Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Band Merchandise

Default Band Merchandise

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for such a thread, as it seems to cross over between Fashion, Culture and Design.

Basically, irrespective of the quality of the bands themselves, what are some merch designs you appreciate?

Here is one of my favourites (Converge - Jane Doe):

I have a feeling many of the members come from a background where band merch have been a central part. I hade a huge collection when I was a kid - but everythings gone now, worn out or so. I have some Sonic Youth tee and tee's from bands I've played in for just hanging around.

Heirloom

I'm extremely picky about my band shirts. I don't like text on clothing, but I can handle graphics

this is one that i wear regularly. awesome band, awesome album, awesome coverart.

then of course i've had a bunch of björk t-shirts with the symbol "odd duck" on them

i'm yet to find a bandshirt where cut, fabric, band and graphics synchronize though. It's hard enough to find a nice enough BLANK tshirt, even more so with the right band and the right graphic on it.

The Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine tee, of course :-). I still sometimes thinking of getting one (I was living in another country during the PHM times), but then all the midlife crisis thoughts start coming to mind.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

When I was younger I used to make my own, focusing on 90's hardcore bands. I used to scan record covers, get tshirts from Zara and then give everything to a local printer. If you really want to have a special band t-shirt, that's the way to go. My favorites were Honeywell and Indian Summer. Nowadays I wear Death, Bone Awl and The Sisters of Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heirloom View Post
    i'm yet to find a bandshirt where cut, fabric, band and graphics synchronize though. It's hard enough to find a nice enough BLANK tshirt, even more so with the right band and the right graphic on it.
    That's true, not many bands are genuinely interested in their clothing merch, they just email a graphic to the producer. On a side note, my favorite piece of merchandise is a t-shirt from the Barbier-Mueller museum in Barcelona - it is produced by a local company, the fabric is cotton/hemp and it's been object-dyed and washed. It fits great and looks amazing, and you can tell that someone really cared about their design and production.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Of course this one is a little bit overplayed by various store chains selling them, but it's a classic!

And I actually bought this not long ago perfect for lazy summerdays with beer and friends.

My summer festival t-shirt...before I stopped wearing text/big graphics on tees...

I've always liked the style that came out of the early 80's UK political punk scene (Southern Records, etc...)

I have all but one of the concert shirts I've purchased over the past 25+ years, but I rarely wear or buy concert shirts these days. I prefer the shirts that don't have the band name printed on them or are a simple one color print. I may have to buy a PJ Harvey shirt when I see her in NYC.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

I do love my shirts in black and white.
    This is probably my next purchase:

Integrity? Seriously?
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

The only band shirts I wear are my SOM and Crass. SOM is a hand me down from the 90s hence the amazing vintage and distressed look.

And my Crass is a DIY.

only one band t-shirt for me, and the only one that matters.

from hp's '96 tour. made from the finest quality "fruit of the loom" cotton tops . i believe overstocks are still available from siltbreeze. overstocks of dead c t-shirts from the 90s with graphics designed by michael morley are available as well.

speaking of which, i need this on a t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by BrettChaotix View Post
    I've always liked the style that came out of the early 80's UK political punk scene
    i used to wear rudimentary peni and flux of pink indians t-shirts. self-made of course. crass records churned out some of the most unique and iconic imageries of the time (and beyond).
    Last edited by klangspiel; 03-25-2011 at 04:09 AM.

merz, I actually thought about that outfit when I posted - but I didn't remember which Swans tee it was.

In the essence of merch, Gardar Eide Einarsson, a norwegian artist who have a solo exhibit here in Stockholm now called Power has a fragrance. He's made a limited run of tee's with a print of one of the pieces in the show.

That Goo t-shirt is classic.

This My Bloody Valentine t-shirt is object dyed. Each one is different. (Colour is darker in reality, less contrast)

And a DIY one (wanted a white one and no boring album sleeve shirt)

Last edited by DRRRK; 03-25-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heirloom View Post
    this is one that i wear regularly. awesome band, awesome album, awesome coverart.
    this is actually pretty cool. and I haven't heard anyone mention Autechre in ages, I'm not a fan per se but remember listening to them years ago.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by klangspiel View Post
    speaking of which, i need this on a t-shirt

if you want to be faithful to the trans-braxtonian time space, you'd better print it on an old man cardigan

Heirloom

Quote Originally Posted by lowrey View Post
    this is actually pretty cool. and I haven't heard anyone mention Authecre in ages, I'm not a fan per se but remember listening to them years ago.
    i saw them a year ago, and it's definetly one of my greatest cultural experiences ever. This t-shirt was bought the same evening. i love it so much, both because of the fantastic concert, but also because i shared it with my brother. our musical tastes overlap with autechre and aphex twin :) See on See is the best song from Oversteps. listen to it.