X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nathaliew817
    • Sep 2014

Cheap or expensive layering tops?

I was wondering if everyone here wears RO and Julius layering tops?
    I don't. I have one RO tank, but I don't wear it under my sweaters.

I know it doesn't follow the aesthetic, but I rather spend $$$ on a jacket or sweater(top layer) than a basic rib tank.

What are your thoughts about this? Is this 'faking it'?
    And what brands do you buy for basic tanks?
    V A N II T A S
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

I used to buy sheer long sleeves and tanks from a French brand stupidly named American Vintage. They have a webstore, not sure if they ship internationally. Their tunic lengths were quite similar to RO but at a fraction of the price, and with a wider neckline, which I find more flattering. If you don't want to spend big bucks on basics, this is what I'd suggest.

Comment

• voltbird
      • Feb 2014

I operate under the assumption that the tanks and tees in my closet will at some point be worn in isolation, mostly because of the horrific heat and humidity we get in the summer months! So I try to stick with RO tanks since I don't mind my bra showing through

Although lately I'm growing tired of poaching Rick tanks on the secondhand market and have been wondering about the $25 Everlane tops. I was gifted one of their silk blouses and am happy with it, so maybe it's worth a shot?

Comment

• ahn
        • Jul 2012

I wear layering tanks almost every day; I wear them til they fall apart or get holes, so I give no fucks and purchase the cheapest most basic ones available from places like K-mart or H&M. Maybe if I spent more than $10 on a layering tank it wouldn't fall apart. I just can't justify spending $150+ each when I have about 8-10 tanks in my drawer I rotate through constantly. Also the rick tanks ARE an odd shape at the neck - which I love if worn as the top layer - but they don't fit nicely under most of my other garments and I prefer my necklines unobstructed most of the time.

Over time I've managed to find justification in upgrading most things in my life to that of better quality - but I think when it comes to basic everyday underwear/undergarments I just cheap out. Even when I do rarely buy nicer undergarments (not to be confused with actual lingerie which I consider in a different category) I still fall back on my cheap stuff because I feel like I have to 'save' the nice stuff for a better occasion? It's weird. All about that $5 black cotton boyshorts and $10 black cotton tanks life.
        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• nathaliew817
          • Sep 2014

Glad I'm not the only one Ahn!
          We mostly have rain and winter here in Belgium. Maybe one week's worth of 30° when RO tanks are wearable on their own :(

Thanks for the tips, I'm loving Everlane though, no nonsense basics. Never heard of them.
          V A N II T A S

Comment

• wildinthewoods
            • Feb 2014

I have a very small chest and don't wear bras, instead I wear layering tanks everyday. I have a few nicer designer ones for summer, but most of them are no name tanks I've purchased second hand mostly at army surplus stores or at thrift stores, because I love the feel of ultrasoft old falling apart cotton. I wear mine until they fall entirely apart. My favorite one is a no tag see through black cotton jersey I found while thrifting when I was in high school over a decade ago. It's covered in holes and I've mended it a million times, I wear at least once every laundry cycle. I think it's fine to not spend much money on underwear/undergarments (I don't think I have really bought more than a few pairs of socks or regular underwear my whole life because my mother always gets me some for christmas, haha)

Comment

• ahn
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by galia View Post
              I used to buy sheer long sleeves and tanks from a French brand stupidly named American Vintage. They have a webstore, not sure if they ship internationally. Their tunic lengths were quite similar to RO but at a fraction of the price, and with a wider neckline, which I find more flattering. If you don't want to spend big bucks on basics, this is what I'd suggest.
              I really like the look of these tanks! They don't ship to Australia unfortunately but they have several stockists that do... but none of them have the black tank I like in my size!! So cruel.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                I really like the look of these tanks! They don't ship to Australia unfortunately but they have several stockists that do... but none of them have the black tank I like in my size!! So cruel.
                I can proxy if you want. PM me

Comment

• ahn
                  • Jul 2012

I can proxy if you want. PM me
                  Oh thank you!
                  I found one online stockist that had the Los Angeles Tank in a small, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't prefer an xs since I generally like my base layers to be quite fitted.

I'm waiting for it to arrive to see how the fit is, but then I'll probably get in touch to grab a couple more! :)

Comment

• amandaluuuuu
                    • Sep 2015

This is an interesting topic
                    I was wondering a lot about the necessity of expensive layering top at the first place.
                    I wear layering tank basically everyday. I own some Rick tanks and wear them a lot just because I'm in love with the colours from Rick layering tops and the material, even tho different a bit from each other but feels very nice.
                    But i only have few of them and wear the same pieces over and over again. I don't think it's much of a big deal tho :P
                    But yeah like voltbird said, it's pretty exhausting looking for them in 2nd market or going through shit tons of websites looking for sales. Cuz spending few hundreds on a thin layering of tanktop is just such a pain.
                    If you're looking for good prices on Rick tank, Spenceclothing always have couple nice ones on sale for good prices.
                    Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.

Comment

• ahn
                      • Jul 2012

I ended up picking up a couple more American Vintage tanks from the store in Paris while we were there last month for PFW - thanks so much for the recommendation galia! These are such a great affordable alternative - plus I really like that I can wear a normal bra/bralette underneath as the neckline/straps are normal.

Having said that - the Base Range 'X' Bra is almost the very best bralette I've found that exists in the marketplace to fit underneath the Rick tanks... it's not completely perfect as you do still see a tiny bit of strap on the front but it's very very close in cut. And the mushroom Base Range bra colour compliments the dust/dark dust colour-ways of the tanks really nicely.

I'd love to go braless in these tanks but they're just so sheer, even double layered...

Comment

• Nickefuge
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by FashionObsessed
                        Oh I am totally down for cheap tank tops. I won't spend more than $3. Putting the money into a nice jacket is definitely the way to go
                        Please tell us about your favorite H&M tank tops and where to get coupons for Zara and Primark.
                        "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                        -Paris Hilton

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

and let's not forget the human cost of tank tops that retail at the price of 2 cans of coke

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

and let's not forget the human cost of tank tops that retail at the price of 2 cans of coke
                            Always buy tank tops that cost at least 2 grams of coke, much more ethical pricing.
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

#consumerethics

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡