Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I WASHED MY CCP FENCING LEATHER....DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRRRK
    • Aug 2009

Don't know what to make of the washing instructions of my derbies, so thanks for trying. I won't do it with shoes now.

The leather definitely looks better than before. On question though, can you still close it? The gap between the two sides of the zipper looks pretty wide.

Comment

• eton97
      • Dec 2008

I heard a story about somebody doing it to a pair of derbies that ended up being given to aterlier for their window display as they ended up like bricks.
      I think because KALB is relatively thin, you can get away with it.....i would not for example ever consider washing the horse classic.....

I can do it up and will post a pic - bloody tight, but I sometimes feel its a bit 'too' statement done all the way up, and as its a lighter weight and therefore spring/summer jacket, i wanted to wear it undone and relaxed with just a t-shirt...thats why i bought it...also this will eventually loosen up like all leathers and will mold perfectly to my shape

In its old form, open looked (i felt) silly and felt way too big - it did the jacket no justice...now its perfect.

Also I had a big issue with the flared arms, which have now shrunk to a perfect narrow cylinders

Done up it is no tighter than my 09 horse classic, and thats another i prefer to wear open...
      you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

washing leather jackets isnt as difficult as you might think, and it really wont damage the leather too much,

pure water is fine on leather, even in a washing machine, the objective is to avoid soaps or of you want to use soap use a really mild liquid detergent and very little of it. this is so because the dye might react with the soap to create some unsightly streaks and discoloration on the leather, but water will not affect the dye that much.

yes, shrinkage is indeed a problem with washing leathers, but one trick is to wait til the garment is about 90% dry and wear it around for a couple of hours so as to limit the shrinkage because it will stretch while wet, but next to impossible when dry............you also get some really interesting ripples in the leather by doing this

I have been experimenting alotwith washing treatments, especially this season..............

Good for you Eton, im all for personalizing ones clothing regardless of the cost
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• eton97
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
          yes, shrinkage is indeed a problem with washing leathers, but one trick is to wait til the garment is about 90% dry and wear it around for a couple of hours so as to limit the shrinkage because it will stretch while wet, but next to impossible when dry............you also get some really interesting ripples in the leather by doing this
          cheers Zamb - interesting to read a professional opinion.

its funny you say that about wet vs dry - when i took it out of the machine i actually tried it on and thought nothing had happened...in fact it was even bigger than when i put it in...

Once i'd stuffed it with paper, i didn't touch it again until the front was baked dry and then i could feel how much the shrinking skin had compressed the paper stuffing.....

I really enjoyed the experiment once i'd got it in my head the the leather was ruined anyway.....but doing the washing/stuffing/drying/polishing makes you feel part of the jacket in a strange kind of way - i can imagine thats whats makes designers love their work

Comment

• nahneun
            • Feb 2011

you are a true baller. i could never risk ruining such an expensive piece :[

Comment

• eton97
              • Dec 2008

But a eur4000 jacket is worthless if you always pick another to wear. Or only wear it as a 'I don't mind if it gets ruined' option

So not quite so baller in that light

Comment

• BrettChaotix
                • Nov 2007

This gives me the courage to consider an attempt to wash my CCP boots in hopes I can get them just a hair tighter in the upper area.

Comment

• nahneun
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                  But a eur4000 jacket is worthless if you always pick another to wear. Or only wear it as a 'I don't mind if it gets ruined' option

So not quite so baller in that light
                  only a true baller can think this way ;)

Comment

• chomeo
                    • Mar 2010

Cheers to a succesful attempt D.!

The jacket would've turn looking like that after a year of hard use. You've just accelerated it a bit. Awesome!

Comment

• eton97
                      • Dec 2008

it would never have shrunk a size.....

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                        it would never have shrunk a size.....
                        Why should it?!? Never heard of jackets of any kind getting smaller from heavy wear!
                        "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

a ballsy baller

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

looks good but the flap looks a bit bacony

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

so the kalb leather is really just terrible. is that the consensus?
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

well, depends what you're looking for. is very smooooth

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎