Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

This is great, Rick should keep doing Rick, who cares if you wanna wear it. Plenty of that in preco.

As always, I'm even more sold after his explanation:
    music

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by aussy View Post
      Subtract the iwokeuplikethis sculptural blanket pieces (essentially the second half of the looks) and you have a solid collection. I just don't see the point of them. They fail to inspire fantasy a la CDG and they're most definitely ugly and unwearable.
      I wish the capes hadn't been rendered in velvet or had been but without that twisted tie at the neck. They look sloppy and cheap as is.
      Ahem :)
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

This moves me in a way I haven't felt since Mountain. Everything that didn't quite work for me in the men's collection is beautifully executed here. The colours, The drapes, even the raver cargo pants. I will always be biased when it comes to Rick but I have to say I really love where he is going. And I really do not get the wearability argument: everything is wearable if you have the guts. Just like everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. :-)
        And I've always loved his post show explanations and this one is no exception.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Mattiassa
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by kwichy View Post
          First reply on here, long time lurker. I'm pretty sure it's just something i've noticed lately, but perhaps its been going on longer than i thought. Anyways, it's just that every time someone prefaces their comment with "not my taste" I ask myself how ridiculous it would be if i went to a critique and a teacher or a peer said that. When people say those things, aren't they missing the point? Rick clearly has a concept here, and seems to be fine with sacrificing wearability for that end; so why say something like "who would wear that?" is that like a business critique? that if it were less clumsy it would sell more? sounds more like something you'd hear on an american morning talk show

You will probably notice, as you go along, that fashion has everything to do with personal taste. And also, that fashion is a commercial product made to sell, even RO. And please, tell us what RO point is, as you seem to be fully aware of this.

Comment

• C.R.E.A.M
            • Feb 2015

What i understand is BEFORE Rick gives an explanation, the collection is plain shit, but AFTER the explanation, it makes sense and it's beautiful?

Is it the same when some of you guys go to the musuem to watch contemporary art? Its shit until someone give you a note about the pieces you're watching?

I think we're all allowed to see with our own eyes, and have an opinion without any guidance, no matter if we're wrong or right, or against what the majority think.
            Anyway, i think this is a shit collection, a lazy one where there's only minor differences between the mens one and the womens. Rick doesnt give a fuck about our opinions, and thats very well this way, i'm just happy we're done with MASTODON. I'll wait for better days.

Comment

• stemcell
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Mascarar View Post
              Hahaha yes thank you, going back and forth between this and autechre all day.

Comment

• stemcell
                • Jul 2011

^^^^ Can't wait to find this specific extended version, usually it makes the rounds on tumblr or he mentions it somewhere— if you find it feel free to share, thanks :)

Comment

• stemcell
                  • Jul 2011

Hand-draping every single garment himself, the designer offers an AW16 collection that he says is ‘maybe as far away from fast fashion as I can do’

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

More on sz-mag
                    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Mar 2009

I would take a sleeveless floor-length puffer in black. Thank you. Rick is at his best when he omits sleeves, as useless as it be. All you need to do is to put on some cashmere opera gloves.

This collection is wonderful, minus the orange and the jnco's.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by C.R.E.A.M View Post
                        What i understand is BEFORE Rick gives an explanation, the collection is plain shit, but AFTER the explanation, it makes sense and it's beautiful?

Is it the same when some of you guys go to the musuem to watch contemporary art? Its shit until someone give you a note about the pieces you're watching?
                        So, I watched his explanation. Yes, it made me understand what he's doing here but it didn't change my opinion of this specific collection. Frankly, I wish more designers would do quick blurbs like his - I think it'd do a world of good for the spectators. The imagination's nice, but it can guide you in to the wrong (I know, subjective) places. If someone is truly enlightened by an explanation, and they have a dramatic conversion of opinion, can you truly blame him/her?
                        who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

I don't think anyone said that. I liked it before the explanation but liked it even more after knowing the concept behind it which gives it more meaning.

Your contemporary art comparison is a good one, because a lot of ignorant people do think all contemporary art is shit (granted there is a lot of shit) because they don't understand the context. An informed analysis should be preferable to a knee jerk one.

Originally posted by C.R.E.A.M View Post

I think we're all allowed to see with our own eyes, and have an opinion without any guidance, no matter if we're wrong or right, or against what the majority think.
                          Anyway, i think this is a shit collection, a lazy one where there's only minor differences between the mens one and the womens. Rick doesnt give a fuck about our opinions, and thats very well this way, i'm just happy we're done with MASTODON. I'll wait for better days.
                          music

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

I like this. SZ photos are fantastic
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• C.R.E.A.M
                              • Feb 2015

I'm always happy to read what Rick has to say about his collections, because yes, as a follower i want to know that he still has a vision, which is - lets be honest - quite rare in this business. Even if i hate the collection.
                              So maybe in 5 or 8 years MASTODON will make sense when taking all of Rick's collections, like a "period" in painting, but for now i just don't like it at all. And i think the "NOW" matters in fashion.

Anyway, i'm exhausted. Good night all.

Comment

• voltbird
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
                                This is by far the worst collection I've seen him do. I wouldn't want my girlfriend in any of these clothes. Or any women as a matter of fact...
                                Thankfully, none of us asked you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎