X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • christianef
    • Feb 2009

r.i.p. daul kim

daul kim -- model, blogger, muse, style icon -- takes her life.

Korean supermodel Daul Kim, who was regarded as one of the most beautiful models in the world, was found dead by French police in her Paris apartment, Thursday, her modeling agency Next Management said in a statement. She was 20 years old.

( i know faust isnt big on the model stuff so i apologize if this is out of place but i didnt see anything and thought it was worth mentioning.)
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

yes, saddened by the news. i feel the title of this thread could be worded a bit more discreet.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

May God Bless and comfort her family in this time of deep mourning and loss.
      I have a friend who lost her mother yesterday............... she Got the news while we were standing and having a conversation together.

I hate death, and I do not see it as any kind of escape, I do not want to die, ever....................
      I am always curious and perplexed by the complexities of human suffering, no matter what height of fame or accomplishment is achieved by the individual there is always persons who want to escape this life......................
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• christianef
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
        yes, saddened by the news. i feel the title of this thread could be worded a bit more discreet.
        sorry i didnt mean any disrespect, ive just been busy (out of the loop) lately and pretty much copied that verbatim as someone was telling me the news. though i didnt know her personally i have been in her company on several occasions and find this really disheartening. i happened to start to browse her blog just a few weeks ago and found it pretty amusing so the timing really caught me by shock.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
          sorry i didnt mean any disrespect, ive just been busy (out of the loop) lately and pretty much copied that verbatim as someone was telling me the news. though i didnt know her personally i have been in her company on several occasions and find this really disheartening. i happened to start to browse her blog just a few weeks ago and found it pretty amusing so the timing really caught me by shock.
          Christianef,
          it is still possible for you to edit the title of the thread, so you might want to consider that, even though i personally don't have a problem with it.....................

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

didn't know who she was until yesterday.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jcotteri
              • Jun 2008

^was there really any need to say that?

I found this news very saddening as well despite never meeting her nor really knowing anything more about her than various blogs including her own and other similar outlets. I am greatly saddened, my blessing goes out to her family and friends and everyone who knows her no matter the terms on which they did. I completely agree with you Zamb, I hate death and everything that goes along with it. I hope never to die, and I wish there could have been something that myself or anyone else to curb what happened. May she find solace where ever she is now : (

She was really is such a beautiful spirit and probably the only model thus far I could even come close to relating too at all, let alone as deeply as I did.. Such an unfortunate loss
              WTB: This

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

death is a natural part of life, it is nothing to be ashamed or afraid of. what troubles me about this and other cases like it is the self-activated, brief and undeserved halt to a life that had barely begun to enter the bloom phase. Suicide is regrettable, and whenever I read about it I always think there's more that the individual and also those around/close to them could have done, nobody deserves to go out like that.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
                  ^was there really any need to say that?

I found this news very saddening as well despite never meeting her nor really knowing anything more about her than various blogs including her own and other similar outlets. I am greatly saddened, my blessing goes out to her family and friends and everyone who knows her no matter the terms on which they did. I completely agree with you Zamb, I hate death and everything that goes along with it. I hope never to die, and I wish there could have been something that myself or anyone else to curb what happened. May she find solace where ever she is now : (

She was really is such a beautiful spirit and probably the only model thus far I could even come close to relating too at all, let alone as deeply as I did.. Such an unfortunate loss
                  No, of course not. I just find it bewildering that we cry over deaths of those who are somewhat famous while so many other people die of various causes every day and that does not register in us at all. Seems either disingenuous or silly, the way people get involved in lives (and deaths) of people they've never even met.

The only level I can comprehend this is that is somewhat truly talented dies and thus deprives the world of future creations. I don't mean to come off as coarse, I just don't understand while people do this. Moreover, that 99.9% of the people who cry today will move on tomorrow. They seem compelled to make a gesture of mourning out of some mysterious collective sense of duty.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                    death is a natural part of life, it is nothing to be ashamed or afraid of. what troubles me about this and other cases like it is the self-activated, brief and undeserved halt to a life that had barely begun to enter the bloom phase. Suicide is regrettable, and whenever I read about it I always think there's more that the individual and also those around/close to them could have done, nobody deserves to go out like that.
                    Death is not a natural part of life, it is actually the enemy of the living. It robs us of our vitality, our existence and the opportunity to realize out true and ultimate purpose...........It at times bring a loss so great such loss can never be replaced. Deep in our collective consciousness we know this, that's why there is even a reluctance at times to take the life of those who have committed crimes worthy of capital punishment, because in so doing we are siding with the enemy of mankind.
                    Whether you want to believe it or not, we were never meant to die, and will come to a point when we won't.

Suicide is the saddest kind of death because it symbolizes hopelessness, a loss of Joy and the will to live. It says to us who are looking on that "I am so sad, so depressed, my situation is so grave that I cannot stand the present and do not believe there will be a better tomorrow", so death becomes an (false) escape, because the individual now begins to believe that anything is better than the present, unbearable state of being. Sometimes those around don't really know, either because they were not paying close enough attention, or the individual does a good job of hiding the despair that would lead to such a decision as taking ones own life.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    No, of course not. I just find it bewildering that we cry over deaths of those who are somewhat famous while so many other people die of various causes every day and that does not register in us at all. Seems either disingenuous or silly, the way people get involved in lives (and deaths) of people they've never even met.

The only level I can comprehend this is that is somewhat truly talented dies and thus deprives the world of future creations. I don't mean to come off as coarse, I just don't understand while people do this. Moreover, that 99.9% of the people who cry today will move on tomorrow. They seem compelled to make a gesture of mourning out of some mysterious collective sense of duty.
                    there may be some truth to this, but I think it is deeper than that, personally I don't feel as great a loss for people I don't know than those that I do, but i still feel something, if only because it reminds me of my own mortality, and reminds me of a family that will now go through a kind of grief that cannot be put into words, when I lost my Father last year, even though there was a part of me that was happy because, there was a kind of closure to his suffering of four years, I felt feelings of sorrow and loss that I cannot articulate into words................. no family should ever have to go through that. I look forward to the world to come where human suffering, pain and death will cease to exist.

Yes they will move on because deep inside us as humans there is a strength of character, and a will that is greater than any adversity, that can be thrown at us.
                    and I don't think you sound coarse because I perfectly understand your position.
                    Last edited by zamb; 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• almroth
                      • Jul 2008

this really saddened me when I got to hear it. she had a lot of character, and was a very intelligent girl. I heard the reason was a broken heart.

Comment

• jcotteri
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

If this was directed at me (amongst others), then:

Well firstly I'm not one of the people that said,

"ohh this is sad, I only heard about you yesterday in the press but I'm sorry that you died".

Though I agree and find it silly and pointless, and as seems to have been popularised of late "disingenuous", if you actually don't know the person or have made no connection other than reading a headline. On the other hand I actually had some kind of connection with her, whether it's virtual or not is of no significance. I will only feel the need to mourn if I have this connection with someone and of course If I know of their death. I can see how this may seem strange to someone, "how could you build any connection with out meeting or speaking", but it's just the way I function along with many others.

I think it has become quite common these days... that people build relationships virtually. I usually find most forms of virtual contact that people have as extremely impersonal, emotionless and detached (Facebook for example), but then again it's just easy (also it's not always the case).. Which is why I put as little effort into this form of communication as I feel necessary. A forum such as this can also be impersonal but I feel that it isn't so all the time. Maybe this forum gets too personal sometimes actually .

I guess the anonymity of the Internet allows people to give condolence, grieve or whatever, without really knowing the person.. The reason why, well who knows.. Perhaps attention or perhaps as you said, "they feel compelled".

The other person whose death greatly troubled me was Charlie Cooper of Telefon Tel Aviv.. This was a great loss as well, as I made connection with this person as well but in another way. Through the music he created, which can be one of the most power forms of anonymous connection, as viewed when Michael Jackson passed away.

I am as affected by this today as I will be tomorrow, and the next day and the following week. I will think about this in the future as well, I will be sad then too. No matter.

I guess I have kinda skittered around what you said, but I'm just giving my personal reasons.

Still though you coming into this thread and saying

"didn't know who she was until yesterday."

Isn't this just the same kind of banter that you're referring to? If you didn't know her until you saw a headline or however you found out about her, then why bother commenting?

Comment

• lotek01
                          • Aug 2009

Yeah agree with jcotteri. She's not exactly famous or a celebrity, and I'm not especially saddened or affected by Daul's death due to her being a "public" figure, but because she is just a really cool person and there are many people who do feel a connection to her from her blog and presence, online or otherwise. I do know her by association though never met personally.

That said, being affected by someone passing away is a personal thing, it's just whether you felt a connection to that person in his/her life or death. There ARE plenty of people who die daily and we can't afford to mourn for them all, just those whom we resonate with... so a lot of these arguments about whether people deserve to be mourned or not is senseless imo.

Also, it is the circumstances of her death that are especially unsettling, especially if you've read her blog. It's indicative of a much bigger sociocultural problem.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Point well taken, jcotteri. But I hoped my post answered your question about why I bothered.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jcotteri
                              • Jun 2008

I am satisfied thankyou ( :

edit : I think *scratches head

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰