• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Midrange labels doing well?

This is truly baffling, especially the Hilfiger part. The rest I can write off as trendiness, and I am sure there are a 100 other midrange labels that are having their asses handed to them.

Link to the article.

'Affordable Luxury' Bucks the Crisis

By KATIE WEISMAN
    NEW YORK — Tommy Hilfiger just opened a 22,000-square-foot store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, a move that, in this economy, some might call insane.
    But the Hilfiger line, like many midrange designer brands, is growing, while other labels, notably at the high end, are struggling to hang on to market share.
    “We are positioned very well with accessible, affordable luxury and this is something we have been doing for 25 years,” the designer said last month during New York Fashion Week.
    Very well indeed. Sales of the Tommy Hilfiger Group, a unit of Apax Partners, a private equity investment group, rose 21 percent, to $1.6 billion, for the financial year that ended March 31, according to Fred Ghering, Hilfiger’s chief executive officer. Hilfiger sales for this financial year are expected to rise in the single digits, much less than in previous years, but they will still grow in a stagnant market. For the record, a Hilfiger cocktail dress sells for $450 and a camel hair coat goes for about $750.
    Brands like Tommy Hilfiger, D&G from Dolce & Gabbana, or Tory Burch, all selling below the luxury designer category, are growing now because they expanded or reorganized, repositioned collections or introduced new lucrative lines before the first signs of the recession.
    “There is this white space between major designer collections and contemporary lines,” said Robert Burke of Robert Burke Associates, the New York luxury consulting company. “Designers like Tory Burch, Phillip Lim and Alexander Wang are filling that gap. These collections provide their own great creativity at a great value.”
    This “white space” has, until now, been filled with what the American apparel industry calls “bridge collections,” where retail prices for a skirt range from about $250 to $400, and pants cost $175 to $250, Mr. Burke said. Brands have been moving in and out of this category as well as the “contemporary designer” range priced slightly higher, by either changing their price points or going out of business. This dynamic has created opportunities for creative international labels to move in and grab market share.
    D&G, the younger Dolce & Gabbana collection, is a great example of this market’s momentum, according to Karen Katz, president and chief executive of Neiman Marcus department stores, adding that it “has the creative DNA of Dolce & Gabbana” and good pricing.
    In 2006, the Dolce & Gabbana group brought the collection’s production inhouse, ending a license arrangement with Ittierre group of Italy. Since then, the collection has had average sales growth of more than 8 percent a year, reflecting its more sophisticated styling and fabrications. For the financial year that ended March 31, D&G sales were €706 million, or $1.04 billion, roughly 44 percent of the group’s revenue.
    As Mr. Burke noted, the Tory Burch line, founded by the New York socialite in 2004, also is succeeding because it has found its niche.
    “When I was researching my business plan, I came up with the idea of what was missing from the market. I wanted beautifully made but accessibly priced clothing,” Ms. Burch said. “Since I had worked in the business, I knew what kind of margins and markups were being made. I new that price was going to be a challenge.”
    One of her first steps was to hire Fiona Kotur Marin, who had helped start Old Navy and is an expert on producing in China. The Tory Burch collection is now produced through a group of factories, most of which are in China, a top factor in the collection’s prices. The average retail price of dresses from her fall 2009 collection is about $365, excluding two more elaborate evening gowns that were $1,250 and $1,695, respectively.
    The privately owned company will not disclose its revenue, but sales are expected to rise modestly this year to $200 million, thanks in part to increased wholesaling outside the United States.
    There also are companies that do not appear to be doing anything special, like Isabel Marant of France, and yet are growing at a healthy rate — more than 20 percent a year, according to Isabel Marant’s chief executive officer, Sophie Duruflé. Wholesale revenue for Isabel Marant and its secondary collection, Etoile, rose 29 percent last year, to €25 million, and they are expected to increase 35 percent this year, said Ms. Duruflé. Isabel Marant plans to open a store in New York’s SoHo area next year. The company owns three stores in Paris and two in Hong Kong with a local partner.
    Isabel Marant’s two collections are successful because they espouse Isabel Marant’s signature Parisian chic, are priced well and exude value, said Christine Chapellu, the women’s buying director for Le Bon Marché in Paris. The average retail price for an Isabel Marant dress is €390, and €200 at Etoile.
    Buyers are particularly vocal in their praise for such midrange lines.
    At Harvey Nichols in London, U.S. labels like Milly, Rebecca Taylor and Tory Burch have “performed really well” this fall, said Suzanne Pendlebury, the womenswear buyer. She noted that separates from brands like Vanessa Bruno from France, Diane Von Furstenberg, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Anglomania and the Danish labels Bruuns Bazaar and Malene Birger are seeing strong growth because “with these labels, rather than buying one expensive designer piece, you can afford to buy a few items that work together and produce different looks.”
    At Bon Marché, Ms. Chapellu said that contemporary labels like the Marant collections, Vanessa Bruno, Marni, Marni’s Summer and Winter Edition and Marc by Marc Jacobs have all sold well this fall.
    However, Ms. Chapellu stressed, price is not the sole driver for success. “You need the whole equation,” she said.
    Printemps, another iconic department store in Paris, is planning to shift more of its spending from luxury designer lines to these contemporary and bridge collections for the spring season, said Tancrède de Lalun, the general merchandise manager for womenswear and menswear. He did not disclose which brands would be favored.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

...this makes sense. A walk around Barneys or Neimans only proves they are shifting their focus from extreme highend to just highend...I guess its only a matter of time before Atelier starts an in-house label or carries diffusion lines.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Actually, I don't think it makes sense. Well, to be more precise, it makes sense on some level - people still want to buy into the idea of luxury, never mind that they are buying crap at inflated prices. Hence I can understand marc by marc jacobs. But it's the middle class that got hit the hardest in this recession and supposedly hunkered down. A $500 dress is still a really expensive proposition for most middle class people.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gerry
        • Feb 2008

I think it makes sense, too. More and more it seems to me that people just want to buy something "nice." I mean, come on, I know people that think BCBG is high fashion.

You have to remember you are talking about a group of people that bought into $300 plastic sunglasses... Maybe they're not buying the sunglasses or dress but they might be buying the $350 shoes on sale. From general observation a LOT of girls seem to have new Tory Burch ankle boots for fall...

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Actually, I don't think it makes sense. Well, to be more precise, it makes sense on some level - people still want to buy into the idea of luxury, never mind that they are buying crap at inflated prices. Hence I can understand marc by marc jacobs. But it's the middle class that got hit the hardest in this recession and supposedly hunkered down. A $500 dress is still a really expensive proposition for most middle class people.
          I think it's the upper (housewives of OC, heehee) and upper middle classes that are most affected by the economic down turn. When the value of your inflated yet highly prized property depreciates, or your 401K investments loose 1/2 their value, you're forced to rethink how you spend your available assets and still maintain your lifestyle. You may still want the new fall look, only you cannot buy at the same level you once were able...hence the trading down but not out...and lux retailers want to retain customers so they are introducting new pricing structures and or diffusion lines.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I don't think you are defining the upper classes right. These are not the people who rely on 401k. Maybe upper middle class. I think the more real explanation is that the huge expansion of the luxury sector this decade has been due to the middle class going on the aspirational consumption rampage, and now the bottom has been taken out of it. I don't think it's the rich getting poorer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• andyliu52
              • Aug 2009

whats middle class, like 100k+ a year? im sure they can afford one or two $500 dresses a year... and in better times when they expected a promotion or their investments were going up they could splurge and get a few $1000 dresses

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by andyliu52 View Post
                whats middle class, like 100k+ a year? im sure they can afford one or two $500 dresses a year... and in better times when they expected a promotion or their investments were going up they could splurge and get a few $1000 dresses
                I don't see how buying a dress once or twice a year supports 20-30% annual growth for these companies.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Apr 2009

I don't see how buying a dress once or twice a year supports 20-30% annual growth for these companies.
                  Whats fuelling the growth is the expansion into new markets: Middle East (Abu Dhabi), Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio), India, China etc.

Revenue streams that once never existed.
                  Originally posted by dji
                  don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• toulouse
                    • May 2009

I don't think you are defining the upper classes right. These are not the people who rely on 401k. Maybe upper middle class. I think the more real explanation is that the huge expansion of the luxury sector this decade has been due to the middle class going on the aspirational consumption rampage, and now the bottom has been taken out of it. I don't think it's the rich getting poorer.
                    You would be surprised how popular brands like Hilfiger are in different pockets of the US alone. I am not shocked by this.
                    @ quote post: Exactly right Faust. Off base assessment of class. Real housewives of OC are not close to upper class. And Tory Burch has accomplished what I abhor. She has made a line successful by building around branding and logo awareness. I think it was experiment. She did it beautifully. I hate the products and the idea behind but quite successful. Lead the calf wallets of the lambs to the slaughter.
                    ________
                    Suzuki GZ250
                    Last edited by toulouse; 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• reborn
                      • Aug 2008

I'm not terribly interested into getting into a discussion of economic class...the us census breaks it down:

Bottom 30% - < $22.5K
                      Middle 33% - $30 - 62.5K
                      Middle 20% - $35 - 55K
                      Top 25% - $77K and up
                      Top 5% - $167K and up

Most americans mis-identify as middle class when in fact they are upper middle class and most upper middle class mis-identify as middle class...There's also the problem of aspirational identification (think credit cards boosting buying power). I'm not an economist or a sociologist, but incomes >100K are easily not the standard in the US...especially when you step outside of major urban areas. Believe it or not, the local UPS driver in middle america is usually the highest paid person in his/her neighborhood.

As for the housewives of the OC, if you have a Amex black card, you are upper class...financially speaking (you may not have tact, but you have access to money). I mentioned 401Ks, but I should have included investment income. If your stock portfolio tanks >50%, you will be rethinking how you spend your available cash.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎