Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine washing and drying a leather jacket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wiggles
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
    and the conclusion to the story is?
    ah yes - had to leave you in suspense for a little. the conclusion was that i'm not as big a fool as i thought i was! the jacket came out great! it shrank a solid amount (not as much as i'd like, but it's a good size now so i'll actually wear it). i was really surprised it kept the softness after everything - the leather never got hard at all, and the processing (blistering) wasn't affected at all. i'll post measurements/pics to compare in a little.

extremely happy i did it - just like you said, it's like finding 2.5 grand in my dryer.

Comment

• eton97
      • Dec 2008

Wiggled. Chuffed for you buddy. It's a great feeling to bring an expensive jacket back to life. Maybe the 60 degree machine wahni did had the realmimpact on shrinkage. I think It shrank a whole size down.

The breaks. Same reason as you. Lost a bit of weight and been shifting some of the bigger sized pants I own. Just wasn't willing to sell the fencing for a eur1500 loss. And bloody glad I didn't.

Nice one boyz.
      you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• mw000
        • Jan 2009

I finally did my NB buffalo and it turned out perfectly. Shrunk it about 1 size. It all went down proportionally as well.

The last two jackets I threw in the wash lost a lot of the sheen. I conditioned them afterward but they are still quite a bit more matte.

For the NB I flipped it inside out, ran it under hot water until it was soaked, threw it into a pillow case and tied it up. Threw it in the dryer on max until it was dry.

It lost a little bit of the shininess, but not too much which is what I wanted.

Comment

• Wiggles
          • Sep 2008

thanks, eton! without you i'd still be aggravated - helping the masses one thread at a time. also wanted to second eton and the breaks, bought it a while back and lost enough weight to make it 2 sizes too big. it's still a little larger than i'd like, but it's small enough to wear and not feel like a fool.

just threw my other leather - "darkness" calf stooges, size m - into the dryer after doing a hot water hand wash. i noticed the leather took on the most beautiful color and texture when it was soaking in the tub. this great grey/eggplant color - just gorgeous. interested to see what color(s) it is when it's done. feeling much less stressed this time through, much more excited.

edit: i also expected this jacket to bleed more dye, since it's blackish and all. oddly enough it just turned the water in the rub a very, very slight yellow. that mean anything to anyone? maybe it's just sweaty from wear haha

Comment

• comedyzen
            • May 2009

I realized I mentioned, but didn't stress the fact that the washer I used was a front loader....which means there is no center spool that churns the clothes like top loading models. I assume all others in this thread did the same? Wouldn't want to risk tearing or excessive wrinkling of the leather via top loader.

Comment

• the breaks
              • Sep 2007

yea front loader here
              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

Front loader
                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

Comment

• mw000
                    • Jan 2009

Yes front loader as well. Miele to be exact. It has a lot of settings but I had it at:

Wash- normal/hot/high spin
                    Dry- sturdy/very dry

Didn't use any soap during the wash cycle. I tried to put other soft items like towels in with the dry cycle to absorb impact. I had the jacket in a pillow case tied up which prevented the hardware from hitting the machine too much.

The weight and impact sometimes caused the machine to make a warning stop

Comment

• Wiggles
                      • Sep 2008

i have a toploader, but i don't think you actually have to machine wash your leather. i just throw mine in a bathtub of hot (and i mean hot) water, then squeeze out as much water as possible, and then throw it into the dryer. works well for me and causes less anxiety.

also an update on my stooges: came out fantastic. was a size m, now it's definitely a size s, bordering on xs. perfect. wavy zips and all. only downside was that an old tear i had fixed opened back up - easy fix though, brought it back in and they're repairing it for no charge. can't wait to get it back in a few days.

Comment

• mw000
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
                        i have a toploader, but i don't think you actually have to machine wash your leather. i just throw mine in a bathtub of hot (and i mean hot) water, then squeeze out as much water as possible, and then throw it into the dryer. works well for me and causes less anxiety.

also an update on my stooges: came out fantastic. was a size m, now it's definitely a size s, bordering on xs. perfect. wavy zips and all. only downside was that an old tear i had fixed opened back up - easy fix though, brought it back in and they're repairing it for no charge. can't wait to get it back in a few days.

I found that hot water under the tub faucet gave a better effect than a full wash cycle.

With a full wash cycle the leather came out too matte. Hand soaking inside out was gentler on the finishing.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                          • Oct 2009

Has anybody ever washed an ma+ soft calf leather shirt to shrink it?
                          Experiences? As easy as all the leather jacket washing?
                          Any help is much appreciated!
                          Thanks!
                          "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• seenmy
                            • May 2009

might just wear my fencing in the shower on full heat,I have fear about the machine wash, and the shower is how I always treated raw denim.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                              • Oct 2009

We want a full documentation!!! :-)
                              "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• BBSCCP
                                • Feb 2010

^^ tape under the shower

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡