• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I understand. You may automatically think you can get a substitute. Tell you what though - I still wear my basic Jil Sander l/s tee that I bought about 11 years ago. It's amazing how good her quality was - it hasn't lost a iota of shape or color. So don't call me an old man when I say they don't make 'em like they used to...
    It has a stigma about it..."cheap" comes to mind. I have several cotton pieces that have held up quite nicely, so I'm not sure why I always think this, but I can't help it....I think it boils down to the fact that if something costs a lot, it should be made from a more luxurious fabric.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• cowsareforeating
      • Jan 2011

^well if it makes you feel better cotton has more than doubled in price over the past year or so...

but i agree. cotton fails to have an amazing handfeel, and is merely more durable.... SOMETIMES. and i guess it takes up dye real well.
      The only cotton I like will be denim or any thicker tighter woven cotton tbh

however, I guess I would be really annoyed not being able to tumble dry basics.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Some cottons Ann has used are very expensive fabrics. I don't like most of her cotton tailored pieces (like SS11), but her poplin and loose weave fabrics she uses for her shirts are divine, and both are 100% cotton. Plokhov also had some very nice cotton fabrics when he designed for ..... And HL too.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Funny you should say that, I was about to say that I reserve my judgement from Ann, because she seems to know cotton better than anyone else.

Still...even if it has a bit of linen or something in the blend, it makes it a bit more exciting.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• avout
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by eleven crows View Post
            does anyone else find there scope of purchases, or potential purchases, really slimming down? i've only really been in this game for a few years, but there's only three or four designers i really follow with the intention of future wear.
            Originally posted by the breaks View Post
            I would agree that designers are falling off for different reasons (Hedi, Raf, Miyashita etc.) and new ones aren't really stepping up.
            Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
            that i only buy rick, nike and uniqlo makes my life a good deal easier
            I'm with Kunk. For me it's not even that things are getting worse, I just want to have more time in my life to think about other things. If you want to keep up with 15+ designers you almost have to shape your life around that -- which is fine, just not really what I want to do right now.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

There is something to be said about having a uniform. But, that is mostly for your consuming purpose, which is the viewpoint from which kunk posts. But in the context of fashion, where SZ operates, following two designers is inadequate.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Uniforms are my staple...my "uniform" if you will. But agreed that if we only discuss 2 designers, I will have much bored, seeing as, for the most part, CCP and RO seem to be the most discussed (atm anyway), neither of which interest me all that much.

Comment

• Lane
                  • Aug 2010

There is something to be said about having a uniform. But, that is mostly for your consuming purpose, which is the viewpoint from which kunk posts. But in the context of fashion, where SZ operates, following two designers is inadequate.
                  That doesn't really make sense. Cuz I could consume/follow 10 designers at once, and it doesn't make one any more "adherent" to fashion.

kunk is just posting some cynical shit, but I don't see what exactly is wrong if you only find a handful of designers speakin to you.

Comment

• Pumpfish
                    • Sep 2010

You can follow a whole bunch, but actually buy a very limited subset of these.

Personally I tend to buy a number of items from one designer over a season or two, then move on. That may be because I tend to like designers with a distinctive asthetic that doesn't change that much.
                    spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Lane View Post
                      That doesn't really make sense. Cuz I could consume/follow 10 designers at once, and it doesn't make one any more "adherent" to fashion.

kunk is just posting some cynical shit, but I don't see what exactly is wrong if you only find a handful of designers speakin to you.
                      The point is it's not about you, it's about fashion.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

not really a fair comment. i follow plenty, i only buy one. i am interested in the progressions among many designers i don't buy, like ann, ccp, etc. undercover even (whose work i used to buy and still on occasion like). ann's stuff and ccp's just isn't practically applied to my lifestyle, doesn't work for me.

it almost seems you are blending/blurring appreciation with consuming. i don't own any bacon paintings or kienholz installations but i follow/adore both.

i know the intention of the forum but it's simply fact that for every erudite post here, there are probably 5-10 that are simply where'd you get that, that is sick, when do sales start, etc.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

not really a fair comment. i follow plenty, i only buy one. i am interested in the progressions among many designers i don't buy, like ann, ccp, etc. undercover even (whose work i used to buy and still on occasion like). ann's stuff and ccp's just isn't practically applied to my lifestyle, doesn't work for me.

it almost seems you are blending/blurring appreciation with consuming. i don't own any bacon paintings or kienholz installations but i follow/adore both.

i know the intention of the forum but it's simply fact that for every erudite post here, there are probably 5-10 that are simply where'd you get that, that is sick, when do sales start, etc.
                          kunk = economy saver/savior

I'm here for both...I'm a consumer...but also a lover of fashion in general. If we were only here to buy, there wouldn't be any discussion of female fashion (generally). I like to look at labels and comment, even if I don't wear them, but also like to catch a good deal.

On another random/related point - this place is making me fucking poor. I'm now aware of so many things that I now need, even though I didn't know they existed a few months prior.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Maybe I am misconstruing your posts, but as of late they seem from a consumer angle (I don't mean consumer in pejorative sense, but from the "does this suit me?" angle).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post

On another random/related point - this place is making me fucking poor. I'm now aware of so many things that I now need, even though I didn't know they existed a few months prior.
                              But you'll be so fucking stylish!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

But you'll be so fucking stylish!!!
                                Can one be stylish and homeless?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎