X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

My cynical self can't help but wonder if it was McQueen's death that's been attracting crowds of gawkers (especially in light of the wedding dress). I somehow doubt all those people are fans of his work. I went to see it twice - once with the public and it wasn't pretty.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
      • Jul 2008

Even if it is attracting crowds of gawkers for the wrong reasons I cannot believe anyone leaves the exhibit untouched , unquestioning and just awestruck at the genius that existed in him and around us. The final collection (devolution?) reads like a suicide note , sad but beautiful!

And ....How awesome are the Guido Palau masks!

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I don't know about that. I've heard several comments from the Juicy/flip-flop crowd along the lines "That would look good ON ME"
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MonaDahl
          • Sep 2008

That's probably the most common issue with exhibiting clothing of any provenance, though - people don't want to think critically about clothes, and they don't.

Comment

• 1972projects
            • Mar 2010

McQueen and Menswear

Like most people on here, I've not been to the exhibition: the book is wonderful, mainly due to Solve Sundsbo's exquisite photography - though more analysis would have been welcome (but I'm sure this is just the start of McQueen's appraisal): it was a pity there wasn't any mention made of McQueen's menswear over the years though . .

ALTER EGO: McQueen and Menswear http://1972projects.blogspot.com/201...-menswear.html

Comment

• DamageX
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              My cynical self can't help but wonder if it was McQueen's death that's been attracting crowds of gawkers
              That's what I was thinking when I went to see the exhibit a few weeks ago. From the comments I overheard it seemed as though most people couldn't see the artistry present in McQueens designs and were confused "why is this such a deal?, who would wear any of this".

For those who haven't had a chance to see it, I highly recommend going. Overall I think they did a terrific job.

Comment

• Vanna
                • May 2008

I wanted to shoot myself in the face every time someone mentioned Lady GaGa.

All in all it was really well done. Could have done without some things, but the presentation was lovely.
                Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                  I wanted to shoot myself in the face every time someone mentioned Lady GaGa.

All in all it was really well done. Could have done without some things, but the presentation was lovely.
                  You mean 99% of the audience? I wish they never made that stupid fucking wedding dress, maybe it would keep some of these bubble-gum chewers out of the museum.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

wow what is this elitist bull i'm reading? At least these people went to a museum instead of sitting at home watching jersey shore. geez.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                      wow what is this elitist bull i'm reading? At least these people went to a museum instead of sitting at home watching jersey shore. geez.
                      You are a fucking idiot if you think those people care about McQueen's work - to them it's the same thing as Jersey Shore - entertainment. Talk about bullshit, you are full of it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

I think it's less McQueen's death that's attracting the masses, or the wedding dress (which I thought was the most un-McQueen like thing ever to be commissioned, truth be told), and more because they've been running a piece about the exhibit on Nonstop New York for weeks now – which repeats practically every other day.

Along with the gaggle of clueless tourists that've caught wind of it off the tellies in their hotel rooms, I'm sure plenty of gum-chewing dimwits from right here in good ol' NYC saw it and thought it'd be a trippy thing to go check out, especially since admission is free. They allow everyone in, whether you pay the museum's 20-buck suggested "donation" – or not.
                        sain't

Comment

• messenoire
                          • Nov 2009

do you think the exhibit would be packed nearly every day and cost $50 on mondays if mcqueen was still alive? do you think the exhibit would have even happened if mcqueen was still alive? the body & breadth of work would still be there irregardless of his untimely demise & but my question is would everyone have celebrated him so ferverously without his fashion martyrdom? it just seems like a spectacle to be celebrated by those outside of his work and people who know the name moreso than his career and contributions to fashion and it's treated, as faust said, merely as entertainment.

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

i will be in nyc sunday - monday evening and i wanted to try to goto this sunday but i know it's closing day. will it still be open?

Comment

• whitney
                              • Dec 2009

i would call and ask, i went unplanned and it was about mid morning and got in and drooled around no problem.

i agree kate's dress looked nothing like mcqueen would make but kate commissioned it to be made.. and sarah herself said she will go a slightly different level of, then mcqueen himself. not as extreme i guess..time will show.

i would have gone regardless of whether he was alive or dead. (i'm trying to rack in my mind whether this much of his work has been shown in a public, non-show, way; at once..its over series of years..decade..in one place..awesome..not sure if this would have been done when he was alive) but i think the fact that he's dead.. makes me sad to see his work rather then happy..i mean its still gorgeous and the work placed into it can't be captured in 2d but.. its almost like a double edge sword you can't have the ability to imagine, produce, create such works of art without having parts of those come from within you. not quite sure how to explain it.

anyways i hope you get a chance to see it messenorie, a lot of the work is not behind glass or rope..you can be close enough to touch it.. not that i did..even when the security wasn't looking..was so tempted but somehow i'm afraid of the cookie syndrome where once its in your hands you don't want to let go.
                              you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                                i will be in nyc sunday - monday evening and i wanted to try to goto this sunday but i know it's closing day. will it still be open?
                                just in time for you

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎