Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raw
    • Oct 2009

Amazing work Albert! Agree with everyone about the elephant leather, although a darker elephant would have been nicer , a darker shade of grey.

Love the card holder, but sadly I don't use separate card holders. Would be great if you did a classic bi-fold wallet with the Horween leather.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Raw View Post
      Amazing work Albert! Agree with everyone about the elephant leather, although a darker elephant would have been nicer , a darker shade of grey.

Love the card holder, but sadly I don't use separate card holders. Would be great if you did a classic bi-fold wallet with the Horween leather.
      I've been using the card holder instead of a wallet (my elephant one) ever since I finished the design. The way I constructed it, it holds multiple cards easily (and I constructed the asymmetric "cut outs" not only to make it easier to remove cards but also so that your ID card images are visible still without removing them) and a few bills folded.

I too would have loved a darker elephant leather but this is vintage elephant skin over 1/2 a century old and it is what it is. I do have a few pieces of hide that are a darker gray (what was used for the 1st iteration wallets) but the only piece large enough to construct a jacket was this really lovely lighter gray with all kinds of tones within it. With wear, these minimally treated hides will darken.

It is not noted on the description sheets (only on the price sheets not posted) but the vintage elephant jacket is 1 of 1, size 50 (fits a 48-50). No more material remains to construct another one ever.

Recently I've used some of the darker gray elephant as bar tape for my all-black single speed bike :)
      The shell cordovan is quite thick and the plates are very small and oval shaped. A bi-fold wallet would be more difficult to construct and use because it would generate some bulk potentially... not to mention the price would be increased exponentially unfortunately. The same amount of cordovan would be needed to make 1 wallet as it would to make one derby or less than 1 singular boot.
      Last edited by Chinorlz; 03-14-2011, 02:16 AM.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by surver View Post
        no no no i didn't mean to insinuate that you're 'going corporate' ;P it's just perhaps that your friend just does not carry off the right vibe for your designs as well as you do, that's all.
        hehe no worries :) I understand ya. I think Sergio did a great job bringing about the feel of the collection and putting the clothes into its own context. Plus I'm not in shape enough to be shirtless at the moment hahaha

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

all of the leather pieces are outstanding. it looks like you were very discriminating with the skins. no cheap shit here haha. highly detailed design on the jackets including thoughtful patternwork with attention paid to the interior as well as the exterior and an excellent fit. top notch. the bag looks sick and the belts and wallets are looking great as well. to me they look more polished or "finished" than before. very professional. albert is an impressive guy.
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cowsareforeating
            • Jan 2011

wow they're gorgeous. i for one usually do not like dogtags and i think those have sold me ;)

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

Alot of great looking garments.

I'm particularly impressed with the anatomic LS shirts. Impressive.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Thank you all again for the kind words!

If people have questions in regards to pricing of the current collection they can PM me as well.

I will be adding some experimentation/design images in the discussion thread later on this weekend as well.

Comment

• christianef
                  • Feb 2009

conceptually some neat ideas though i feel they kind of outweigh what you're actually left looking like. subtract the back story and 110 year old magnets and i dont find this especially stong aesthetically. know u put a lot of work into it and where your focus is so not trying to undermine that and it doesnt look bad at all...just wish all the intriguing ideas would translate into an equally intriguing looking collection.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                    conceptually some neat ideas though i feel they kind of outweigh what you're actually left looking like. subtract the back story and 110 year old magnets and i dont find this especially stong aesthetically. know u put a lot of work into it and where your focus is so not trying to undermine that and it doesnt look bad at all...just wish all the intriguing ideas would translate into an equally intriguing looking collection.
                    Thank you for your opinion and thoughts. Just like in benchwork research though, often times to reach a seemingly simple endpoint you have to develop a process that may not have been as straightforward as planned.

It surprised me just how much work and development had to go into pieces such as the lines of motion shirts with the pattern creation (as each shirt is made of 3 pieces of fabric) as well as utmost attention paid to fabric tension to ensure that not only do the hems and collars roll the way intended but that on the interior, the seam allowances roll appropriately to flatten the seams.

The pieces were each a process and a journey for me; exploring materials, history and construction/design with none being more focused on than any other. I learned a lot while creating this third iteration.

PS- There are no 110 year old magnets in this collection

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

PS- There are no 110 year old magnets in this collection

That's what happens when you read with an intent to pan something without trying to understand or appreciate what is being presented.

The Collection is not perfect, but it is great. to be honest I don't necessarily like the model. but the model and the clothes are two different things and I can differentiate between the two and see that the pieces are great within themselves.

I think that everything must be seen and taken in context. For someone who is in the advanced stages of medical studies to find the time and the passion to do the research, in terms of design, fabric sourcing and make every effort to put together these pieces using the highest quality materials...................your work has to be respected.

There are a ton of designers out there working everyday who does not put out the kind of work you do, and they have more time and resources at their disposal.

In everything, doubters and naysayers will always exist.
                      All I'm gonna say is: Keep up the good work my friend and I will be saving up some for that weekender bag and a few scarves later this year!
                      Wont be giving only lip service. my wallet will talk too
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Mikevigar
                        • Jan 2010

I stumbled across a previous lookbook a year or two years ago (or even three??) which had a much greater focus on accessories compared to clothing. Lots of pieces that wrapped around the wrist and hand - looked fantastic. I'm interested to know why the focus has shifted much more towards clothing from what I can see and whether you still plan to produce a range of earthy man jewellery?

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

thats what happens when you're making a joke about how you have to READ the back story (which many wont ever get around to doing) in order to appreciate how something LOOKS. i know its hard when your approach is so scienetific to let some of the math speak for itself just think you should be a bit careful where the emphesis is at this point. what blew everyobody away about dior homme when they first saw it - it looked badass. and that builds the intrigue for the back story and inspiration for this and that. ccp upon first glance looks savage and some times vile (in a good way) and has equally savage and vile ideas behind it. Ann - really beautiful clothes and a really beautiful story. experimenting is cool and i like the artisanal approach but the result here kind of looks like ma+ for GAP.

Comment

• michael_kard
                            • Oct 2010

Christianef, I generally agree with you about the importance of how things look when it comes to clothing but I'll just say I don't think what you're describing is the case here.
                            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                              thats what happens when you're making a joke about how you have to READ the back story (which many wont ever get around to doing) in order to appreciate how something LOOKS. i know its hard when your approach is so scienetific to let some of the math speak for itself just think you should be a bit careful where the emphesis is at this point. what blew everyobody away about dior homme when they first saw it - it looked badass. and that builds the intrigue for the back story and inspiration for this and that. ccp upon first glance looks savage and some times vile (in a good way) and has equally savage and vile ideas behind it. Ann - really beautiful clothes and a really beautiful story. experimenting is cool and i like the artisanal approach but the result here kind of looks like ma+ for GAP.

you are one..............how can you speak for the many?
                              and no, Dior Homme didn't look bad ass it looked Androgynous...
                              sometimes I like your bluntness, but there is a tinge of negativity in your approach to seeing things that bothers me. its almost as if you ignore the good in this and make every effort to pontificate about what you perceive to be bad.
                              I would love to see some of your work in some kind of medium, cause since you are so aesthetically grand, you should be regarded as a god in your field...........

Anyways, this thread is for the discussion of Albert's work not for a verbal cyber fisticuffs with you.
                              and for the record, some of it is better than some MA+, you can put that in your pipe and smoke it all the way to rehab
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• christianef
                                • Feb 2009

oops didnt mean to sound so negative. like i said it doesnt look bad at all and i repect all the research and hard work he is putting into this.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎