• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

LVMH settles a suit with New Balance

Nice to see LVMH take it up the ass on the copyright infringement front for once.

From WWD

"LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton said Wednesday it had discontinued a sneaker design at the center of a trademark infringement lawsuit brought this year by New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc.

In a joint statement, the two companies said the suit had been dismissed. Representatives for both LVMH and New Balance said they would not comment beyond the statement, which made no mention of a financial settlement.

New Balance filed its trademark complaint in September in U.S. District Court in its home city of Boston. The company alleged the Louis Vuitton Minstrel sneaker design bore too close a resemblance to its own 574 model, a simple all-gray trainer it has sold since the mid-Nineties.

The suit created something of a role reversal for LVMH, which is typically on the offensive end of trademark and copyright disputes. In fact, in court papers New Balance cited the luxury brand’s high profile as a particular concern.

“Louis Vuitton’s superior marketing ability and fame is likely to lead to reverse confusion because some relevant consumers will come to associate the 574 design with Louis Vuitton, not New Balance,” lawyers for the sneaker firm wrote.

On Wednesday, Michael Pantalony, LVMH’s North American director of civil enforcement, called the resolution amicable, while his counterpart at New Balance said both firms might work together to address trademark issues in the future.

Ed Haddad, vice president of intellectual property for New Balance, said, “Based on our experience in resolving this issue and understanding what we both share in protecting intellectual property, we now hope to explore joining forces with Louis Vuitton in certain anticounterfeiting initiatives.”
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

well,
    they owe CdG, among other companies a lot of money!
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ronin
      Banned
      • Dec 2009

It's indeed nice to see LV in the defendant's shoes. New Balance is a visible enough company to be credible against LV, although not big enough to have a chance to win against them, that's probably why they called if off.

This reminds me of the World Tricot vs Chanel trial I read about on FashionMag, in which the small company accused their former client of counterfeiting one of their designs - latest article here. Well you can't compare both situations, but it was also unusual to see a big name like Chanel being accused of counterfeiting. In the end, the small house lost the trial and had to pay a compensation for spoiling Chanel's image. At least, this case publicly raised the question of relation between luxury companies and their subcontractors.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      "...some relevant consumers will come to associate the 574 design with Louis Vuitton, not New Balance"...
      Now that's some serious prejudice to New Balance in terms of image, but I doubt it will cause financial prejudice, many consumers being more likely to buy the 574 sneakers thinking they are 'LV knockoffs'.

Comment

• mensmetals09
        • Dec 2009

Indeed its a unique piece.. I must think to own one... I have a huge collection.. but still i always in search on newer one... I have find the place for this in my collection..

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

zboss!
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Lucky Strike
            • Apr 2009

Weird that they filed a trademark complaint when it was about copyright (?) Or am I missing something here?

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎