• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Theory appoints N.Takizawa as menswear designer at Helmut Lang

Holy shit. Now only to find out what "global sizing" means.

TOKYO — Starting from the fall collection, Link Theory Holdings Co. Ltd. has appointed former Issey Miyake designer Naoki Takizawa to design Helmut Lang’s men’s wear line.

“I’ve been a fan of Helmut Lang since the Eighties, so I approached president and chief executive Ricky Sasaki, who is an old neighborhood friend of mine, directly,” the designer said. “Helmut Lang is a ground-breaking brand that introduced a new kind of men’s style pairing T-shirts, jeans and middle-gauge knits with jackets. The brand is primarily worn by independent men who prefer a minimal style. Drawing from the brand’s heritage but also incorporating current fits, global sizing and my knowledge of materials and textiles, I want to address a void in the contemporary market.”

The brand was acquired by Theory from Prada in 2006, after founder Helmut Lang had already left the label. It made a second deb ut under the husband-and-wife design team of Michael and Nicole Colovos, founders and former designers of the denim brand Habitual.

“Now the ladies’ line is going very well, but the men’s has slowed down a little. Michael and Nicole concentrated on ladies’, so we appointed Takizawa, who understands the true nature of the men’s line and Helmut Lang’s history. We want to continue moving forward while also referencing the brand’s DNA,” said Sasaki.

Currently, annual sales of this brand are around 2 billion yen, or $214.7 million at current exchange.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • drexl
    • Sep 2006

Here's a couple of pics from the collection. Not sure how to feel about this, but I guess this is closer to what Helmut put out than what the Colovos' did.

Comment

• metin
      • Dec 2008

This feels like MMM-lite. Or some kind of mash-up between Theory, Helmut Lang, and Raf.

Comment

• jogu
        • Jun 2009

good friend and old drummer in me band is a manager at lang in smell a , when he told me bout this last week he said he noticed that almost all the sizes were shrunk , like xxs , xs small etc

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by metin View Post
          This feels like MMM-lite. Or some kind of mash-up between Theory, Helmut Lang, and Raf.
          Seriously. Not feeling this at all.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
            • Apr 2008

And helmut continues to laugh. They have struggled so much since reindroducing the line... nothing about the mens has ever worked at point of sale, and this continues a long stream of dissapointments.
            every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• laughed
              • Jul 2009

man, i don't get it....i mean, this guy has talent, what in the heck? so boring. good lord. i can't believe that there are plenty of independent designers that make much better collections than this...and this is Helmut Lang for godsakes. What's with all the color anyway?

Comment

• metin
                • Dec 2008

What I think is a real shame is that Takizawa is clearly is capable, he's just been put in a really silly position. They should really just discontinue the line and just launch this as a separate label or something.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

This is indeed an odd pairing of bedfellows. Given the fabrics, techniques and structure I'm used to seeing from Takizawa, this doesn't click at all on any level. That aqua coat is probably the most NT thing I see in there.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎