X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boomslang20117@
    • Sep 2006

Ann Demeulemeester to Exit House

PARIS — Ann Demeulemeester is to exit the fashion house that bears her name.

The Antwerp-based designer dispatched a PDF of a handwritten letter to announce her decision. “A new time is coming both for my personal life and the brand Ann Demeulemeester,” she wrote.

She said the brand now has “its own identity and legacy that is able to continue growing with out me.”

She noted that the company would show men’s and women’s collections for fall-winter 2014 together on Jan. 27 in Paris.

Anne Chapelle, who had been managing director of Demeulemeester’s Antwerp-based house since 1994, took what’s believed to be a majority stake in Demeulemeester’s company in 2005.

The company was also partly owned by Demeuelemeester’s husband, Patrick Robyn.

Chapelle also has a stake in Haider Ackermann.

On Wednesday the Belgian designer said the company would go on, and show men’s and women’s together in January.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I just received the same, hand-written letter. Shocked.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

WTF X 1000.

this is a brand which can't easily be passed on to someone else. it's too closely associated with her image...

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
        WTF X 1000.

this is a brand which can't easily be passed on to someone else. it's too closely associated with her image...

I personally am INCREDIBLY disturbed by this............

Designers, fight for your lives, become better businessmen and Women, and for the love of all that is good, DON'T SELL A MAJORITY STAKE IN YOUR COMPANY
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• i-d-g
          • Sep 2012

between this and the closing of A, it's been an unfortunate couple of weeks here..
          “Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• Crowzer
            • Feb 2011

Wow...
            Ann Demeulemeester label will never be the same...

Comment

• Tegro
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post

I personally am INCREDIBLY disturbed by this............

Designers, fight for your lives, become better businessmen and Women, and for the love of all that is good, DON'T SELL A MAJORITY STAKE IN YOUR COMPANY
              Confused by this response - is there any indication that Ann is leaving because of issues with the ownership? She hasn't owned a majority stake for almost 10 years now... Her letter leaves the impression that she's ready to move on to something else, and (just the opposite of what you're implying actually) that she trusts her staff enough to continue on without her.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tegro View Post
                Confused by this response - is there any indication that Ann is leaving because of issues with the ownership? She hasn't owned a majority stake for almost 10 years now... Her letter leaves the impression that she's ready to move on to something else, and (just the opposite of what you're implying actually) that she trusts her staff enough to continue on without her.
                Yea.......................keep dreaming
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Tegro
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                  Yea.......................keep dreaming
                  Well, as Ann herself wrote: "Ann Demeulemeester is an adult brand now with its own identity and legacy that is able to continue growing without me."

I'm sure some designers have issues with outside ownership, but many more do not, and in this case I'd rather focus on what we do know until something emerges to suggest otherwise. Is it ridiculous to imagine that she's ready to retire and do other things with her life?

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Tegro View Post
                    Is it ridiculous to imagine that she's ready to retire and do other things with her life?
                    Not at all. Fuck, I feel like that many a morning when I wake up.
                    It's incredibly difficult to leave something that has been such a central part to your life, so I trust she has good reasons. Kudos, however sad it might make us here.

Zamb, in the letter she says explicitly "I'm a happy and fulfilled person, ready to create new challenges in life." Sounds entirely plausible.
                    Last edited by mrbeuys; 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM.
                    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

But CCP is still OK right?!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

My article on Ann Demeulemeester's exit in Business of Fashion.

Thank you, Ann Demeulemeester

Ann Demeulemeester | Photo: Willy Vanderperre

NEW YORK, United States — This morning I received a scanned, hand-written letter from the Belgian designer Ann Demeulemeester, announcing her decision to part ways with her brand. First, it was heartwarming to see her familiar, beautiful script, and then came the shock of the content. “I feel it’s time to separate our paths,” she wrote.

After a few minutes my shock subsided. It is always terribly hard to see a designer exit the brand he or she has built from the ground up. But, the tone of the letter seemed peaceful, another chapter of Demeulemeester’s life closing and a new one beginning...

Continue here....
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AngelofDeath
                          • Jun 2012

Wow, what a blow. But it does seem somewhat reassuring, the gentle conviction in the letter, giving the impression that the decision is her own and that she's at peace with it. What that means for the business of things, I suppose, is yet to be seen. It is wholly true that the house that Ann built will never be the same without her, but if she feels like it's time to step away, then I'm happy for her and wish her the best in whatever endeavors she chooses to pursue, even if it's propping her feet up and taking it easy.
                          I want you to tell me who you are in your dreams. Who is there? And is it beautiful like music?

Comment

• AngelofDeath
                            • Jun 2012

Also, beautiful article, Eugene, to have been turned out so fast. I doubt there's anyone more equipped to reflect on the impact Ann has made, both personally and to the industry, than yourself. Cheers.
                            I want you to tell me who you are in your dreams. Who is there? And is it beautiful like music?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Thank you.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎