• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
    I think you're over thinking it man. lowrey hit it head on. it's all irony...
    That's what I thought, too, until I interviewed K-Hole, and it's exactly the hole that K-Hole has to dig themselves out of, because they totally did not mean it ironically and the whole point was to get away from hipster irony and more specifically the geeky nature of hipsterdom (I am into the insert-obscure-shit-here) that has increasingly divides them into micro-tribes and thus contributes to their own alienation.

Having said that, if this thing ever does take off it will exactly be in the form of hipster co-optation with its inherent irony.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• schuur
      • Oct 2013

i thought sz would be the one place you could escape this garbage "trend" and avoid giving these retarded bloggers free ad money from the drivel they spew. guess not.

Comment

• newp
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        This norm crap seems to be these hipster kids attempting to dress as stereotypically pedestrian and generic as possible (regardless of what some trendcaster hacks apparently attempted to coin with it - see Daxed link above). They are putting effort into looking like a person who puts zero effort into how they dress, which is actually what some "ironic" hipsters at least around here have been doing for a long time.
        Yes, this is what they imply by saying "we dress normcore". Spot on.

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        What I think you are referring to is an understated and minimal style which doesn't necessarily stand out and can look very simple. but I don't think this has anything to do with the aforementioned. Maybe someone who doesn't care at all about style or fashion can look at one of these hipsters in mom jeans or someone wearing LUC and think both look boring (I guess this is what you mean?), but otherwise comparing the two seems kind of far fetched..
        You are right. It's looking normal (not ironically normal, not shitty normal, not walmart-tier-normal, just normal), but luxurious in terms of composition, distressing, small details, overall construction and so on.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by schuur View Post
          i thought sz would be the one place you could escape this garbage "trend" and avoid giving these retarded bloggers free ad money from the drivel they spew. guess not.
          On the contrary, I think we should discuss it. We are already an insular and narrow enough community. I'd rather talk about this than what Rick has in his bathroom.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I'd rather talk about this than what Rick has in his bathroom.
            Aesop, cashmere and concrete - in case anyone was wondering.
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kunk75
              Banned
              • May 2008

it would seem the teva-wearing, augusta national polo shirt clad dads who pick up their kids at school when I am there are at the forefront of fashion.

While on the topic, I think sketchers are the best indicator someone has no aesthetic sense or personal taste. I would never crap on someone whose finances don't allow for choice but i live in one of the wealthiest communities in ny (no I don't sound like an asshole at all :/) and the number of people wearing the devil's footwear is astounding. I mean at least go full bore and buy some cheap nike or new balance. Sketchers tell me you don't manscape, clean your ears, exercise, you like top 40, you read best sellers and you watch nbc. It's like wearing an 80s tee shirt that says I don't give a fuck.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by schuur View Post
                On the contrary, I think we should discuss it. We are already an insular and narrow enough community. I'd rather talk about this than what Rick has in his bathroom.
                I'm surprised myself that this topic gained this much traction here, any more than things like limited edition New Balance sneakers or whatever is a clothing interest unrelated to SZ. But really, I see nothing different about it from the hipster status quo, except that enough time has passed that they are mining the 90s instead of the 70s/80s.

If it can even be considered a real trend, I rather like it. It makes my own fashion statement stand that much stronger. You try to look like you're not trying through irony? Well I'm not afraid of trying and showing that I am, I'm not a coward and can take the heat.
                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                  what about that rock crystal toilet? not happening?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    I know.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                      I'm surprised myself that this topic gained this much traction here, any more than things like limited edition New Balance sneakers or whatever is a clothing interest unrelated to SZ. But really, I see nothing different about it from the hipster status quo, except that enough time has passed that they are mining the 90s instead of the 70s/80s.

If it can even be considered a real trend, I rather like it. It makes my own fashion statement stand that much stronger. You try to look like you're not trying through irony? Well I'm not afraid of trying and showing that I am, I'm not a coward and can take the heat.
                      Good lord, did 'y'all even read what I wrote?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• messenoire
                        • Nov 2009

i feel like this is the correct venue for discussion of all things fashion related through the objective lens of sz because the lot of sz'ers are relatively like-minded in our narrow views which in my mind keeps things on track during discussions. rarely do discussions ever stray too far and i attribute this to the insular nature of the board. if half of the board were posting dolce & gabana shows and discussing half of the shit that plasters other boards (re:i dont give a big F about streetwear) and the other have ma+ i probably wouldnt enjoy this place so much.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Of course. I am saying that sometimes it seems that our scope becomes too narrow.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

I didn't realise it at the time, since I didn't know what he looked like until a random google search threw up a pic of him just now, but I saw Dirk Schonberger last week on the metro in Paris wearing enormous Rick sneaks. He looked good it has to be said. Apart from his sneaks obvs.:)

Also saw the Dries exhibition - very nice - would recommend.

Comment

• e0d9n0b5
                              • Dec 2013

got caught in the rain in my yang li suit, and now the trousers are terribly speckled/faded from the rain. seems like the dye is very easy to fade. i sort of like it though, since its supposed to look sort of trashy, with the raw edges etc.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                I didn't realise it at the time, since I didn't know what he looked like until a random google search threw up a pic of him just now, but I saw Dirk Schonberger last week on the metro in Paris wearing enormous Rick sneaks. He looked good it has to be said. Apart from his sneaks obvs.:)

Also saw the Dries exhibition - very nice - would recommend.
                                Can't wait to see the Dries exhibit!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎