X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlassOrganelle
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post
    It's pretty understandable that fashion is much about debauchery, folly of vanity and satan, but since when photo shoots in mainstream magazines got really fucking creepy? lol

Since recently looking more closely at the challenges and difficiencies faced when trying to legally address it, I'm all for raising awareness of domestic violence, even if it is glamourised like this in a mainstream magazine. "fucking creepy" is really an understatement and an insult to those who are subject to such abuse.

Comment

• eleven crows
      • Mar 2011

Cool your jets. If anything this looks to be playing off Giallo films.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
        • Jul 2013

Semi-related to this thread... has Rakuten changed their search algorithms or something? "Song for the mute" returned over 34,000 searches in "men's fashion." Similar things are occurring for other brands too where completely unrelated brands are popping up.

Comment

• Verdandi
          • Mar 2012

What's gross is Sozzani trying to capitalize by relating an editorial that draws its inspiration from japanese Horror films (the cover tagline is 'cinematic', the video) to domestic violence. It looks like she saw what Meisel came up with and added the hot topic (even in Italy, and thank the heavens for that) 'domestic violence' to the mix in hope for some press. Wouldn't be the first time she has done it.
          lavender menace

Comment

• ahn
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
            Well, it is "random fashion thoughts". Unwashed had a thought, posted. No more banal than mine was, further up the page.

Although I suppose that same logic then justifies your reply, doesn't it? Carry on.

Oh, and an actual random fashion thought: what do people feel about hand-made/artisanal shoes where the shoemaker deliberately leaves bits of glue and so on? Seems a thing some like to do so as to show the hand-made character, like with PH and his irregular stitching/irregular cutting of the sole. I'm not sold on it, myself. Seen some Layer-0 boots that seem to have it, among others. ED footwear probably has it too, considering how her shoes look, I haven't handled them enough to notice.
            I feel the same way about jewellery I see where the maker has left polishing compound on the metal, or exposed seams in metal that didn't get enough solder (or lumps where there was too much solder).

I had a teacher who would leave the sprues on her pieces as 'evidence' of their process. But 'evidence' was an important fixture in her work. To hear it in this light, it can be poetic.

But I see enough 'evidence' on pieces that leaves me wondering how much is poetry and how much is just lazy - or worse - uneducated.

Obviously these brands you mention, ED, PH, Layer-0, they're absolutely not uneducated - so you have to hope that the glues or the irregular cutting doesn't effect the functionality of the work, that it's an aesthetic device rooted in genuine process. And then it's simply a case of whether you like it visually or not, because the quality is the same either way.

Being confident that the visual device is of no compromise to the workmanship, I would like it I think, provided it is genuine. Adding in glue where none squeezed out, that's a waste. If an artist is to leave 'evidence' it should be real and not manufactured for effect.
            some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• 550BC
              • Jan 2013

ahn well said
              a fish out of water dies

Comment

• SuE
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
                Semi-related to this thread... has Rakuten changed their search algorithms or something? "Song for the mute" returned over 34,000 searches in "men's fashion." Similar things are occurring for other brands too where completely unrelated brands are popping up.
                Use fromjapan's item search instead
                One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                  I feel the same way about jewellery I see where the maker has left polishing compound on the metal, or exposed seams in metal that didn't get enough solder (or lumps where there was too much solder).

I had a teacher who would leave the sprues on her pieces as 'evidence' of their process. But 'evidence' was an important fixture in her work. To hear it in this light, it can be poetic.

But I see enough 'evidence' on pieces that leaves me wondering how much is poetry and how much is just lazy - or worse - uneducated.

Obviously these brands you mention, ED, PH, Layer-0, they're absolutely not uneducated - so you have to hope that the glues or the irregular cutting doesn't effect the functionality of the work, that it's an aesthetic device rooted in genuine process. And then it's simply a case of whether you like it visually or not, because the quality is the same either way.

Being confident that the visual device is of no compromise to the workmanship, I would like it I think, provided it is genuine. Adding in glue where none squeezed out, that's a waste. If an artist is to leave 'evidence' it should be real and not manufactured for effect.
                  Exactly how I feel about deconstruction in fashion. There is a difference between doing it well and leaving your seams unfinished because you are lazy and also looking for a way to cut costs while hiding behind something conceptual.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

and how i feel about deconstruction in philosophy: there is a difference between being complex because the subject matter is tricky or the solution you offer is technical (scientific work is like that), and being obscure because it's easier than being clear and articulate (derrida and his gang are like that)
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• nevermind
                      • Sep 2007

^those names/movements only gain traction in an american setting don't they? as in, they were completely ignored in their home town of paris but were able market their wares elsewhere.

is this flourishing in an abroad setting characteristic of most the exports from france (foucault, barthes, d&g) ? or do they actually get some notice at home?

genuinely curious

(this is in a sense related to fashion)

Comment

• BSR
                        • Aug 2008

deconstruction is quite famous and discussed in France, I'm not sure i understand what you are saying
                        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• nevermind
                          • Sep 2007

ah yes, that's the kind of answer i was looking for.

been overhearing some friend's discussions on schools of philosophy, and the impression it gave me was that derrida/deconstruction has more enthusiasm abroad than in france

Comment

• Null12
                            • Oct 2013

...Just like... Rip it up and stuff idk... Lol jk,jk.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by SuE View Post
                              Use fromjapan's item search instead
                              Thanks a lot!

Comment

• rickandjulius
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Null12 View Post
                                ...Just like... Rip it up and stuff idk... Lol jk,jk.

Does Tatsuro just not speak english well and that's why he has someone speak for him or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎