X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yes or No?

Since you guys have been so helpful in giving level headed advice, here's another one. First let me say, I'm a bit schizophrenic with my style in that I'm often torn between a very clean minimal aesthetic and a more indie (pardon the cliche) and avant-guarde look. So my dilemna is, I really like this jacekt, but is it too plain? I don't really need another winter jacket, but it would be nice for variety and for times I don't want to wear my longer wool Dior jacket (see wayw thread).

I tried this on in Chicago in 48, which was a little too voluminous for me (looks like the runway tho), but they said I could get it in a 46. I'll be getting it on sale for about $600, the SA is going to be calling me tomorrow to see if I want it, but I'm really torn.

music

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Meh. Not for $600. Honestly, there is absolutely nothing special about it, so unless it's some incredible quality (which it probably is not, since Jil is gone and there is noone left to obsess over quality as the top ingridient).
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

while being plain might be the point, $600 can be better spent - and a comparable (or better quality) jacket could probably be had at half that price easily. another no

Comment

• implicit
          • Sep 2006

i like the jacket's design but i have to side with coldrice here, it's just not worth the price.

i say pass.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Well, like a lot of this collection, it is better in person, the fabric
            is cool, it's very light and pillow like, but yea it's still kinda
            plain. It also has side slit pockets you can put your hands in,
            since those big square pockets aren't very practical for that. Thanks
            for the opinions, I probably will pass on it.

music

Comment

• deuxmille
              • Nov 2006

I tried on that Jil jacket too, and like you said, it's much better in person, but I wouldn't get it even for 600$.

Comment

• nairb49
                • Dec 2006

I agree, I don't think its worth the price tag. Nice, but not enough.

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

Someone tell me that I don't want that Raf Simon's Paper Jacket:

I'd never wear the thing and it's going to go for a patently unreasonable amount of money most likely, but I'm on the verge of doing something drastic for money.

It's just really aesthetically pleasing and my mind is telling me that I must have it.

Seriously, someone slap some sense into me. I'm only 5' 7, I'd look like a tiny person wearing a huge white bag.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• kucejoe
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]Someone tell me that I don't want that Raf Simon's Paper Jacket:

[/quote]

You don't want that Raf Simons Paper Jacket. There...did that work?

Actually, I considered it for a split second and then I called myself an idiot (out loud). I'm 5'8 and super skinny and I would also look like the Michelin man. It is really cool in concept, but unless you just want to display it (and have the funds to do that) it is just not worth it. Unless you want clothing that you can't realistically wear (which is usually the main point of clothing), don't.

I will admit that there is something alluring about it...................hmmmmm....maybe....no...no... no...no.

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

haha you're not alone.

Comment

• nairb49
                        • Dec 2006

you'd look like a billowing death cloud (think harry potter or something). that might turn you off....

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

"think harry potter" turned me off fairly well.
                          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• deuxmille
                            • Nov 2006

I bidded on that Raf jacket, but I don't think I'll try to win it now... I just want it, wouldn't wear white and skulls.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Say no to skulls, Servo!
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                                • Sep 2006

I just wanted to follow up on the Jil Sander jacket yes or no. I finally braved the horrors of Harrods to check out their huge Jil stock. Although some of the cuts are iffy, as other people have pointed out this collection is full of the most beautiful experimental fabrics. Things you just have to touch. Things I was desperate to know how they made. It reminded me a bit of Issey menswear in that respect (although I don't get the impression many people here are interested in Naoki Takizawa's work).

I understand why casem wanted the jacket now, and I will definitely be back for the sale, when I expect to see it all marked down to 50% off - Harrods customers only buy gaudy crap it seems.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎