Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 283

Thread: Leather care

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjoek View Post
    Recently I bought a vintage leather jacket (horsehide) and the leather has foul smell.

    I heard that put it outside (in open air) would extinguish the odour.
    Nevertheless in my case, the smell is still there after I put it out for 2 x 12 hours.

    Anyone understand on how to make it back to normal?
    Also regarding the colour, if I apply leather conditioner, would the colour back to normal?

    Is it the leather or the lining that smells?

    If you have a trusted dry cleaners or tanner in your hood, then I would take it there...otherwise the DIY approach: use lemon halfs and rub all over the leather...it will lighten the coloring but should attend to the smell...then saddle soap the crap out of the leather (you have to restore moisture)...making sure to develop the creamy lather...then use a leather conditioner.

    If you love the jacket test a small corner or edge before attempting.

  2. #42

    Default

    I just picked up a Julius sheep skin leather blouson and I'm wondering if I need to treat it for the weather here in Seattle. It's the start of the rainy season and this jacket will get some sprinkles no matter how hard I try to avoid it.

    Faust - I see that you recommend not treating the RO leather jacket. Is it sheep skin as well? Anyone know if sheep skin will stain with water spots?

    If I should treat it, what should I use? Most water protectants for leather seem aimed for cow instead of sheep.

    Thanks guys!
    "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

  3. #43
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,733

    Default

    As long as it's not reverse (by the way, nice move on getting away from the term "suede" that traditionally marked inferiority to "real" leather and into "reverse" ), it won't stain Lewis. My RO leather is lamb, softest thing ever.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    As long as it's not reverse (by the way, nice move on getting away from the term "suede" that traditionally marked inferiority to "real" leather and into "reverse" ), it won't stain Lewis. My RO leather is lamb, softest thing ever.

    Awesome! Thanks for the information Faust. Just for my own knowledge, why do some leathers get water stains and others don't? For example, I was told that the SS07 CCP leather jacket (the one with the mesh lining) was notorious for retaining water spots where other seasons of CCP jackets weren't. They're all object dyed and most are calf leather. Is it the finishing treatment?
    "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

  5. #45
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,733

    Default

    I am no leather expert, but it can't be anything else in Poell's case. Overdye is overdye - it may leak if not done well. Or it may have been's Carol's intention, who knows. With suede, it's the texture of the fabric, I think, that retains water stains. (retains rain's stains - I feel like Elisa Dolittle).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I am no leather expert, but it can't be anything else in Poell's case. Overdye is overdye - it may leak if not done well. Or it may have been's Carol's intention, who knows. With suede, it's the texture of the fabric, I think, that retains water stains. (retains rain's stains - I feel like Elisa Dolittle).

    Interesting... I'll start Googling some more. I'm about to put a droplet of water on the inside cuff of my sheep skin jacket and see how it does.
    "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern Hemisphere
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reborn View Post
    Is it the leather or the lining that smells?

    If you have a trusted dry cleaners or tanner in your hood, then I would take it there...otherwise the DIY approach: use lemon halfs and rub all over the leather...it will lighten the coloring but should attend to the smell...then saddle soap the crap out of the leather (you have to restore moisture)...making sure to develop the creamy lather...then use a leather conditioner.

    If you love the jacket test a small corner or edge before attempting.
    Thanks reborn!

    I believe it is the leather that smells because of long time shelves and in turns the lining also became smelled.

    Would you please elaborate more on the DIY approach?
    ________
    Yamaha PW80
    Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011 at 03:42 AM.

  8. #48

    Default

    faust - i have a question regarding your soft rick leather that has gone through the paces. Are you ever afraid of nicking it on a rough corner or something? My favorite RO leather is just ridiculously soft and thin, but i'm sooo cautious when wearing it. Is it tougher than it seems, or do you just develop a second sense for avoiding sharp edges?

  9. #49
    Senior Member MikeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    Full disclosure... this warmish weather in NYC right now has got me sweating through an undershirt, a shirt, and my rick leather. I'm getting annoying white sweat marks on this damn thing near the pits. It comes off with a wet towel but I'm afraid a stain is going to set in the leather or something.

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjoek View Post
    Thanks reborn!

    I believe it is the leather that smells because of long time shelves and in turns the lining also became smelled.

    Would you please elaborate more on the DIY approach?

    Step one: Buy lemons (6 should be more than enough).
    Step two: Cut a lemon in half.
    Step three: using the juicy cut side, rub the lemon over the leather in a circular motion. (please note this is a messy procedure). Using a dry cloth, wipe off excess moisture & crap.
    Step four: Repeat step three until you have rubbed lemon all over the jacket.
    Step five: Air dry the jacket.
    Step six: If the jacket smells like lemons proceed...if still smells rank (repeat steps 2 - 5).
    Step 7: using a moist (with water) cloth, rub a schmear of saddle soap onto the jacket. In a circular motion, rub the soap into the leather (the soap should turn creamy).
    Step 8: wipe excess creaminess off the jacket with a damp cloth.
    Step 9: let the jacket air dry.
    Step 10: Optional: using a dry cloth, in a circular motion, rub leather conditioner all over the jacket. and let dry.

    Hope it helps.

    PS: My grandfather showed me this cleaning technique when I was a wee boy. It works but its time consuming.

  11. #51
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chim View Post
    faust - i have a question regarding your soft rick leather that has gone through the paces. Are you ever afraid of nicking it on a rough corner or something? My favorite RO leather is just ridiculously soft and thin, but i'm sooo cautious when wearing it. Is it tougher than it seems, or do you just develop a second sense for avoiding sharp edges?
    Yea, I know what you are saying - I am also afraid of that. Not that it precludes me from wearing the jacket.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  12. #52

    Default

    Speaking of knicks, I noticed a 1mm perfectly straight "cut" on the underside of the forearm of my new sheepskin Julius jacket.

    Can this be fixed? If so, how and what should I use?

    This wasn't something I did and the folks at Blackbird are happy to pay for the fix. Anyone know a good leather place in Seattle?

    Thanks!
    "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

  13. #53

    Default

    I just bought a washed gray/tan suede harrington-style jacket - anyone have experiences with suede outerwear? Recommendations on a waterproofing spray?

  14. #54

    Default

    Don't spray light colored suede, especially if it is very soft. It will change the color and feel, in my experience. Magic Eraser used dry will remove scuffs (gently please).
    Quote Originally Posted by DRRRK View Post
    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

  15. #55

    Default

    Does anyone know a place in NYC where I can buy Pecard or Meltonian leather lotion?

  16. #56

    Default

    Leffot in NYC has even better: Saphir.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRRRK View Post
    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

  17. #57

    Default

    Perfect, thanks!

  18. #58
    Senior Member comedyzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco and Los Angeles
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I have a pair of dark brown Julius engineer boots that I want to dye black. Has anyone had experience dying their boots? I am afraid that they will have a "painted" look. I did ask a cobbler and he said he would just dye it as is.....I would think stripping the boot first would be required first...but I really have no idea.

  19. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comedyzen View Post
    I have a pair of dark brown Julius engineer boots that I want to dye black. Has anyone had experience dying their boots? I am afraid that they will have a "painted" look. I did ask a cobbler and he said he would just dye it as is.....I would think stripping the boot first would be required first...but I really have no idea.

    Read this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=45530

    Then look here for supply:
    http://www.fiebing.com/Home.aspx

    The key to not having that painted look is using many very thin coats of dye, allowing each coat to dry and polishing between the coats.

  20. #60

    Default

    For my Guidi reversed stag derbies I use a smooth leather shoe cream and clean them from dust after each use. Do you guys recommend me to use other treatments as well? oil, etc?
    Last edited by thaiison; 06-30-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •