Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Scarves

  1. #1

    Default Scarves

    with the crisp air outside i'm starting to wear my scarves again, so bear with me i have a couple of questions i'm curious about:

    how do you display your scarves? right now i have them in sight, hanging on pegs, it makes it easy to choose, but i have cats and they think that my most expensive ones make the best toys. i'm wondering about a wood cubby kind of thing for them that i could install similar to built ins.

    shawls or scarves or both, together...? i've done this.
    i love big wool shawls, often instead of a coat and then i wear a smaller scarf as an accessory. scarves have become a seasonal purchase for me. do you have favorites that get worn year after year or do most women add each year?

    lastly, plain, graphic prints or florals, what do women on this board mostly wear? my three favorites are a long, wool warm scarf from label under construction, a black/burgundy/grey block print from dries and most recently lost and found's polaroid version.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kuugaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Shanghai/Australia
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    ^ That is actually pretty clever and cool. Although maybe a bit too meticulously organised that you may give off the wrong impression of being ocd. Maybe it won't work for large wool scarves as well.

    I organize my scarves in the same way that a lot of stores do theirs, which is to roll them up into balls. It's fast and easy once you get the hang of it and looks good. When it comes to the cats though...hmmm...

  3. #3

    Default

    Right now I simply store my scarves in a box. Keeps the dust off, and the kitties out. I think I'm going to start hanging them in my wardrobe, scarves are too nice to hide away.

    I generally only wear plain scarves, but I do have a black and white chiffon scarf which is quite cool, as well as a grey-blue spider web one. Florals can get tacky and granny like pretty easily, so I tend to steer clear.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kuugaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Shanghai/Australia
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    ^ I generally agree as well but I think that floral scarves are okay if done right. Which in my opinion is with a muted tone/dark outfit using it as a stand out piece in the ensemble. Or if the floral design itself isn't so flamboyant, as a lot normally are...with like 100 different highlighter colors.

    We males can't pull it off nearly as easily as you ladies can, so don't let it go to waste!

  5. #5

    Default

    The beautiful patterns and colors like the Dries van Noten scarves are great with a black outfit ! With colors it is more tricky, but I've seen beautiful examples of it done right.

    Jonif, that picture is a great idea ! I don't have that much scarves though, but I'll keep it in mind. I store them in a week-end bag (so I don't waste space) with gloves too.
    What I've worn the most last year was a big black wool collar scarf, very warm.

    I have some lighter and more colorful scarves for summer too, but nothing too silky that would wrinkle, so I put them all in the bag.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuugaia View Post
    ^ I generally agree as well but I think that floral scarves are okay if done right. Which in my opinion is with a muted tone/dark outfit using it as a stand out piece in the ensemble. Or if the floral design itself isn't so flamboyant, as a lot normally are...with like 100 different highlighter colors.

    We males can't pull it off nearly as easily as you ladies can, so don't let it go to waste!
    but when you do we look better than the lades ;)

    one thing i'm jealous of.

  7. #7

    Default

    Scarves are a staple in San Francisco, where you never know when it's going to get chilly. The more variety the better. Our favorites right now are lightweight cashmere scarves by non-traditional designers such as Avant Toi, If Six Was Nine, Julius, and Mojo Risin'. Check out Downtown's assortment here.


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoniF View Post
    Just an idea I thought was interesting (not my picture)
    Oh wow about that pic- I just have a drawer for my scarves: the wool ones are folded, the silky ones just thrown over the wool ones. I have a couple of antique, handmade lace scarves, too.. one of which I was very pointedly instructed never to store away folded.

    So this little old Spanish lady selling me a 100 year-old widow's lace shawl -
    A: wouldn't pull it off the display for me to look at (or touch) until I had paid for it (!) and
    B: took it off my hands, scrunched it into a loose ball, and pointedly told me to store it that way and occasionally rework it if I hadn't worn it after a few months. She was so serious about it, too cute!! lol

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    Oh wow about that pic- I just have a drawer for my scarves: the wool ones are folded, the silky ones just thrown over the wool ones. I have a couple of antique, handmade lace scarves, too.. one of which I was very pointedly instructed never to store away folded.

    So this little old Spanish lady selling me a 100 year-old widow's lace shawl -
    A: wouldn't pull it off the display for me to look at (or touch) until I had paid for it (!) and
    B: took it off my hands, scrunched it into a loose ball, and pointedly told me to store it that way and occasionally rework it if I hadn't worn it after a few months. She was so serious about it, too cute!! lol
    Cute is one word you could use...

    I do know that with things like tents (bear with me), they tell you never to store them folded, because the crease will eventually create a weak point in the fabric, especially of repeatedly folded along the same lines...maybe the same rule applies here?
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Cute is one word you could use...

    I do know that with things like tents (bear with me), they tell you never to store them folded, because the crease will eventually create a weak point in the fabric, especially of repeatedly folded along the same lines...maybe the same rule applies here?
    Yeah, probably!! My theory (with zero scientific basis, lol) was that the fibers would probably lose their elasticity in time, therefore making them prone to breaking when harshly folded. With really ancient clothes you can often see damage at the edges/corners of the folds they had when stored. But then again, they were 100% natural materials, nothing of an elastic (synthetic) fiber to help it along.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowofadoubt View Post
    As a chale or as a hoodie
    what? stop shitting up every thread with inane nonsense.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •