Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Czx
    • Feb 2011

Unfortunately I cannot speak on the subject of Russian nor French in terms of literature, will take me years to learn them to use in such way but I do plan to, but I absolutely agree with your take on English Faust, as a reader who mainly reads in Polish. I find Polish absolutely beautiful, it is a work of art, and a godlike one, to me in terms of literature language but I do came to prefer reading in English in some kinds of literature. This applies to works such as writing of Bukowski where the language being more direct only helps in experiencing the writing as it should be - direct.
    Altough I'm kind of a language purist (I just hate reading translations, I can't cope with the feeling that it is not wrote the way the author originally thought it out to be, and yes, because of that I read Sheakspeare in original two years ago struggling with many pages but still had way more pleasure out of it. That is why it pains me so much that I can't read in Russian or French.) I came to liking many of Polish translations. The language is just so suited for literature in its current form I cannot be protesting. This of course depends on how well the translator does his job. But we have many great ones who I would definitely not speak a bad word about.

Also, on the topic of philosophy, I personally enjoy getting philosophy out of essays as much as I enjoy getting it out from literature. I treat it in absolutely different ways. The philosophy I find in books is to me something more personal, indentificable with, and stone written in most cases. But when I read philosophic essays I treat the writing as a, for a lack of better word, science. It is somebody's wisdom and thoughts written down in form that is meant to be rather impersonalized and made to argue with. That's why I see them both perfectly able to coexist and bring as much pleasure and last but not least purpose.

Currently taking a break for serious books and finishing the latest Pratchett, I think the English title is Snuff. Always been a fan of his writing, the one set in Discworld that is, never really read anything disconnect with this series. So light (although as he gets older and his heavy disease progresses it does get less and less lighthearted), easy and fun to read and well packed with that british sense of humor Monthy Pyton was loved for. And he seems like a really nice person, wouldn't mind having a talk with him if I had a chance.
    néant
    Last.FM paranoia
    Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
    0 > ∞

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

Just picked this up for a few bucks walking home from a shoot today.

Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
        • Sep 2009

just finished wait until spring, bandini. my first fante book, and there will definitely be more.

also just read the life and times of henry miller. reads like an intimate conversation with him (it is), and although many of his stories have been retold several times, there's something refreshing about hearing them as they really were, without the literary flourishes. i didn't know he painted, and while his paintings aren't that amazing, his thoughts on painting were my favorite part of the book.

just started

it's like a philosophy of painting but also of the whole history of the human psyche! very much looking forward to spending some time with this.
        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Karamazov
          • Jan 2011

Just finished The Master and Margarita, a translationby Mirra Ginsburg of the censored version. I have to work harder on learning Russian... Maybe I'm being too prolific about it, but this book alone would be incentive enough if I had no other reasons.

Comment

• crtk001
            • Nov 2010

I am currently reading:

my summer list is;
            Eyeless in Gaza by Huxley
            The Genius and The Goddess by Huxley
            Dearest Father by Kafka
            Book of Disquiet by Pessoa
            Summer Reader, Again by Werkplaats Typographie
            Autonomia: Post-Political Politics by Various Authors

Comment

• josecc
              • Feb 2012

End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman

I am going to start this book by Krugman, I have good expectations since I consider that Krugman has been one of the few academics with precise and adequate proposals to avoid a deeper economic depression.

And I just finished this, which I recommend for anybody interested in the use of Network Theory in economics, it is a very good introduction:

Networks, Crowds, and Markets: Reasoning About a Highly Connected World by Kleinberg and Easley

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                • Feb 2012

__

(cross-posted from sz on amazon)
                | | |
                anyone have book recommendations for a fashion anthology / narrative of dress amongst & along different cultures + time periods? was also hoping for a general introduction to the history of modern fashion---from antwerp up to perhaps the early 2000s/// helmut+hedi etc.

basically, i need some style maps (¡circuitous intersections!)

Comment

• howhighthemoon
                  • Dec 2010

found a copy in my flat and am not sure I ever read it as a kid so thought i'd give it a go.

Comment

• luke
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by josecc View Post
                    Networks, Crowds, and Markets: Reasoning About a Highly Connected World by Kleinberg and Easley
                    newest addition to my amazon wishlist. you might really like 'the lights in the tunnel' as well, which i'm finishing up right now and would highly recommend.

Comment

• josecc
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by luke View Post
                      The-Lights-Tunnel-Martin-Ford...
                      Thanks mate, I will read it in this summer.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Reading a Danish translation of ...

Seltsame Sterne Starren Zur Erde,
                        Wedding - Pankow 1976/77(2003)

Emine Sevgi Öydamar

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• homilist
                          • Jun 2012

Just finished:

Sat on my shelf for far too long, finally got around to it.
                          Spend a day in the gulag.

Comment

• shah
                            • Jul 2009

that's an interesting one indeed !

Comment

• Macro
                              • Apr 2008

Just finished: THE SOFT MACHINE, william s. burroughs

Now reading: THE BEST SHORT STORIES OF FYDOR DOSDOYEVSKY
                              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Stopped The Tropic of Cancer for now. Picked up Wolf Hall - vacation ahead :-)
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎