X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoubelleMaBelle
    • Feb 2012

i exaggerated for simplicity, but take for example M.A+ / LUC

if you look at the forum circa 2008-2012, people avidly discussed & obsessed over their work

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
      • Apr 2013

what do people talk about here now? I would argue that SZ was much more active then than now though.
      Originally posted by unwashed
      Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
      Originally posted by Ahimsa
      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
        • Feb 2012

granted, there's less activity these days, but anyway people talk about what they can afford to buy, which is less and less about these (once vaunted) brands

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

^I think that's more due to even SZ being more susceptible to trends than we'd like to think. Those labels haven't developed much since their inceptions, whereas Rick is continually pumping out great shit, from new designs to reinterpretations of old.

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
          I think a lot of the pieces are very interesting albeit a little difficult to style with all the dangling shit coming off them. Can't speak to quality though, haven't handled anything in person yet.
          Originally posted by gregor View Post
          craigs work is cool. i find he doesn't live up to the hype created by tumblr and social media and all that, but it's nice enough stuff for the level of work and originality found within. i've handled it a bit in person, and quality is pretty solid. worth buying if that's the look you want.
          I like his work myself, but not in a way that I'd want to wear it. More like, oh that's cool that someone out there is doing that. His designs don't really have enough anger in them for my tastes, though, and I wonder if that rings true for other SZ members. It looks fresh and Zen and peaceful and futuristic and all that, but sort of in a sterile neutered way that an Enya soundtrack is fitting. I could see it filling a techier, strappier niche of old Damir Doma fans, maybe, I dunno.

The amount of hype surrounding him seems a bit off so early in his career, and I wonder if it will be too much for him to live up to. But I guess none of the fashion media wants to be the guys who didn't cover him.
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
            • Apr 2013

I do not know man, I actually think that this place is kind of in a weird situation.

I was trying to think of what the difference between what I buy and what is discussed and I feel pretty alienated. I used to buy a lot of Rick Owens because I liked the older silhouettes(pre moody) but I just have zero connection to the brand anymore, and that is probably the biggest discussed brand here.

FWIW I think Label Under Construction is one of the most complex technical clothing I have bought in the last 6 months. a lot of the artisanal front looks boring but without essentially experiencing LUC in person one could easily dismiss it as expensive basics.

As for M.a aside the hype items, what I consider the some of the true m.a aesthetic, the stuff presented in the following photos:

this kind of relaxed style is being less favored for other styles especially the wider variety of pants which were much wider, idk.

(these are all opinions and do not reflect the userbase of Stylezeitgeist and I am only speaking for myself )
            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• gregor
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
              who? what brands
              i feel as though bbs has somewhat priced themselves out of a lot of the people who would buy it over, say, rick or julius and get a similar look. the urban-nomad-skater undertones don't really set him apart enough from those other brands to cater to the niche he wants to more so than his competitors. ma+ and ph; definitely not, though the raises in price are similarly ludicrous in a lot of cases.

dudley i feel as though it will. coming out of the gate to such large expectation is going to hurt more than help him. i agree as well in terms of the design not having enough passion for me to really want. it's also a little that his pieces wouldn't really fit my wardrobe, but i can appreciate it for the art that it is nevertheless. worth at least a notable amount of the attention he gets.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

like I was once told, the majority user-base purchases the more casual lighter side of brands (rick pre collection) etc. much safer items combined with a lighter style philosophy. ( IMMHO )

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by gregor View Post
                  i feel as though bbs has somewhat priced themselves out of a lot of the people who would buy it over, say, rick or julius and get a similar look.

Funny because I just dropped on 7-8 pieces of SS15, just to seperate myself from _7 and RO.
                  Last edited by TriggerDiscipline; 06-27-2015, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• gregor
                    • Oct 2014

maybe it's just me then

i just don't feel i can personally differentiate enough between the two to see the need to spend the extra cash. don't get me wrong, because i do enjoy boris' work, though i don't feel motivated enough to spend more on it and it has thus become relegated to a brand i purchase on sale. i'd like it if it held better value, but i guess i just don't see it that way.

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by PoubelleMaBelle View Post

though nowadays nobody seems to give a fuck about these brands/designers – probably because they've priced themselves out of the conversation...
                      and because in all those years they worked on their prices instead of their designs

Originally posted by PoubelleMaBelle View Post
                      i imagine the same thing could happen to PH.
                      i've already seen people buying the +500€ new collection. they definitely weren't sz readers or people even remotely influenced by sz.
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                        and because in all those years they worked on their prices instead of their designs
                        This is very true, there has not been much change within some of these brands.

Comment

• scanner
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                          i've already seen people buying the +500€ new collection. they definitely weren't sz readers or people even remotely influenced by sz.

Yep, i've seen people that might be an artist or architect, not even a celebrity or anyone notable, but someone that probably just appreciates that unique item and will rush into a store and drop an easy $5 or 10k on these brands without even knowing the backstory on them. They certainly aren't reading SZ or even googling the brands. There are enough shops carrying these brands that have been around for decades and people with money to spare have no problem trusting the store and SA's. I mean, I've seen people walk in mentioning they want to emulate the look of a show like Peaky Blinders and out they go with an entire PH fit.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by scanner View Post
                            I mean, I've seen people walk in mentioning they want to emulate the look of a show like Peaky Blinders and out they go with an entire PH fit.
                            You've actually seen someone at a fashion boutique asking to be dressed like a TV show?

What the fuck...
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                              You've actually seen someone at a fashion boutique asking to be dressed like a TV show?

What the fuck...
                              I mean a lot of people take photos of celebrities or whatever to their hair stylist. It's also easier to say that than "I want to look, you know. English, but a couple centuries ago. Ah! There we go, make me look like a dapper hunter from 250 years ago! Yes, I realize this isn't a costume store."

Comment

• xeraphim
                                • Nov 2008

is there some ongoing competition between shoemakers to see who can offer the most colour options or something?

(photo: @hide_munich)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎