X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DannyDagger
    • Nov 2018

'Business of Fashion' - Best Fashion Schools 2019

They give multiple lists concerning both design and business/marketing/misc courses at undergraduate and graduate levels.

Undergrad design list:
    The top undergraduate programmes based on performance in the three indices that comprise BoF’s methodology: Global Influence, Student Learning Experience and Long-Term Value.

The methodology behind the lists:
    Fashion News, Analysis and Business Intelligence from the leading digital authority on the global fashion industry.

Personally, I'm very surprised by the lack of Japanese schools in the undergrad design list, though Bunka, Kobe, and Musashino are in the 'insufficient data list'. Could it also be because they're not 'English-friendly' enough?

Anyways, I was interested in your thoughts on the lists.
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DannyDagger View Post
    Personally, I'm very surprised by the lack of Japanese schools in the undergrad design list, though Bunka, Kobe, and Musashino are in the 'insufficient data list'. Could it also be because they're not 'English-friendly' enough?

Anyways, I was interested in your thoughts on the lists.
    Concerning Japanese schools, they teach Japanese pattern-making, which is a completely different system than the west. Though that hasn't stopped design houses (Betsey Johnson stole 2 from CDG, and several SZ brands in EU have them) from hiring them, and should in no way exclude them, but it could also be bias on their education board. Perhaps the language portion is an issue, because for whatever baffling reason the Antwerp school isn't on this list, and last I knew they made you learn Flemish to attend. From the looks of it, it's just extremely western centric. Many of the US schools listed I've never heard of for fashion degrees, and Cornell in particular teaches textile science etc. and not design, although this could be argued looking at Iris van Herpen, but one would have to do some sort of personal study to take that route in said program. My best guess is that they have made deals with some of these schools and are essentially paid advertisements.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
      • Apr 2013

bunka is like sewing bootcamp

most of the output they have is for bunka by bunka perpetuated by this weird notion that Japanese fashion is relevant still, I dont think it really is, but I am beyond biased.
      Originally posted by unwashed
      Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
      Originally posted by Ahimsa
      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• james5848
        • Nov 2019

RISD is essentially the Harvard of art schools in terms of name recognition and famous alumni (including, but not limited to, the founders of Airbnb, animator/comedian Seth MacFarlane, actor James Franco, and fashion designers Nicole Miller and Jill Stuart). Alumni have also received a number of MacArthur “genius” grants. If you attend RISD, you can expect well-funded programs and faculty in the very top of their disciplines.
        It’s unsurprising, then, that RISD was consistently at the top of school rankings for graphic design. It’s one of the most competitive schools on this list and has a strongly established, well-known graphic design program. Work, by the way, you can always order in the absence of time on wow essays. Students apply to RISD overall and do not select a major until midway through their first year of study. Graphic Design is one of the largest undergraduate departments at RISD, with about 165 students. Students graduate with a BFA degree.
        Last edited by james5848; 11-07-2019, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎