: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1905125,00.html

Relativism is dangerous and ultimately leads to paralysis. Some things are better, some things are worse. Would the world be a better place without Twitter? Yes. Sure you can find some use for a social networking site but how valuable is this use when you could have solved the problem a number of ways prior to Facebook/Twitter but chose not to? The Iran revolts were for the most part a virtual mobilization, a brilliant marketing ploy. Paris '68 didn't need Twitter.

Just read Mona's link, you might learn something![wall]

[edit] I mean, do you actually know the difference between Paris and Tehran? Shit man, think before you type!

Look at the first copy of the bible; they didn't need a printing press!

Look at Japanese kamikaze pilots; they didn't need bombs!

Look at algae; it doesn't need the food chain!

For fucks sake! You know if you close your mouth, it will stop the words just falling out like that!

deleuze
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the edumacation Hobo.

AKA*NYC
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Just read Mona's link, you might learn something![wall]

[edit] I mean, do you actually know the difference between Paris and Tehran? Shit man, think before you type!

Look at the first copy of the bible; they didn't need a printing press!

Look at Japanese kamikaze pilots; they didn't need bombs!

Look at algae; it doesn't need the food chain!

For fucks sake! You know if you close your mouth, it will stop the words just falling out like that!

what is the difference between paris and tehran?

and what does the bible, kamikaze pilots, and algae have to with any of this?

your straw man arguments and sanctimonious bluster would make even glenn beck blush.

Faust
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Ok, I wash my hands off of this. You guys can kill each other.

hobo
10-28-2009, 11:46 AM
what is the difference between paris and tehran?

and what does the bible, kamikaze pilots, and algae have to with any of this?

your straw man arguments and sanctimonious bluster would make even glenn beck blush.

Tehran is much warmer than Paris, which makes it much more difficult to revolt. You see, everyone just starts sweating and goes to get lemonade. That then affords them the time to Twitter. So obviously, that's why Twittering worked better in Tehran. Itís all about the lemonade, man.

Kamakaze pilots didn't fully understand the bible and therefore ended up with the Algae, which made it impossible to Twitter, even if they had had broad band in the cockpit.

Shit man, you work it out, and while you're doing it, look up straw man and sanctimonious.

Ps. try not to take it personally either [tongue]

xxx

inconduit
10-28-2009, 11:50 AM
there's a club in berlin, berghain, where cameras are strictly verboten. they search you at the door and won't let you in with a camera, and if your cell phone has a camera you're warned in very terse german to not take pictures. i know of a dj who returned to the club only four hours after finishing his set, photographed the bouncers to show them he could in fact take pictures, and was summarily punched in the face.

i applaud this policy, and i'm a photographer. i don't agree that photographs block authentic experience, but after having experienced a camera free venue, i appreciate its value.

hobo
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Sorry man, I was having too much fun and [starwars] got carried away[devil].

Sorry to all, but most of all to AKA*NYC and deleuze[rolleyes].

hobo
10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the edumacation Hobo.

Oh you devil, you![lol][lol][lol]

DRRRK
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Can we rename this thread?

marco-von
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
"twitter entry 20,105..finally had sex witz cute guyz V hit for home run!woo woo"

followers who approve - mum , nan and papa , tim the goat, ashton kutcher.

zamb
10-28-2009, 12:02 PM

What?
Are you pulling a Pontius Pilate on us.........., I thought you were'nt Roman![lol]

hobo
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM

If you do noone will post on it!

Anyway, this thread is fantastic just as it is!

By the way, what are you wearing today?

tlack
10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
... change the fact that a large part of twitter users are teenagers writing about their cat and semi-celebrities telling they ate a hot dog. so even though there are exceptions, its hard not to think that most of the time its nonsense. if I dislike it 95% of the time, can I say its wack? [tongue]

Well keep in mind you aren't forced to read what those people are saying.

I also hated Twitter for the longest time. I understood what it did, but thought it was a stupid concept and used mostly by idiots. But then I read someone's timeline that was so incredibly interesting and timely that I couldn't pull myself away, and it gave me a realization. Like when blogging became popular, interesting people had interesting blogs and idiots had idiotic, selfish, shallow ones. Same with Twitter. Follow interesting people!

DRRRK
10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
If you do noone will post on it!

Anyway, this thread is fantastic just as it is!

By the way, what are you wearing today?

It is. "Do you want to fight today" would not be appropriate.[smile]

Just clothes.

lowrey
10-28-2009, 12:17 PM
wow this went bizarre quickly

I think that there are two separate issues here;
1. If you don't want to twitter, fair enough.
2. If you're only reason for not Twittering is because 95% of Twitter is shit, then you may as well stop looking at the internet, stop watching TV and stop reading magazines and newspapers.

television and newspapers are not fads though, thats one of the main reasons I dislike twitter, the oversaturation. otherwise, it just doesn't interest me that much. I'm not really anti social internet services, I mean I use facebook a bit, though it does bug the crap out of me when it causes people to forget regular means of communication ("oh you didn't get the facebook invitation?" [suicide])

zamb
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM

So that begs the question, Zamb, what the fuck are you doing here??? Clearly, you must find something about other peopleís lives and their opinions interesting.[ninja]

Ps. I'm glad you are here![smile]

Hobo, the part i highlighted is key to the statement, i didnt say dont want to share my life with anyone...........My wife would kill me if I ever said that[lol][lol]

I want to share it with like minded people, people who enhance my knowledge personally and professionally.
thats why i like having you, Fuuma, Faust, Mike Lowrey,
Mercurial Nods, Albert, Dave, the FFF (French Fantastic Four) and many others around............

Also this is the only fashion site that ireally posts regularly on........ and most of the time, the time wasters are banned anyways.........so there you have it, maybe its just the artisan in me............I'd rather talk to you over the phone than send a email or text, I like sometimes to see something in person before I buy it. I like sensual experiences with real people............ sometimes cyberspace takes that away................

zamb
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Also,

something that I wonder about is how do people find time for all of these things, facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Grunter[lol][lol] etc ...........
and still have time for a meaniful productive life..........I certainly cant!

hobo
10-28-2009, 12:26 PM

It is. "Do you want to fight today" would not be appropriate.[smile]

Just clothes.

Hey, it's all in good humour. I hope everyone knows I just enjoy a good ruck, but seriously I learn a lot from these little chats. I hope that you guys do too. [e.g. I didn't know any of that shit about Iran, before today. - Thanks Mona. Oh and I didn't know that Mal had a beard, and a really small face, which is also fairly profound]

I've got meetings... See you soon my crazy laughing friends.

hobo
10-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Zamb, Mike, I love you both but this is getting silly. You are both missing the point by a mile and this is becoming like 'tag-team hobo wrestling', so I'm going to leave it at that...

meetings call...

xxx

cjbreed
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
That was pretty much the argument against mobile phones, and then texting. It's not a waste of time, it's just that you haven’t thought of a good use for it yet, but that doesn't mean that others haven't. Just because others have different priorities to you doesn't make them a waste of time. You know many would argue that you posting on this forum is a waste of time but that doesn't mean that it is.

i don't recall much of an argument against mobile phones.

well i skipped the last 2 pages and i hate to drag this out any further, i'd just like to mention to hobo that timewaster is kind of an american slang term for new web 2.0 era inventions like youtube, myspace, facebook, web forums, gaming sites, etc and is meant to indicate that these are inventions/technologies that people use/participate in to waste time when they are supposed to be at work. productivity killers. you're on the clock but playing on the internet instead of working. make sense?

anyway, back to work. i am wasting time posting on this forum [tongue]

theetruscan
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I love when a forum on the internet manages to sound like a bunch of old men sitting around bitching about "back in my day ..."

DRRRK
10-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I love when a forum on the internet manages to sound like a bunch of old men sitting around bitching about "back in my day ..."

It is more "Is this the future" than "back in my day".

Hobo, I really enjoy "a good ruck" too. [thumbup]
This discussion had some strange parts and overall it went too far, because there was not really a reason for an argument.

genevieveryoko
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
All I have to say is that twitter is not nearly as bad as yelp...at least not yet...

Sorry, I just had to go there...and anyways, thanks for the "heated discussion," I learned a lot!

lowrey
10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Zamb, Mike, I love you both but this is getting silly. You are both missing the point by a mile and this is becoming like 'tag-team hobo wrestling', so I'm going to leave it at that...

whaa... missing the point, I directly responded to a comment you made...? I'm silly? [huh] tag teaming? I didn't even read zamb's post before replying! dude, you are very weird at this business of internet debates. [lol]

Fuuma
10-28-2009, 02:58 PM

Maybe but the re-reading of the Event to circumvent it to the social and a primer for the triumph of the consumerist, carefree 80s by preeminent "leftist" intellectuals (AKA turncoats) through mainstream media could, maybe, have been heavily criticized by alternative media.

Silk
10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I agree with everyone against twitter. It is an obvious fad that really is for the ADD generation as Faust said, its the same people who have to be on facebook and any other internet sensation when they aren't glued to their cell phones. We all know a person like that, when they aren't texting, emailing, or even talking on the phone they need to be posting random nonsense on twitter. Twitter will fade away when the next best thing comes along. Name someone intelligent who uses twitter meaningfully. Ok maybe there are some people, but not that I've seen. All I've seen is immature attention whoring rap artists, athletes and people who think they're important. Lts C hw stpd we cn typ n stl be lgble, lol . Seriously, who is so bored to go out of their way to decipher codes from "celebs" about their personal life? All the controversy it has caused supports my view, as people are already just sick of hearing about it and sick of the drama it can bring (professional athletes). I look at twitter supporters as attention whores who are riding the internet sensation wave, just waiting for the next fad to "promote" themselves. I won't be supporting anyone who uses twitter.

genevieveryoko
10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Thank you Silk! [thumbup] The only reason I log-in to facebook, for the most part, is to contact people whose phone numbers I don't have...As for twitter, everyone I know that has a twitter already has a blog, or a website...it's like pleeeeease did you really have to go there???? Virtual masturbation?

deleuze
10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Maybe but the re-reading of the Event to circumvent it to the social and a primer for the triumph of the consumerist, carefree 80s by preeminent "leftist" intellectuals (AKA turncoats) through mainstream media could, maybe, have been heavily criticized by alternative media.

Sure there is a democratic structure inherent in Twitter that you don't find in mass media but a readily accessible and inclusive alternative media has existed in some form or another since the advent of the internet. The only advantage Twitter has is that it is marketed through mass media! Also one can't ignore the hypersimulated nature of Twitter, it's organic impulse to form a hyperreality. The "text protests" during the Iran elections were fruitless simply because it was enough to announce it on Twitter. Sure there were people in the streets but for the most part it was a virtual mobilisation, a declaration of revolt, and that was enough to satiate their demands for justice.

galia
10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I only use twitter to find out about parties, and facebook mostly for the same as well as keeping in touch with people I don't see often

twitter allowed me to save a friend from sleeping on the sidewalk once, so it obviously has its uses

genevieveryoko
10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
maybe twitter has even saved a life? [suicide]

I won't be using it!

KM80
10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't use anything, cell phone, twitter, facebook, myspace, I don't care if anyone else does, that's their deal.

But now your fucking up a whole thread about pictures of clothing talking about it, and that's even worse.

I liked Maldoror's picture, always great to see him in here!

theetruscan
10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Errr, for those who weren't aware, twitter is an excellent notification/casual organizing system. My twitter feed is friends I meet up with often and stores that have flash sales. A twitter post saying "going to x at time y" saves a dozen phone calls or text messages or emails or whatever. Do I check twitter every 8 seconds or whatnot? No, I don't have time. But it is quite useful for me.

Sure, there's noise/chatter/nonsense, but twitter is an opt-in system. As I said before, people here seem to be blaming the medium for their inability to filter signal from noise. If you talk to every telephone salesman for an hour or sign up for twitter feeds from every famous person you've ever heard of, you're going to be wasting your time and wondering what happened. But it's your own fault.

I really don't see a reason to single out a medium because it can be abused. Considering mass-mailing, telephone salesmen/direct marketing, spam messages, prolific twitterers and all the rest, I see people who for whatever reason want to basically overload a medium. all mediums have ways of combating this. All mediums that attain any kind of popularity will end up with these people because it makes money.

EDIT: I continue to find Deleuze hopelessly off the mark in everything he says.

MoFiya
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow, didn't actually think my outfit would lead to such a epic long discussion but oh well...

lowrey
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I really don't see a reason to single out a medium because it can be abused.

I don't think this is necessarily the case, I personally am more critical towards the fad, not necessarily the medium.

seems like for some reason this criticism or dislike is being taken super literally. lets put it this way, for me at least it's the same as someone saying "I don't like television", rarely would it mean that they absolutely disapprove the entire use of it as medium and loathe whoever invented it. they just don't care about watching television. in other words, saying that TV is full of crap nowadays doesn't mean that it has never benefited anyone.

should all this discussion be moved to its own thread? its getting way off topic [blush]

merkuri
10-28-2009, 04:26 PM
twitter is a fad, like ipods and the motorized carriage.

stereophobic
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
One doesn't have to build such a narrow space around yourself, sure lots of people use Twitter and Facebook for the most inane and meaningless things, but isn't that the Internet since it's popularization? That's no reason or indication SOMEONE couldn't use it for something 'useful'.

Keep in touch with friends and family, find out what's happening in your town, immediately, TONIGHT, take a peek at what your favorite writer is up to. It's not all "immature attention whoring rap artists, athletes and people who think they're important".

The amount of generalizations and second-hand anecdotes brought up in the arguments made here against Twitter seems to me to smack more of a buying-in to a manufactured reality/opinion of the masses than the people who have cited their own personal experiences in defense of Twitter.

Vanna
10-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Interesting discussion; the thing about opinions is that they belong to the Individual, and a consensus based upon them is not a necessity, or required.

lowrey
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
end of moved posts

carry on [lol]

genevieveryoko
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I really don't see a reason to single out a medium because it can be abused.

I do. Some mediums are better than others: Facebook > myspace. No need to defend the different outlets you do or do not use, but it's just reality: some things are better than others - SZ for example is better than some other internet sites I use. Ok, Mr. Beuys, feel free to post a picture of what you are wearing today...nevermind, thanks Mike.

theetruscan
Should probably go in "culture."

dji
move this to culture perhaps ML? ;)

genevieveryoko
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Twitter discussion belongs in the culture thread...[tongue]

EDIT: you beat me to it dji...i must take a deep breath now.

Faust
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Lowrey for moving this.

munch
10-28-2009, 09:15 PM

http://i.imgur.com/6zjNO.jpg

something similar, not sure if it's faked but... it could happen!

Avyer
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Tapes? Really?

I see the value in vinyl. Cover art, nostalgia, coloration of music. But tapes...I guess it has it's own coloration, but I've yet to hear a tape that has what I would consider to be "good" quality, not to mention how vulnerable they are to pretty much anything.

And I'm really tired of the MP3 hate. Yes there is a reduction in sound quality, but really, there is no way in getting around usability, accessibility, and mobility that MP3s and the products designed for them have. (This coming from a person who usually has a crate of vinyl and my spare 1200-5 in my trunk).

hobo
10-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks, Lowrey for moving this.

How can you say that?

This debate needed incinerating not moving!!!

Faust
10-30-2009, 06:27 AM
How can you say that?

This debate needed incinerating not moving!!!

Be careful what you ask for [lol]

jcotteri
10-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Tapes? Really?

I see the value in vinyl. Cover art, nostalgia, coloration of music. But tapes...I guess it has it's own coloration, but I've yet to hear a tape that has what I would consider to be "good" quality, not to mention how vulnerable they are to pretty much anything.

And I'm really tired of the MP3 hate. Yes there is a reduction in sound quality, but really, there is no way in getting around usability, accessibility, and mobility that MP3s and the products designed for them have. (This coming from a person who usually has a crate of vinyl and my spare 1200-5 in my trunk).

tapes can have a lot of desired affects especially when mixing down, mastering, recording etc..

I see the reason... But yeh they all have their place.

just saying..

crate full of vinyl.. sounds like you're a serato user.

Avyer
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
tapes can have a lot of desired affects especially when mixing down, mastering, recording etc..

I see the reason... But yeh they all have their place.

just saying..

crate full of vinyl.. sounds like you're a serato user.

Yeah, I can see tapes for Mastering, but for a day to day use, I've just never had a good interaction with them.

And close, I used to, I use MixVibes now.

mrbeuys
10-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Twitter breaking news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8335793.stm

The end is nigh...

genevieveryoko
10-31-2009, 04:38 PM
yeah but the article also says he's bipolar...seems rather irresponsible to use such a medium if you are already mentally unstable.

Catfood
10-31-2009, 05:22 PM
yeah but the article also says he's bipolar...seems rather irresponsible to use such a medium if you are already mentally unstable.

Why is it irresponsible? It's not like the same thing couldn't happen in real life one way or another. I'm no expert on bipolar disorder, but I'd imagine that it would be a lot worse for people that suffer with it to cut themselves completely off from the world whenever they are having a depressive period.

genevieveryoko
10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
perhaps u are right, but on the otherhand in the article it said that the negative comments he was getting in response to his tweets were depressing him. did you read it?

stereophobic
10-31-2009, 05:39 PM
perhaps u are right, but on the otherhand in the article it said that the negative comments he was getting in response to his tweets were depressing him. did you read it?

It's silly and kind of sad that he should react that way to someone calling his tweets "boring" imho... we don't live on the set of 80s action movies.

genevieveryoko
10-31-2009, 05:56 PM
what's silly and sad is if people can't handle the repercussions of their own tweets...not sure if I blame twitter for this one or just people in general.

reality is complicated enough, why get too mixed up in virtual reality...?
my point is, if i had kids (i don't) i most certainly would not let them use twitter!

(not really hoping for anyone to comment any further on this...i'd have to agree with hobo this convo. should be incinerated! but if you need to say something i'll read it...)

lowrey
11-01-2009, 04:57 AM
the original discussion was kind of a wreck, but on the other hand the topic of these social networking mediums and their effect can be an interesting discussion point.. I don't know, perhaps we need to make this thread dissapear and start a new one if there is any interest? [rolleyes]

dolochov
11-01-2009, 09:22 AM
the crux of twitter which also applies accordingly for most of the web 2.0 pages is the bad influence it has on people's attention spans. Especially adolescents who excessively have frequented such pages lack the ability to smoothly read through a text of multiple pages without being distracted since they are only accustomed to short paragraphes.
It doesn't necessarily have this influence on everyone using web 2.0, but if your vast majority of reading takes place on the internet you'll likely unlearn to smoothly read a book for multiple hours of time, I sensed these bad side effects on myself as well.

Fade to Black
11-01-2009, 10:05 AM
re: genevieveryoko's comment - going by that assertion, anyone with the slightest sensitivity or imbalance should completely keep off the internet or any medium, face to face or virtual that would possibly expose them to any kind of confrontation or criticism or even the slightest knock the wind that would throw off a balance that can't be maintained anyway. Live and let learn...if somebody doesn't have the constitution to get back up after having been knocked down however many times then fuck it, what's the point anyway...

but ultimately yes, i can agree with the overall philosophy of your argument. There's enough pushing and shoving in day to day life, adding one more superfluous arena for such exposure might very well not be worth it.

Fade to Black
11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
just read that Stephen Fry article in full...heh, i remember an acquaintance of mine telling me he supported Twitter despite its vastness of garbage because of the occasional odd gem like Fry's stream. I'm no Stephen Fry, but that piece did bring a nostalgic smirk out of me, reminded me of myself from not too long ago.

genevieveryoko
11-01-2009, 11:13 AM
re: genevieveryoko's comment - going by that assertion, anyone with the slightest sensitivity or imbalance should completely keep off the internet or any medium, face to face or virtual that would possibly expose them to any kind of confrontation or criticism or even the slightest knock the wind that would throw off a balance that can't be maintained anyway. Live and let learn...if somebody doesn't have the constitution to get back up after having been knocked down however many times then fuck it, what's the point anyway...

I do suppose there is a difference between being thrown off balance (challenged, questioning your existence, etc.) and being clinically depressed. [tongue]

And there's a difference between getting thrown off balance virtually and in real life...I should like to think it's a lot more valuable to learn from these "knocks of wind" in real life than on twitter.

Agreed though, if you lack the constitution for it...fuck it - if you're an adult you must learn to wade knee deep through heaps of BS on the internet - I suppose it's the same with magazines and newspapers - but if you are a child, it is another story (as Dolochov already said).

Fade to Black
11-01-2009, 11:17 AM
yep, all good points...

Ironically, I used to have a roller coaster of a ride wading through the internet back when my real life was all still waters and chirping crickets. Nowadays I don't place as much currency in online discussions and intrigue as I did before but my real life situation is approaching a level of chaos on par with gimme shelter...

genevieveryoko
11-01-2009, 07:31 PM
the original discussion was kind of a wreck, but on the other hand the topic of these social networking mediums and their effect can be an interesting discussion point.. I don't know, perhaps we need to make this thread dissapear and start a new one if there is any interest? [rolleyes]

yes, it does have the potential to be interesting, and make an impact - for example, i'm going to go un-join y**p now. [smile]

munch
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
http://twitter.com/big_ben_clock

hobo
11-04-2009, 05:41 AM
Well, I suppose that being as I started this thread, I ought to contribute to it. Besides, it is getting quite interesting now that everyone has cooled it, a bit!

Twitter breaking news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8335793.stm

The end is nigh...

I think that this is more about Stephen than it is about Twitter. It's a shame that the media have to jump on the band wagon and make it about something that it isnít. Maybe they could have done a story about how social media affects people with problems, such as Stephen. I'm sure that he would have been happy to have taken part in it, as would many others who suffer from these disorders and want to bring them to the attention of the general public. But they took the easy root instead!!![suicide]

Speaking as someone who suffers 'the black dog', I can think of equally as many pros as cons. I think that the problem, like life, is probably a little more complicated than it may seem.

It's silly and kind of sad that he should react that way to someone calling his tweets "boring" imho... we don't live on the set of 80s action movies.

When you're suffering from depression, lots of silly things seem much, much worse that they are. If they didn't, he wouldn't have a problem.

what's silly and sad is if people can't handle the repercussions of their own tweets...not sure if I blame twitter for this one or just people in general.

reality is complicated enough, why get too mixed up in virtual reality...?
my point is, if i had kids (i don't) i most certainly would not let them use twitter!

(not really hoping for anyone to comment any further on this...i'd have to agree with hobo this convo. should be incinerated! but if you need to say something i'll read it...)

Although it is most definitely Stephen's problem, not Twitter's or anyone elseís, for that matter. I think that you'll find that he is not the one who went to the media with this story and is probably just as amazed as I am, that the media has made such a big deal about it.

I think that in a moment of depression, he said that he was done with Twitter and the media frenzy ensued! Obviously this is more important than the ratification of the European Union's Lisbon Treaty, or the 6 British soldiers who were shot in Afghanistan, by one of their own police trainees, yesterday, or the continuing relief efforts happening all over the region effected by the recent Indian Ocean tidal wave!!!

I think that the problem here is not Twitter, or Stephen's affliction. It's the media's desperation for a story that boosts ratings![wall]

Don't restart it, it's just starting to gain momentum![tongue]

the crux of twitter which also applies accordingly for most of the web 2.0 pages is the bad influence it has on people's attention spans. Especially adolescents who excessively have frequented such pages lack the ability to smoothly read through a text of multiple pages without being distracted since they are only accustomed to short paragraphes.
It doesn't necessarily have this influence on everyone using web 2.0, but if your vast majority of reading takes place on the internet you'll likely unlearn to smoothly read a book for multiple hours of time, I sensed these bad side effects on myself as well.

I'm not being sarcastic. I just thought that I'd clear that up before I asked the next question!

Is that just your theory, or has there been some study into this?

http://twitter.com/big_ben_clock

stoners are so predictable munch! this is more interesting:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5396122/yelp-fights-make-leap-to-real+world-violence-says-reviewer

EDIT: i just realized it's a clock, not a bong!

EDIT: i do not think this woman deserves to be in jail.

This is not a clock or a bong (or a stoner!). It's the bell which is housed in the bell tower which stands next to the Houses of Parliament, in Westminster.

I think that you're absolutely right about releasing her form jail. I mean isn't the right to inflict physical violence on anyone who disagrees with you, what made America great! What's wrong with these police arresting this woman, and for what, to protect his freedom of speech. I don't remember reading anything about that in the constitution. George W. (I don't mean Bush), will be turning in his grave!!![lol]

stereophobic
11-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Although it is most definitely Stephen's problem, not Twitter's or anyone else’s, for that matter. I think that you'll find that he is not the one who went to the media with this story and is probably just as amazed as I am, that the media has made such a big deal about it.

I think that in a moment of depression, he said that he was done with Twitter and the media frenzy ensued! Obviously this is more important than the ratification of the European Union's Lisbon Treaty, or the 6 British soldiers who were shot in Afghanistan, by one of their own police trainees, yesterday, or the continuing relief efforts happening all over the region effected by the recent Indian Ocean tidal wave!!!

I think that the problem here is not Twitter, or Stephen's affliction. It's the media's desperation for a story that boosts ratings!

Well, if you follow music news, even Trent Reznor quit Twitter... twice.

Fade to Black
11-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Speaking as someone who suffers 'the black dog', I can think of equally as many pros as cons. I think that the problem, like life, is probably a little more complicated than it may seem.

When you're suffering from depression, lots of silly things seem much, much worse that they are. If they didn't, he wouldn't have a problem.

as a kindred soul, +1 to both these statements and I applaud your openness. sadly there's too much information floating through these days and people only see and point out what they choose.

edit - did not mean my above statement as a dig at genevieveryoko, rather i was just commenting on general tendencies (guess it could be the media's if you unfortunately happen to become a public figure) to comment on surface appearances without understanding a possible mechanism behind it. Not saying anyone undergoing these things should use them as a crutch, but still some things are worth taking the time to understand a little better. The more you know...

hobo
11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Hobo, I love how you multi quote. That is exactly the problem. And the annoying thing about the article is that they quote someone who who basically says the same thing..."this story is not news" therefore contradicting themselves...if it's not news then why are you making it news? [suicide]

I hate how "witty" journalists these days can't seem to take a position on anything.

Of course I get the black dog every once in a while too...of course most of the people commenting on gawker have no compassion for the woman...hmmmm, let's see, a random bookstore owner vs. a random y***er, obviously i'll side with the bookstore owner.

Y**p for the record (in case anyone doesn't know) is not about freedom of speech - 2 out of the four reviews i ever wrote on there got flagged and removed...just clarifying...proud to say i work at a restaurant that refuses to display the sticker!

Hey, we're talking about a means of communication that I know nothing about, so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, and I do agree, I work in retail and I used to have a restaurant so I understand how frustrating these things can be, particularly if you're fighting for survival, as this woman appears to have been. But I also have to look at it objectively and I don't think that there is any excuse for using violence against someone because they said something that you don't like, no matter how justified you feel. If that were permissible, the biggest guy would always succeed, over the most informed argument, unless they happen to be one in the same! No matter how difficult it is and how wronged you feel, you have to fight back with logical, informed argument. If you do that, eventually you'll win... most of the time!

[EDIT] Unless youíve hurt my child or harassed my wife, in which case, Iíd say you probably ought to disregard everything that I just said and run!!![ninja]

lowrey
11-06-2009, 06:01 AM
I'd say its pretty much a lose - lose situation.

regardless of her intentions, she still apparently sent some hostile messages and dug up his adress, showing up at the guys doorstep claiming shes a neighbour, this is still pretty creepy. as for the guy, if he made up the story of her being hostile, thats pretty ridicilous as well.

lowrey
11-07-2009, 07:31 AM
and showing up at a strangers door sure beats e-threats [lol]

jcotteri
11-13-2009, 05:02 AM
in all seriousness this (http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays) is kinda funny

hobo
11-16-2009, 04:14 AM
/\ SWEEEEEET!

blacktulip
12-27-2013, 04:19 AM
https://twitter.com/MacliseYEAR