Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine washing and drying a leather jacket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comedyzen
    • May 2009

Machine washing and drying a leather jacket.

So I picked up a Rick, reversed lamb, Scuba leather from 07 at a very good price but it came with a god awful smell like some leather treatment gone bad. So I had it pro cleaned and that got rid of 65% of the smell. It was also tagged as an XL and a tad loose on me. So I called Arthur at The Archive and he suggested I machine wash it then run it through the dryer to shrink it (and I hoped it would kick the smell). I had it professionally cleaned for around $70, but the smell still lingered a tad.

So instead of sending it to cleaners for another round, I rolled the dice and threw it in the washer then dryer....and to my joy, it worked. Smell is out but it shrank a tad too small, the good news is that after some wear, it stretched out to fit. FYI, the leather is suede like and thick.

So I recently picked up another 07/08 Rick leather and want to do the same thing. But this cost much more and it is hammered lamb that is thinner than the Suba and has treatment on it. But I want to clean it since it is used and wouldn't mind some shrinkage. I came across this:

And wondered if anyone tried this with a higher grade RO leather?

If I do machine wash the high collar, I plan on taking pics and measurements but I really do not want to risk ruining this beauty of a jacket. But would love to hear from anyone who has done it.
    Last edited by comedyzen; 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM.
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

I have no advice, but I'd love to see pics of the jacket you've already washed & dried.

Frankly, washing it would scare me enough...let alone machine washing it. Drying it in the dryer...eek! Kudos to you for the 'nads.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• diorowen
      • Aug 2010

as said in Blackbird, washing it will actually take away the finishes.

personally I tried washing leather before, but not with machine washer, and not throwing it in the dryer.
      I handwash it carefully just to remove the dirt. afterward, I just lay it to dry. takes around 1 week to dry, but its ok.
      the result is the same as what you got, shrinkage, and color become dull. :).

as for your hammered lamb, I don't recommend to throw it to washing machine. I am not sure about what will happen, but imagining the thin leather spinning around in the washing machine. I cant definetely hold my tear. haha.
      moreover the treatment will most likely fade due to the washing machine method.
      so if there is no other option, maybe carefull handwash is a better alternative, while personally I suggest just bring it to leather expert to get it cleaned.
      still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• mike
        • Dec 2006

ugh
        im so tempted to do this to my margiela
        but im weary because it is by the far the most expensive piece of clothing i have ever bought and i just got it
        it fits decent as is, but the shoulders are too large and it throws off everything else (i never thought a 44 would be too big!)
        its pretty thick deer leather, but it is already treated and super soft...
        would washing/drying it do the trick?

Comment

• diorowen
          • Aug 2010

^. erm, when I said shrink, its every part of them shrink. so you may can't fit in anymore after you shrink it, if everything else is correct, except the shoulder.

so I would suggest you to actually try to bring it to tailor first.
          let they see, some of them can actually shorten the width of the shoulder.
          cost more of course, and it didnt guarantee you get the exact stuff you want, because tailoring the shoulder will completely change the jacket silhouette.
          but, just ask them. they may know what you need to do :)
          still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• mike
            • Dec 2006

it would be great if it shrunk everywhere by 1 inch!
            is this possible? approximately how much will it shrink from the dryer?

i dont want to tailor it as im sure it will ruin the fit.

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

It is a 2007 XL so it fit like a US 42/EU 52 slim side. Fit a little loose at the pits and shoulders. As mentioned, fit snug post wash n dry, but I wore it while it was still a tad wet (threw it in dryer for about 20 minutes, was told this is how to get the shrink on) and managed to stretch it out. I want to guesstimate that the sleeves shrank almost an inch.

I decided to NOT try this with my recently acquired "Rick's jacket." The previous owner tailored down the sleeves a tad...so the arms slightly stack, barely. I fear that the sleeves will shrink too short if I wash...otherwise, it would've been done already. Tempted to hand wash in hot water but not submerge the sleeves....maybe.
              Last edited by comedyzen; 06-19-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• mike
                • Dec 2006

i dunno this sounds too good to be true
                did you condition the leather at all afterwards?
                pictures would be greatly appreciated.
                also, what settings did you use on the washer and dryer?
                i wonder what the difference in results are when comparing the washer/dryer method with the one posted on blackbird...

Comment

• comedyzen
                  • May 2009

Yes, took the jacket in and had the entire jacket conditioned. I used HOT water on GENTLE cycle then threw it in the dryer on medium heat. The jacket was flipped inside out the whole time and zipped. I will try to post pics later, but I did find the original measurements from the sale post.

Pre-Wash Measurements
                  Shoulders from seam to seam: 44cm
                  Armpit to armpit: 53cm
                  Sleeves: 80cm
                  Total length, from base of collar to hem: 66cm

Armpit: 52.50cm
                  Sleeves: 68cm
                  Length: 62cm

Hmmmmm, I did notice significant shrinkage on the sleeves, but 12 cm seems like too much. I wonder if he got the measurement wrong.
                  Last edited by comedyzen; 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                    • Jan 2011

i wouldnt suggest drying it.
                    high quality (full grain leather) can actually handle water pretty well, especially if you take the time to condition it afterwards and let it fully dry.

from what i hear, lamb does this washing thing the best

Comment

• AlecjustAlec
                      • Mar 2011

Leather jacket washing

This is a great post..thanks to all. I live in Connecticut, the land of throw away $ clothes. Found a Yohji Yamamoto full length canvas coat for 10 bucks at a thrift store....AND a new with tags $2k ZegnaSport leather bike jacket never worn for $45. It is nice but super straight in line and look almost boring but beautiful soft leather. A little big...so I thought about washing it to get a better wrinkled and bashed street look. Sooo I love all this washing info...Hopefully I can post after wash pics...A

Comment

• sargon97
                        • Jan 2009

Thinking out loud....Wonder what RO oiled calf would do if hand soaked and air dried. Anyone try it?

Comment

• quiet noise
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2008

when people talk about appying leather balsam/conditioner after wash, does that mean you do it while it is still wet, before you put it in the dryer?

Comment

• docus
                            • Dec 2010

People here are far braver than me. I've heard of the handwashing method, which I've never tried but which sounds reasonably gentle. But I would personally never dare put a leather in the washing machine or the tumble dryer - surely it could damage it and it might shrink way too much?!

Re leather conditioner - I've heard (but again never tried myself) that in L'Eclaireur they use Nivea on the leathers to condition them - sounds bizarre, can anyone confirm?? Not sure why they would need to do this.

Comment

• pseudonym
                              • Jun 2009

I too have experimented with this.

Shrinkage totally depends on the leather.

My Rick leather barely shrank at all, machine wash and light dry.

A Margiela jacket that I had shrank over 1 full size in the same process.

If you put it on while it is still wet, it will mould to your body quite nicely. But you do have to keep in mind the length (and sleeve length), that will not stretch back out.

I would honestly only recommend this if it is really big everywhere, and too long in the sleeves...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎